IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Freakin' smell when wot.. Solved..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 03:25 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When you have your MVAC system on its fresh air setting air needs to escape somewhere or it would be useless and you'd probably end up messing up the system. You'd essentially be trying to pressurize the cabin if there was no place for the incoming air to escape to which means your fan would be trying to move a lower pressure to a higher pressure. Granted there are plenty of other places for air to escape like around the door handles/tweeters.

When you need to dehumidify in the winter let us know if it still works or not. That will be the time when covering up fresh air or pass-throughs would cause the most issues. You bring in cold air with a much lower absolute humidity and then heat it up (sometimes passing it over your cold evaporator coil first to remove even more moisture depending on car) making it significantly dryer. The moisture then easily evaporates with a much lower relative humidity. If there not enough air being brought in you may see issues with moisture removal performance.

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 04-28-16 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 03:59 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting fix that I will have to try one day too
Old 04-28-16, 04:25 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
When you have your MVAC system on its fresh air setting air needs to escape somewhere or it would be useless and you'd probably end up messing up the system. You'd essentially be trying to pressurize the cabin if there was no place for the incoming air to escape to which means your fan would be trying to move a lower pressure to a higher pressure. Granted there are plenty of other places for air to escape like around the door handles/tweeters.

When you need to dehumidify in the winter let us know if it still works or not. That will be the time when covering up fresh air or pass-throughs would cause the most issues. You bring in cold air with a much lower absolute humidity and then heat it up (sometimes passing it over your cold evaporator coil first to remove even more moisture depending on car) making it significantly dryer. The moisture then easily evaporates with a much lower relative humidity. If there not enough air being brought in you may see issues with moisture removal performance.
Again, our cabin is not a completely sealed area even with everything closed, so i think pressurization in the cabin exists very minimal to do some major / minor damage if any, air will escape somewhere.. Also i live in san diego, i don't really "dehumidify".. So far the fix has worked for me.. I have opened up the f where before i would get that smell from the rear but now is non-existent.. Other than sealing those flaps, i don't see any other solution presented.. As always ymmv..
Old 04-28-16, 04:47 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
Again, our cabin is not a completely sealed area even with everything closed, so i think pressurization in the cabin exists very minimal to do some major / minor damage if any, air will escape somewhere.. Also i live in san diego, i don't really "dehumidify".. So far the fix has worked for me.. I have opened up the f where before i would get that smell from the rear but now is non-existent.. Other than sealing those flaps, i don't see any other solution presented.. As always ymmv..
Okay, well I wasn't referring to the car blowing up. I'm talking about mechanical performance. As far as dehumidification is concerned SD is the exception to the rule. Most of the rest of us do have to remove condensation off the windows to be able to drive. At least at certain times of the year.

If it's working for you that's awesome. I was just asking for feedback.
Old 04-28-16, 09:38 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
Okay, well I wasn't referring to the car blowing up. I'm talking about mechanical performance. As far as dehumidification is concerned SD is the exception to the rule. Most of the rest of us do have to remove condensation off the windows to be able to drive. At least at certain times of the year.

If it's working for you that's awesome. I was just asking for feedback.
I understand your concern and apprehension.. But again i only present a solution.. A solution that works.. In no way am i advocating that everyone here do it.. If you can deal with the smell, all the best, if you are looking for a fix, well here's probably one of many you can do.. By no means is it perfect as with everything.. Is it worth the consequences if any, from where i stand, absolutely.. Just came in testing it again and the smell is but a history., so there's your feedback.. Peace..
Old 04-28-16, 10:12 PM
sy02
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to tape up the flap that is found on each end rear side of your car.. This thing is very close to the exhaust which suggest fumes coming in from there..

Attachment 386014

You can move the wires to gain better access

This is what you need to remove

Attachment 386015

Freaking flap is almost gone

Attachment 386016

Cover it with tape.. Color doesn't matter since it wont be seen anyway.. Also make sure to give a little extra on each end of the tape to go past the corners.. It will serve as an extra hold since it will be between the flap device and the body frame..

Attachment 386017

Inside..<br/>

Attachment 386018

And outside.. Again dont worry about the color of tape you use.. Nobody can see it

Here it is back after tape install

Attachment 386019

I should point out that the drivers side is easy to remove since there is enough space.. Just push the two clips that hold it, push the thing out little bit and pull it back in or you can just push the whole thing and it will drop on the side of the fender.. The passenger side is a little bit tricky since the amp is blocking the way.. To reinstall just push it back from outside the body frame.. There is enough space to work with but you will be lying on the ground.. Anyway did a quick run and PRESTO! No more freaking fart smell.. I figured the smell has to come from somewhere and that is the only thing i can think off... I don't think it comes from the front since most of the smell comes fron the rear.. YMMV.. Good luck
where is the flap exactly located
Old 04-28-16, 10:28 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to tape up the flap that is found on each end rear side of your car.. This thing is very close to the exhaust which suggest fumes coming in from there..

Attachment 386014

You can move the wires to gain better access

This is what you need to remove

Attachment 386015

Freaking flap is almost gone

Attachment 386016

Cover it with tape.. Color doesn't matter since it wont be seen anyway.. Also make sure to give a little extra on each end of the tape to go past the corners.. It will serve as an extra hold since it will be between the flap device and the body frame..

Attachment 386017

Inside..<br/>

Attachment 386018

And outside.. Again dont worry about the color of tape you use.. Nobody can see it

Here it is back after tape install

Attachment 386019

I should point out that the drivers side is easy to remove since there is enough space.. Just push the two clips that hold it, push the thing out little bit and pull it back in or you can just push the whole thing and it will drop on the side of the fender.. The passenger side is a little bit tricky since the amp is blocking the way.. To reinstall just push it back from outside the body frame.. There is enough space to work with but you will be lying on the ground.. Anyway did a quick run and PRESTO! No more freaking fart smell.. I figured the smell has to come from somewhere and that is the only thing i can think off... I don't think it comes from the front since most of the smell comes fron the rear.. YMMV.. Good luck
Do not remove the flaps.. I did this to prevent vibration from the subwoofer... I regretted it right away.. Exhaust smell was all over the car.. Be careful if you have to remove it.. you can easily break the plastic hinges on it.
Old 04-28-16, 10:29 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sy02
where is the flap exactly located
Remove your rear bumper, it's near the middle bottom of each side..
Old 04-29-16, 06:24 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Do not remove the flaps.. I did this to prevent vibration from the subwoofer... I regretted it right away.. Exhaust smell was all over the car.. Be careful if you have to remove it.. you can easily break the plastic hinges on it.
trunk vent flap was not removed permanently.. it was sealed and reinstalled so no exhuast smell can come in..
Old 04-29-16, 06:27 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Remove your rear bumper, it's near the middle bottom of each side..
no need to remove your bumper.. access is thru your trunk on each corner, underneath the plastic trays
Old 04-29-16, 10:39 AM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I would describe the smell that I get when I WOT as more like a fumy electric smell. Thanks for showing us where this may be coming from and making me feel a lot easier knowing it's quite common...
Old 04-29-16, 10:57 AM
av8or
Intermediate

also for those that want to keep the flap as it is, check that it is not damaged.. mine has become brittle and is falling into pieces.. if you need new vent ducts ( that's the technical name for it) the part number is 6293012160.. stealership i called is asking $67.. online it sell for $33.

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...fda5abfe3bccd/
Old 04-29-16, 04:52 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone else actually tried taping them off and punching the petal??

That sulfur smell is awful...
Old 04-29-16, 06:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

They are called "Roof Side Ventilators" in the parts book

Body: 61-02: ROOF SIDE VENTILATOR

QUARTER VENT, DUCT ASSY, LH = 62930-12160
QUARTER VENT, DUCT ASSY, RH = 62930-12160

I wouldn't tape them up or seal them.. If they aren't working anymore, replace them with new ones..

If you have SULFUR / Exhaust smell entering the cabin at WOT.. Then something else might be the problem

Joe Z
Old 04-29-16, 07:57 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Z

If you have SULFUR / Exhaust smell entering the cabin at WOT.. Then something else might be the problem

Joe Z
i sealed them and no more smell.. what does that say? i think that was the problem.. other solution suggest change gas, replace cabin air filter, get new exhaust...wonder how those turned out.. some say the problems lies in the catalytic converter, inherent problem in all toyotas ( i dunno).. bottom line, like it or not, it's up to you.. if anyone finds another possible cheap solution, i'm all ears.. and willing to try.. but for now, i'm enjoying my sulfur smell free cabin, until someone pulls my finger that is...

btw i did change my cabin air filter but smell was still there..

Last edited by av8or; 04-29-16 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Freakin' smell when wot.. Solved..