IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla exhaust help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 02:37 AM
Ramfis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Borla exhaust help!!

i'm interested on a Borla catback system, so I started reading few posts but now I'm very confussed. Comments are all over the place. Some says there is no drone and a subtle rumble deep sound (which is what I wanted) but others says it is an anoying loud system, and drone is driving them crazy. So, need to decide, please some light here...
Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-16, 04:31 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

There is drone at ~1800-2200 RPMs when the engine is under load.. I usually drive in manual mode, so I can avoid cruising in those RPMs. Otherwise, the subtle rumble deep sound is accurate. It's definitely a deep rumble.. Maybe a bit too deep IMO. Sometimes there's some excessive vibration in the cabin on cold start. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the sound. When cruising in most gears with RPMs greater than 2500, the exhaust is fairly quiet and unobtrusive, but sounds pretty sweet under hard acceleration.

I would like to find a solution for the drone.. If I can find an exhaust shop I can trust to do custom work, I might look into some helmholtz resonators. Though, there may not be sufficient space for something like that.

-Mike
Old 04-25-16, 06:19 AM
Ramfis
Driver

Originally Posted by mikersoft
There is drone at ~1800-2200 RPMs when the engine is under load.. I usually drive in manual mode, so I can avoid cruising in those RPMs. Otherwise, the subtle rumble deep sound is accurate. It's definitely a deep rumble.. Maybe a bit too deep IMO. Sometimes there's some excessive vibration in the cabin on cold start. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the sound. When cruising in most gears with RPMs greater than 2500, the exhaust is fairly quiet and unobtrusive, but sounds pretty sweet under hard acceleration.

I would like to find a solution for the drone.. If I can find an exhaust shop I can trust to do custom work, I might look into some helmholtz resonators. Though, there may not be sufficient space for something like that.

-Mike
Thanks a lot Mike
Old 04-25-16, 06:24 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have borla and love it. I don't really mind the drone bc I like to hear the sound of the exhaust. I will tell you that its louder then factory but it is not obnoxious. I would recommend to anyone and decently priced as well.

here is a sound clip.
Old 04-25-16, 06:29 AM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

^ nailed it, I was torn between the Joe Z and Borla , I decide with borla because in my opinion joe z is a tad too loud
Old 04-25-16, 07:23 AM
ebbsnflows
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same research and read the same reviews. It's clear that the definition of "loud" varies from forum member to forum member. One member would say the Borla was loud...others would say it was quiet. The only constant I found in my research was that the Joe Z was louder than the Borla. Practically everyone agreed on that. That comparison ultimately led me to buying the Joe Z. Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, the Joe Z is not very loud either. Is it loud for a family sedan? Sure. Is it loud for a 400+ HP V8 engine? Not even close. My search for "moar loud" continues.
Old 04-25-16, 07:50 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbsnflows
I did the same research and read the same reviews. It's clear that the definition of "loud" varies from forum member to forum member. One member would say the Borla was loud...others would say it was quiet. The only constant I found in my research was that the Joe Z was louder than the Borla. Practically everyone agreed on that. That comparison ultimately led me to buying the Joe Z. Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, the Joe Z is not very loud either. Is it loud for a family sedan? Sure. Is it loud for a 400+ HP V8 engine? Not even close. My search for "moar loud" continues.
That's why I opted for the ISS Forged QES. It definitely makes its presence known. Even at low cruising speeds I call it rumble in the bronx...lol. Except I'm in Miami...lol. Really though, it has a deeeeep sound to it. I drown out my buddies 2016 SS Camaro system. He opted for the dual stage valve exhaust option and modified the valve to stay open at all times. Make no mistake his sounds amazing too! The QES most definitely drones at low rpm too, but I absolutely love it! I get compliments all the time. "is that a v8 under there? It sure is!...damn it sounds so powerful!" And I just smile...lol. Plus I get the added feature of getting rid of my stock diffusers. I heard the meistershaft and arqray systems. There definitely up there too when it comes to wanting to **** off your neighbors loud. Here's a pic of my QES.

Old 04-25-16, 08:33 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently switched from HKS to Borla (PPE, no cats). I also noticed a variety of reviews on sound and drone and based on my experience perhaps this is why:

After the original install, I noticed there was a lot of vibration inside the cabin. Coins in my ashtray would rattle and I could *feel* the vibration in the floor board. After 30 mins of driving my feet would literally tingle due to the vibration. It was also fairly loud inside due to this and had some drone around 2K rpm. I just figured it was normal to the Borla exhaust because it was so deep.

However, during hard right hand corners I noticed the vibration would go away the sound reduced. Went back to the shop and found the driver side primary pipe was rubbing against a brace just past the transmission where the exhaust pipe bends in toward the center of the car. Sorry I can't remember the exact part and I don't have a good picture. We trimmed this area down slightly to give more clearance.

This changed the sound inside completely. More smooth and subtle inside. No more rattles and vibration, no tingling feet, and no drone at all. My HKS system was much louder and did drone in the 1800 rpm range. The Borla is just pure exhaust note from idle to 7K. Very quiet when cruising and turns heads when accelerating. I am digging it.
Old 04-25-16, 09:09 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Someone mentioned previously that when adding PPE Headers with the Borla it eliminates that slight drone.
Old 04-25-16, 10:24 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The trick for using the Borla exhaust system is to follow the installation instructions closely. Install as indicated and then slowly tighten all the fittings after being sure they are properly seated. Twist every pipe (use a lubricant if you have to) for maximum clearance as you tighten the clamps. Re-secure a final time to be sure.

Installation, I'm sure, can affect the sound level.
Old 04-25-16, 10:33 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Seeing that you also drive a G35 with headers, high flow cats and exhaust, the Borla catback system is a lot quieter than that set up. Compared to stock, yes, the borla system creates some noise when the car is fully warmed up, but its one of the quieter aftermarket systems out there. I actually wish it were a bit louder... I could barely hear my car when I'm driving next to a mustang, camaro, a truck with flowmasters, etc.
Old 04-25-16, 11:18 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have borla and it's definitey a big improvement over stock. Added good power too. I thought it was a little quiet, now I have PPE headers and its perfect for me.
Old 04-25-16, 01:11 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Bora is well made & a good value. The F is the 3rd car I've had a Borla on-no regrets.
Old 04-25-16, 08:24 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Same here have had my Borla going on 3 months and it's been great! I love the sound/power and for me the sound is perfect. I don't really hear any drone that some complain about, but again it's all subjective to individual drivers ears (some more sensitive than others). I heard the Joe-Z before and thought it was a little to loud for my taste especially the drone in the cabin, so for me the Borla was the sweet spot plus it's lighter
Old 04-25-16, 09:51 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
I have borla and love it. I don't really mind the drone bc I like to hear the sound of the exhaust. I will tell you that its louder then factory but it is not obnoxious. I would recommend to anyone and decently priced as well.

lexus ISF 2011 borla exhaust sound - YouTube

here is a sound clip.
Thanks for the clip, this is helping...

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust help!!