IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla exhaust help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 09:58 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
I recently switched from HKS to Borla (PPE, no cats). I also noticed a variety of reviews on sound and drone and based on my experience perhaps this is why:

After the original install, I noticed there was a lot of vibration inside the cabin. Coins in my ashtray would rattle and I could *feel* the vibration in the floor board. After 30 mins of driving my feet would literally tingle due to the vibration. It was also fairly loud inside due to this and had some drone around 2K rpm. I just figured it was normal to the Borla exhaust because it was so deep.

However, during hard right hand corners I noticed the vibration would go away the sound reduced. Went back to the shop and found the driver side primary pipe was rubbing against a brace just past the transmission where the exhaust pipe bends in toward the center of the car. Sorry I can't remember the exact part and I don't have a good picture. We trimmed this area down slightly to give more clearance.

This changed the sound inside completely. More smooth and subtle inside. No more rattles and vibration, no tingling feet, and no drone at all. My HKS system was much louder and did drone in the 1800 rpm range. The Borla is just pure exhaust note from idle to 7K. Very quiet when cruising and turns heads when accelerating. I am digging it.
Great thanks for the note, I'll check for contact points when installed.!!
Old 04-25-16, 10:04 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Seeing that you also drive a G35 with headers, high flow cats and exhaust, the Borla catback system is a lot quieter than that set up. Compared to stock, yes, the borla system creates some noise when the car is fully warmed up, but its one of the quieter aftermarket systems out there. I actually wish it were a bit louder... I could barely hear my car when I'm driving next to a mustang, camaro, a truck with flowmasters, etc.
Yes, exactly, my G is very loud, I always had exhausts systems on my cars, but I didn't want to be that loud this time, so I guess Borla is the way to go...thanks!!
Old 04-25-16, 10:09 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Really appreciate all the replies, it's decided I'm going for th Borla; just gonna call tomorrow to the lexus dealership to make sure it will not affect my car warranty. Thanks all!!!
Old 04-25-16, 10:48 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to be fair I think the borla sounds very nice from the outside....deep, smooth v8 rumble..not very trucker-like from some of the domestic muscles.....distinctive enough without being overly loud...but it does have interior drone from 1500-2200 rpm, which you get a lot in regular driving around town at 8th speed. I think it sounds a lot nicer outside than inside. It's a great value, nothing is perfect
Old 04-26-16, 11:34 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is definitely droning. Even with the borla venturis add-on to reduce it. The droning is fine if you are driving short distance.. But if you plan on long trip it will get really annoying. I have I/H/E upgrades with venturis add-on and sound proofing the trunk/rear seats.. There is still droning.. Still trying to find a solution.
Old 04-26-16, 12:50 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't have this on the F because I feel the drone is not that loud. However, I used them on a previous car. It reduced the drone significantly.

http://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/
Old 04-26-16, 03:33 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Called the Lexus dealership and told me that since the system delets the secondary ctas it'll void my power/train warranty. Still gonna do it and probably change it back if warranty claim is needed.
Old 04-26-16, 03:46 PM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by Ramfis
Called the Lexus dealership and told me that since the system delets the secondary ctas it'll void my power/train warranty. Still gonna do it and probably change it back if warranty claim is needed.
What they told you is nonsense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Old 04-26-16, 03:52 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramfis
That's kind of ridiculous.. The "powertrain" includes many components that have nothing to do with exhaust/emissions. Here's wikipedia's definition..

-Mike

In a motor vehicle, the term powertrain or powerplant describes the main components that generate power and deliver it to the road surface, water, or air. This includes the engine, transmission, drive shafts, differentials, and the final drive...
EDIT: Yeah, what Rickna said!
Old 04-26-16, 05:26 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Originally Posted by mikersoft
That's kind of ridiculous.. The "powertrain" includes many components that have nothing to do with exhaust/emissions. Here's wikipedia's definition..

-Mike

EDIT: Yeah, what Rickna said!
Completely agree with both of you (Mike / Ricka), I said that to the service manager and he blame the company that regulates or provide the warranty...so I knew he didn't have less to say, so...It could be a never ending discussion...I'm still doing it
Old 04-26-16, 05:28 PM
Ramfis
Driver

I actually used the example of a broken water pump, what the F that has to do with the deleted cats??? Nonsense
Old 04-26-16, 06:14 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I don't have this on the F because I feel the drone is not that loud. However, I used them on a previous car. It reduced the drone significantly.

http://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/
Anyone know the correct size to get and how many to get for the borla catback? Is there any back pressure and power loss?
Old 04-27-16, 05:00 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
There is definitely droning. Even with the borla venturis add-on to reduce it. The droning is fine if you are driving short distance.. But if you plan on long trip it will get really annoying. I have I/H/E upgrades with venturis add-on and sound proofing the trunk/rear seats.. There is still droning.. Still trying to find a solution.
Do you have primary cats or are you catless?
Old 04-27-16, 09:59 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Anyone know the correct size to get and how many to get for the borla catback? Is there any back pressure and power loss?
I'm not sure of the OD of the Borla for the F.
What I do remember is that the insert needs to be installed right behind the header flange-at the beginning of the catback. It can be secured by a pop rivet or tack weld. Don't use screws as they could vibrate out.
The car I had it on was a Hyundai Tiburon 3L V6 stage 2 supercharged, Hotshot headers with Magnaflow cats and Borla catback. I used the 2 disk inserts and the drone was almost eliminated and over all the exhaust was quieter. I didn't notice a reduction in power, I didn't dyno after I installed them.
Old 04-27-16, 01:08 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anybody know if there's any drone on this system with the bazooka tips from rr-racing?

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust help!!