IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Post Track Day Parts Review: Figs Spherical Race Bushing, RR Tune, AD08R

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 07:09 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Post Track Day Parts Review: Figs Spherical Race Bushing, RR Tune, AD08R

I might not be as busy on the track as Tammer these days (I8ABMR) but I did some updates from my last track days, and wanted to provide some additional real-world feedback on these parts.

1. Figs Engineering Zero Deflection track-grade FLCA #2 bearing
For many of us, inner tire wear was an issue with the ISF. I would venture a bet that one of the most common mods is the FLCA #2 bushing replacement from either Figs or RR Racing. I upgraded the OEM bushing to the Figs 90 Duro bushing and had the same experience many of you did. Enhanced steering feel, tighter wheel control during heavy braking, and crisper turn-in. Now, take those same enhanced results and multiply them by, a lot. The new spherical bearing is the 90 duro on 'roids. When Figs says 'zero-deflection' he absolutely means it. I ran Yoko AD08R tires on my last track day, and its about at close to a street legal R-comp as it gets, and under threshold braking the wheel stayed put. I would have been able to let go of the wheel completely and been confident that there would be no play as the big 265 series tires up front chirped their way to a slow. Turn in was immediate and direct, without any guess work as to where the car was going or if there was going to be any unwanted slop in the front suspension. Every time I slammed the brakes after the front straight was the same result, super stiff steering wheel with no play. So, how are they on daily duty? NVH is increased but to a very tolerable level. Keep in mind that I'm also running Figs Penske Coilovers that utilize a spherical lower mount, so NVH was already increased. After a few miles of driving I didn't even notice it, and the pro's of these most definitely outweigh the negligible amount of NVH increase. Worth every penny IMO. If you track your F, get these bearings.

2. RR Racing ECU Tune:
Everyone is concerned about baselines and dyno results for the tune. Well, I've done neither, but I will tell you that I picked up 4.5s and 8.3 mph on my previous best run at AMP. Have I gotten better, yes. Did I have some better tires, yes (see below). Did the Figs track-grade bearings help me go slow-faster, which makes me faster, yes (see above). But I can tell you with the utmost certainty that the tune is for real. How do I know? Gears. When I'm on the track one of my most 'paid-attention to' controllables is what gear I'm in when I come out of a turn. I take notes after every session-2nd out of the apex of turn 6, 3rd through the carousel of turn 14 into 4th at 15, carry speed into the straight, shift into 5th after the apex of 16, top speed 106. This round, I was able to hold a higher gear in all three of those turns and increase my top speed to 114.3. The most noticeable difference is the increased mid-range torque. Being able to pull higher top speeds in a higher gear tells the story. If you want a faster F, get the tune.

3. Yokohama Advan AD08R:
Holy Mother of God. Last season I ran Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 245/35 and 275/30 and was happy with their performance. I had no idea what I was missing. After getting feedback from our resident guru (I8ABMR) on these tires, and reading countless reviews on NT01, R888, and the likes, I decided to go with these for a daily-to the track-tire. I went a little outside the box, doing my best to get a square set-up and am running 265/30 and 275/30 (only because my front wheels are 8.5" wide and won't take a 275). I'm sure everyone and their brother will have an opinion on the sizes, but whatever, I took a risk, and it paid off immensely. Understeer, what understeer? Braking performance, yeah its there. I was able to mash the pedal at least 10% harder, and go about 10 yards deeper into the braking zone before doing so. Sticky on the carousel, out of a turn, WOT, sure, no problem whatsoever. The couple of times they did get loose, I was able to throttle steer back into position without ever letting up. Incredible feedback, grip, and control. If you track your F, get these tires.

So, full disclosure, I'm not an engineer or a race car driver. I don't know the fancy technical terms associated with my experiences, and like I told my F buddies around here, this review would include words like, super fast, butt-hole clenching, and sticky-so there they are.

Get out on the track, stock or modified, and let your F stretch her legs. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-22-16, 08:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

MAN !!!! I loved this review. Well written. Good stuff from a track star. You have some really nice equipment on your F bud. I might need to step it up. I will check out Figs FLCA #2 bearing. Never thought I would say this but I almost want my F louder. Have been toying with the idea of headers but Im scared lol. Anytime I want to do something cosmetic to the car I stop myself and think, you need tires bro !!! lmao It is what it is . Would love a set of coils, headers, Toms lip and Toms diffuser . Since October I went through a set of fronts and 2 sets of rears. I am totally going to buy the AD08R again. Unless I'm feeling spendy and I drop 2k on the PSCup2s. I want them badly but I keep thinking the AD08R is like $650 cheaper per set. That's like 4 track days. lol. BTW Thanks for posting your video to F THE TRACK !! Did Cam go with you too ?

I have massive respect for RR Racing, Figs, and Joe Z Performance. They all make amazing parts, bring the community together , and support the community with great technical objective info and data
Old 04-22-16, 10:03 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super fast sticky butt hole clenching!
Old 04-22-16, 10:29 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been thinking about figs zero deflection as well. Your review may just get me to buy it! I'm glad to hear more track stories on our F.
Old 04-22-16, 10:30 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Awesome lines Zach and great video. I love the 1.1 diagonal G's you are putting down.Thanks for the review and the feedback.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-23-16, 10:07 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review!
Just starting tracking my F, so this is hugely useful info - thanks for that!
Old 04-23-16, 10:25 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice write up Zach...your track seems very clean over there, not here in Ca, bunch of dirt and gravel..lol..