IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Muffler delete: to extend or not to extend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 12:02 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Muffler delete: to extend or not to extend?

so I'm going to use a sawzall to cut off my mufflers this Saturday. should I go to a shop and get the exhaust extended to the exhaust diffusers of leave as is. I"ll leave as is and see how I like the sound ect then decide if I should do secondary cat delete or replace just the mufflers with aftermarket or both.
Old 04-22-16, 12:34 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sawzall eh.. haha. I'd extend it simply so you're exhaust fumes don't vent out the sides and into the car at idle. If it's out the back at least it's that much further from you.

I'd also wait and see if you like it. Wouldn't want you to sawzall the secondary cats off and have to extend again .
Old 04-22-16, 12:46 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Your best bet is to unbolt (not sawzall) and remove the muffler section and determine if you like the sound. If you do - chop away!

I run muffler delete with the extended pipes. The setup sounds is great, but it drones a bit at ~2K RPM under light acceleration.
Old 04-22-16, 02:58 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Survival of the fittest. I say we offer no advice and let nature sort things out.
Old 04-22-16, 07:14 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by j3ff
Sawzall eh.. haha. I'd extend it simply so you're exhaust fumes don't vent out the sides and into the car at idle. If it's out the back at least it's that much further from you.

I'd also wait and see if you like it. Wouldn't want you to sawzall the secondary cats off and have to extend again .
I don't think that'll be an issue as it's only 16 inches I'm cutting off. I'll take a sound clip and post, although if you search there's video's of it.

Originally Posted by Vervish
Your best bet is to unbolt (not sawzall) and remove the muffler section and determine if you like the sound. If you do - chop away!

I run muffler delete with the extended pipes. The setup sounds is great, but it drones a bit at ~2K RPM under light acceleration.
I don't stay at 2k RPM very long so I think I'm ok.

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Survival of the fittest. I say we offer no advice and let nature sort things out.
I'm going to make mother nature roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 04-22-16, 09:55 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this done a few weeks ago and I love the sound it gives by not having any mufflers. However, it does drone around 2k rpm as stated above but you can easily control that. I also had my secondary cats and resonator removed. Holy **** was it loud! I quickly reinstalled the resonator and am quite happy with it now. It was all done at a local shop here in Atlanta. They extended the pipe out to the diffuser with a Y pipe and two exiting pipes. The end result looks and sounds great.

Old 04-23-16, 10:21 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well don't do it half way. You should saws-it-all directly after the oxygen sensors then slap some turn-downs on the little bit of pipe left over. It's going to drone a bit (mumbling under breath "directly under your seats") but you'll both save all that weight and gain all that power.
Old 04-23-16, 10:48 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blckbrd
I just had this done a few weeks ago and I love the sound it gives by not having any mufflers. However, it does drone around 2k rpm as stated above but you can easily control that. I also had my secondary cats and resonator removed. Holy **** was it loud! I quickly reinstalled the resonator and am quite happy with it now. It was all done at a local shop here in Atlanta. They extended the pipe out to the diffuser with a Y pipe and two exiting pipes. The end result looks and sounds great.

that looks really good. I have so many ideas in my head on what to do with the exhaust, but in the end it may cost as much as the X-force exhaust system, so for now just the muffler delete then i'll see about the cat delete and placing the resonator with a dynomax race bullet muffler.

how much where you charged? the oem exhaust is 2 1/2 inches correct?
Old 04-23-16, 10:53 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

And while you're at it, don't forget to sawzall a couple or 3 coils off yer springs.
Old 04-23-16, 11:33 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tas02
And while you're at it, don't forget to sawzall a couple or 3 coils off yer springs.
I'll sawzall yours first for practice.