IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SPC Performance 67530 Adjustable Ball Joint installation

Old 04-22-16, 07:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
Weird..Nalley should have caught that when I originally brought it in for the first alignment...
The dealer will never do this. Ever. You need to have someone who isn't getting paid to install parts to fix this the right way. In '06 when the 2IS was new, there were quite a few people who tried to get their dealers to do this and all the dealer wanted to do was install caster changing rear LCA bushings. Pretty sad if you ask me.
Old 04-22-16, 09:04 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow I gave up trying to remove ball joints and went to GTE to have them install SPC. For anyone out there trying to do this remove upper arm and use a press. Are pilots considered max performance? Car felt better to me (daily driving) with USRS. The GTE guys recommended that I set my camber. I guess that is what happens when you are ignorant. My first track day in the F went well with the SPC, USRS and PSS at AMP. Car felt pretty good

Sorry man, I'm just noticing this. Glad your track day went well, I have been to AMP a few times but couldn't make it their this time due to the financial hurt of my Penske purchase but I will try to shoot for the May 25 trackday if feasible. Pilots SS are really good street tires that can perform on the track but they would not require more aggressive camber settings like a AD08/RE-11 or even a R-comp. Stock settings are completely withing their grip capability- meaning you are going to lose some grip due to their slip angle threshold before having excessive camber gain issues. R-comps and Max performance summer have enough grip to increase dynamic camber gain to a point where adding more negative camber might be desirable.

I can see from your specs they still adjusted your camber within the factor tolerance thus proving that you had more of a left/right camber issue like Lobux said. I really need to check my alignment too but I'm waiting till after I install the Penskes

See ya saturday!
Old 05-03-16, 06:26 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You could have fixed everything with just centering the subframe. Plenty of 2IS were delivered with a camber imbalance from side to side because the subframe needed to be moved. It would also have balanced out the caster probably to dead on the money side to side. Ouch. Lotta work for something that could have been simple.
i went to gte to see if they would adjust my subframe to even out some imbalance in my camber. but the guy on the alignment rack suggested the spc ball joints instead because he was saying he's never had much luck adjusting subframes on the is's......

he said he would try though, so i'm going to head back. but any suggestions on getting it 'centered' or is this tons of trial and error? can it be adjusted while its on the alignment machine so that it can be seen if its evening out the camber?

also, just curious, can the subframe be nudged fwd/backward at all or only side to side?

thanks and sorry if hijack OP. what they charging you for the spc ball joints install?
Old 05-03-16, 08:57 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scamsel
i went to gte to see if they would adjust my subframe to even out some imbalance in my camber. but the guy on the alignment rack suggested the spc ball joints instead because he was saying he's never had much luck adjusting subframes on the is's......

he said he would try though, so i'm going to head back. but any suggestions on getting it 'centered' or is this tons of trial and error? can it be adjusted while its on the alignment machine so that it can be seen if its evening out the camber?

also, just curious, can the subframe be nudged fwd/backward at all or only side to side?

thanks and sorry if hijack OP. what they charging you for the spc ball joints install?
I got charged $255
Old 05-04-16, 11:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The subframe can be moved in all four directions a very small amount. I would suggest going to NTB in Johns Creek next to Lowes. I have been going there for a while now, and they are gearheads themselves. Carlos understands alignment (he's a drift driver), and understands moving the subframe around. I am sure they could solve this for you if you really need it.
Old 05-04-16, 02:10 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

The subframe can be moved in all four directions a very small amount. I would suggest going to NTB in Johns Creek next to Lowes. I have been going there for a while now, and they are gearheads themselves. Carlos understands alignment (he's a drift driver), and understands moving the subframe around. I am sure they could solve this for you if you really need it.

Oh NO!!! I wonder if I need to get subframe adjusted since I jumped the curb (all 4) last month.
Old 05-04-16, 02:18 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

I can see why things should be done in steps because the F drives soooooo much better now. I don't know which mod/change made the biggest improvement: went from all seasons to PSS, USRS, SPC bearing and alignment. Really doesn't matter I have more of a connection/trust with the car. It sucks that I got an RC 350 as a loaner today....
Old 05-04-16, 06:13 PM
scamsel
Advanced

oh man great! thanks for the reco, i'll check them out.
Old 05-04-16, 06:14 PM
scamsel
Advanced

I can see why things should be done in steps because the F drives soooooo much better now. I don't know which mod/change made the biggest improvement: went from all seasons to PSS, USRS, SPC bearing and alignment. Really doesn't matter I have more of a connection/trust with the car. It sucks that I got an RC 350 as a loaner today....
nice man nice, glad its feeling better to you........why did you end up getting a loaner?
Old 05-05-16, 11:36 AM
AshyAnklez
Driver

nice man nice, glad its feeling better to you........why did you end up getting a loaner?

Brought the F in for curbed wheels, and nav voice command sucks and intermittent starting issue.