IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Life long transmission fluid . . .not so fast.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 08:13 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Life long transmission fluid . . .not so fast.

So few threads on low fluid or changing fluid for the ISF box.

One of the common signs of low fluid was the gear hang issue. Well got car out of storage and notice I had this issue occasionally so thought I would call me dealer connection. Car needed inspected so I told them I wanted a flush, alignment and inspection for the F. My guy correctly told me that they dont have a flush machine they would do a drain and fill. I was quoted 550.00 for this service.

So once in the shop and up on the lift found something surprising the gasket on the transmission pan was leaking slightly. So they replaced the gasket and filled the fluid (Extra 150 for gasket and install). The pics show how dirty the fluid was versus the new fresh pink fluid. The tech said I was maybe only a quart low glad I caught it before next track day.

Never saw any spots on garage floor or any other signs of a leak. My cars an 2008 with about 99k and half dozen track days and few quarter mile passes. Food for thought.

Now I still have a brand new tranny in the oem crate but want to save that for a rainy day they retail for like 14k.
Old 04-14-16, 08:16 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is it the particular dealer by you doesn't have a flush machine? or is it all service on the 8 speed only require a drain and fill?
Old 04-14-16, 08:37 AM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the transmission feel after the fluid was replaced?
Old 04-14-16, 09:24 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Smooth shifts great.
Old 04-14-16, 09:32 AM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think the fluid replacement is something that can be tackled as a DIY at home, or recommended to take to the dealership? My ISF is sitting around 42k right now, but I know I'd feel a lot more comfortable with this vital fluid replaced. I have noticed some level of shift flare periodically...
Old 04-14-16, 09:36 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There have been so many topics on this, and there is a huge thread if you search back about this same issue. Lance (Lobox) has sent his transmission fluid to Blackstone labs and they said everything was looking ok. I want to say he was close to 90k when he got that results and he tracks the car too. Just because the fluid is brown doesn't mean it's bad. Most have had to do a fill to keep levels topped off and that is it. There was one documented transmission failure on this forum, maybe two but I think that was luck of the draw. It's unheard of.
Old 04-14-16, 09:44 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same leak around the pan, but it was determined to be a sensor O-ring leaking on top of the transmission.....be sure to keep an eye on this and inspect carefully for staining above the pan area. In my case you could trace the AT fluid down the side of the housing...its difficult to see this and looked exactly like a pan leak. To replace this sensor was a very intrusive process (under warranty) as there is no access to the sensor from under the vehicle.

Sameer getting the fluid level right is the issue for a DIY home project...it is done through the shifter, and a series of blinking transmission lights on the dash. Not an easy process or procedure for home technicians, as the vehicle needs to be shifted into a diagnostic mode which then uses temperature to determine the adequate level. This can be done with a Techstream or by jumping the OBD2 terminals to engage the diagnostic mode, once the proper temperature is reached, the fill plug is pulled (while running) and a small trickle of fluid will flow out of the check plug hole.

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 04-14-16 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:57 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy to do at home drain and fill about 1.7 quart. I did it to my IS350 about 3 time. Transmission oil from dealer cost about $12 a quart.
Old 04-14-16, 08:47 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gears hang a lot in sport mode, thought it was normal. I'm at 85k so maybe have this done at the 90k?

Anyone have thoughts?
Old 04-14-16, 08:58 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How much fluid was replaced????
Old 04-14-16, 09:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great Thread..!!!

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Easy to do at home drain and fill about 1.7 quart. I did it to my IS350 about 3 time. Transmission oil from dealer cost about $12 a quart.
^^ The IS F drain refill of pan is almost 3.75 quarts..

The entire transmission system takes somewhere over 12 quarts I believe...

Joe Z
Old 04-15-16, 04:16 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure assume it all. I can only describe the difference as day and night. I had more of a chance to test it out and would highly recommend for higher mileage cars. Shifts super fast now and buttery smooth. Like a new car. It was worth every penny.
Old 04-15-16, 06:22 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Not sure assume it all. I can only describe the difference as day and night. I had more of a chance to test it out and would highly recommend for higher mileage cars. Shifts super fast now and buttery smooth. Like a new car. It was worth every penny.
The problem is convincing the dealerships to do it. The 2 Lexus dealers I spoke with refuse to touch it. Same with my GX. Think I'll be calling Toyota when I decided to have both of my Lexus vehicles done.
Old 04-15-16, 06:48 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As some may remember I was one of the two unfortunate members of the Broke A** transmission club. The thing is the fluid was fine, I don't have pictures but I checked it out and it "looked" fine and according to the tech the level amount was fine . They went through a pretty rigorous inspection to prove to my 3rd party warranty company that it wasn't neglect or a maint. issue. The thing is that trans fluid is not some magical thing that is the reason why a trans fails, mine was a serious mechanical failure un-related to the fluid. I have worked in the automotive manufacturing world of many years and production defects are just going to happen, no matter how good your QC is. I really think that is what happened to the few of us who had the unfortunate chance of having a trans go. I will agree that older fluid vs. newer /low fluid makes a big difference for shift lag. My replacement trans was used but they had to put in new fluid and it is CRISPY AWESOMENESS now. This makes sense from a hydraulic fluid standpoint since the fluid being low or breaking down/absorbing moisture overtime may alter the ideal pressures going to the solenoids.
Old 04-15-16, 09:31 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Good to know plus I got a brand new one in a crate. lol

Quick Reply: Life long transmission fluid . . .not so fast.