IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ran into a C63 last night.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 02:08 PM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you run in the street a lot of it has to do with being at the right rpm, shift timing, getting the hit etc. Simply bouncing off the limiter once could cost you a car length. I've raced a bunch of stock c63 and it's always different outcomes. I've actually raced a bunch of cars in the F. It surprises me how well it keeps up to many newer cars higher hp cars. Many people ask if I'm on nitrous 🤔🤔🤔
Old 04-14-16, 02:09 PM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eedo123
the first launch I was in automatic and sport mode and for some reason the computer didn't shift and just kept on revving in that gear, and I left it in auto mode first cause I wanted to avoid just that exactly; I wanted smooth shifts, but it did the opposite. I'm thinking it is because traction control killed the throttle and kept giving it back really fast and I wasn't going fast enough yet to switch to the next gear, or I don't know. But after that I put it into manual and it went much better.
I always race with traction fully off, sport mode and in M. I've done test runs with my friends and the difference is night and day from just out right flooring it in D. Like a few car lengths difference.
Old 04-14-16, 08:09 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comet, I don't disagree at all, and it sounded so much meaner than the IS-F , but honestly, it was just fun to be able to play with one of the heavier contenders out there.
I'm just giving you a hard time. Looks like good runs, I'm actually surprised you were able to stay with him from a roll. Everytime I come up on an ISF they don't seem to want to play.
Old 04-14-16, 09:14 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I'm just giving you a hard time. Looks like good runs, I'm actually surprised you were able to stay with him from a roll. Everytime I come up on an ISF they don't seem to want to play.
Unless it's a C63 with a P31 package or the AMG 507, stock for stock the ISF and regular C63 isn't that far apart.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-m...-comparison-2/

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 04-14-16 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-16-16, 12:53 PM
mmartin061
banned

the first launch I was in automatic and sport mode and for some reason the computer didn't shift and just kept on revving in that gear, and I left it in auto mode first cause I wanted to avoid just that exactly; I wanted smooth shifts, but it did the opposite. I'm thinking it is because traction control killed the throttle and kept giving it back really fast and I wasn't going fast enough yet to switch to the next gear, or I don't know. But after that I put it into manual and it went much better.
You're not the only one who has experienced this. It happens to me as well. My upshifts in "d" mode sometimes take forever to up ahoft when my foot comes off the gas. It will hang for a second.. upshift...upshift up until usually 7th gear. In my short time with the car it all comes down to playing with it and finding the perfect sweet spot on how and when to shift. I have found taking my foot off at "exactly" the same time for a fraction of a second when using the paddle works great for me. And I also have found great success usinf the actual shifter manually which I haven't read much of on this forum
Old 04-16-16, 04:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
You're not the only one who has experienced this. It happens to me as well. My upshifts in "d" mode sometimes take forever to up ahoft when my foot comes off the gas. It will hang for a second.. upshift...upshift up until usually 7th gear. In my short time with the car it all comes down to playing with it and finding the perfect sweet spot on how and when to shift. I have found taking my foot off at "exactly" the same time for a fraction of a second when using the paddle works great for me. And I also have found great success usinf the actual shifter manually which I haven't read much of on this forum
Your fluid level is low. Get it fixed and you won't believe the difference.
Old 04-17-16, 08:27 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice pull, those 6.2L are real monsters!
Old 04-17-16, 11:42 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Unless it's a C63 with a P31 package or the AMG 507, stock for stock the ISF and regular C63 isn't that far apart.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-m...-comparison-2/
That's good to see! I've been strongly considering trading my C63 for IS F. I didn't want to go backwards too much in terms of performance. I have Eurocharged tune so I should be faster than a P31. I wonder what a tuned IS F is capable of.
Old 04-18-16, 03:23 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Ohh this reminds me of my run with a C63 2 days back.

I'll post the videos once I've uploaded them.
Old 04-18-16, 07:07 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder what a tuned IS F is capable of.
Tuned? 500 crank horsepower. 3750ish lbs wet without driver.
Old 04-18-16, 05:57 PM
sjpbug
Driver School Candidate

That's good to see! I've been strongly considering trading my C63 for IS F. I didn't want to go backwards too much in terms of performance. I have Eurocharged tune so I should be faster than a P31. I wonder what a tuned IS F is capable of.
Do it!!

I have a 2011 c63 amg with eisenmann race exhaust + weistec stage 1tune + other stuff.
It's fast on the freeway and sounds nice, but that's about it. My 2008 ISF w/ custom exhaust is my daily driver and it's so much more fun to drive. I can never ever get over the horrible transmission in that C63. Only if the C63 had a better transmission, it would make it half as fun to drive as the ISF. I heard the MCT's are still pretty bad with the 2012+ C63's.
Old 04-18-16, 06:16 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sjpbug
Do it!!

I have a 2011 c63 amg with eisenmann race exhaust + weistec stage 1tune + other stuff.
It's fast on the freeway and sounds nice, but that's about it. My 2008 ISF w/ custom exhaust is my daily driver and it's so much more fun to drive. I can never ever get over the horrible transmission in that C63. Only if the C63 had a better transmission, it would make it half as fun to drive as the ISF. I heard the MCT's are still pretty bad with the 2012+ C63's.
How much power are you making with all those mods?
Old 04-18-16, 09:53 PM
sjpbug
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
How much power are you making with all those mods?
Not sure since I never dynoed it. The weistec stage 1 tune and row air boxes add about 47whp, exhaust about 20 whp. It's probably around 520 hp at the crank.
Old 04-24-16, 12:14 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sjpbug
Do it!!

I agree my C63 is fast on the highway and it pulls so strong up top but the transmission is slow to respond. I can't tell you how many times I've missed a gear by waiting to shift at redline. The Eurocharged tune helps shift times but it's not lightning quick.
Old 04-24-16, 02:42 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what is going on with the transmissions of the C63 AMG repliers but my '13 with the MCT trans has no issues when in sport, sport + or manual mode as far as shift times. I know that the '08 through '11 had a regular torque converter trans and were slower in the upshift and down shift though. Having owned an '09 CPO and a new '12 ISF I can say that as great as they are, my '13 P31 C31 is , without major mods, in another playing field. Will an ISF with all the mods and especially with NO2 equal it? Maybe. But for the most part probably not. No offense intended to all of you ISF owners but having owned both (and still my C63) I speak from my own experience. I hope no one takes offense to my post as I still lurk on this site and still think highly of the ISF.

Quick Reply: Ran into a C63 last night.