IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Real wheels vs Rep wheels.. Opinions...

Old 04-12-16, 09:05 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course the guy named Juan thinks reps are fine *rolls eyes*

And last time I check enkeis aren't reps?
Old 04-12-16, 09:08 AM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lolfunxion

Enkei has been a OEM manufacturer for companies like Honda and Mazda for decades.
Old 04-12-16, 09:11 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lolfunxion

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't saying that the Enkei wheels were replicas. I was saying that they are not overpriced like other Japanese wheels.

and who the F are you? keep buying your volks...
Old 04-12-16, 09:35 AM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Somewhat of a serious question... What make a Work Emotion KAI wheel any more trustworthy than something like VMR? The casting process is nearly identical.

The notion that the majority of cast wheels are going to cause inevitable death is may be a bit overstated.
Old 04-12-16, 09:41 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by juanmedina
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't saying that the Enkei wheels were replicas. I was saying that they are not overpriced like other Japanese wheels.

and who the F are you? keep buying your volks...
Hmm, poorly worded then.

I will keep buying Volks (and Works), I don't buy Rotas or anything else cast from 40% cans found in the garbage and 60% of the native dog population's feces. (That's Rotas exact formula BTW)
Old 04-12-16, 10:30 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This debate can go for days..

"Real" wheels are stronger, certified, more expensive and generally lighter

"Fake" wheels are not as strong, possibly not as certified, cheaper and sometimes a bit heavier

The price delta reflects the R&D put into the wheel.

My opinion is.. if you DD your car and don't track, most if not all "fake" wheels do the job just fine and also improve the look of your car at a considerably cheaper cost.

If you track, for peace of mind and safety I would go for the "real" wheels that have the R&D put into the wheel to handle the added stress put at the track. If you appreciate the company and development done to the wheel, buy "real" wheels.

I've tracked with Volk RE30's, which are arguably one of the stronger wheels in the Rays/Volk line and have still have been able to bend the wheel at the track. On the other hand, I don't think Forgestars or Rotas would of handled the same stress and probably would of sheered off the barrel like the s2k guy in the video on this thread.
Old 04-12-16, 11:20 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Rota is an OEM wheel supplier as well. Like mentioned this is an endless argument. I tracked my Integra on Rotards for nearly 4 years. I drove my Fikse FM10's on the road and cracked two barrels.

Therefore the data I provided proves nothing :P
Old 04-12-16, 11:44 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

And with either the genuine or fake rim, it's always a good idea to periodically inspect 'em (after a thorough cleaning).

Last edited by tas02; 04-12-16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 11:56 AM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also for what its worth I don't mind seeing fake wheels on civic's, kia's etc. But on a ISF, S2000, 350Z aka Japanese sports cars it makes me Cringe...................
Old 04-12-16, 12:56 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCFC89
Also for what its worth I don't mind seeing fake wheels on civic's, kia's etc. But on a ISF, S2000, 350Z aka Japanese sports cars it makes me Cringe...................
I totally agree...if you can afford an ISF then put forth the money and buy genuine parts and don't cut corners. If you end up buying replica and something happens then you probably spend more re-buying other replicas than if you just bought OEM products to begin with.
Old 04-12-16, 02:50 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ALtin107
I totally agree...if you can afford an ISF then put forth the money and buy genuine parts and don't cut corners. If you end up buying replica and something happens then you probably spend more re-buying other replicas than if you just bought OEM products to begin with.
Forgestar and Vossen are technically replicas but then its flow form based.. same as :gasp: the same as HRE flow form, ADV.1 flow form..

But Forgestar flow form wheels breaks at the track.. Volk wheels bend at the track. I've even seen Enkei RPF1 and BBS LM wheels crack/bend before..

So what defines genuine? The original design manufactuer? Or are you just bandwagoning because Volk/SSR/Advan/Work/Enkei/BBS has been around longer and has ties to OEM?

Its not like in the early 2000's where Rota and Kyowa and other brand of companies not only copied but didn't do enough R&D to make it strong and are prone to bending while driving over harsh roads.. now a days technology has made these "new" age of Wheel manufacturers to develop strong & cheap wheels.

Are ISF owners only limited to Volk/Advan/BBS wheels since they are expensive? But you see Ferraris and exotic cars run Vossen/ADV.1/HRE flow form line which are technically what new age replicas are made of.
Old 04-12-16, 03:29 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

These wheels are "Real", only in Canada though...LoL

Old 04-12-16, 04:38 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

To OP, its your money...$3k-5k its alot of mula...do what makes you happy..who cares if its replica, i had replicas before with no issue on IS 250, guys that are going to judge you are just haterss...before you buy reps, check the classified section they're some good quality rims there that are good brand, with decent pricing...btw most of the guys here who drive 400+ hp are no go, all looks...so if that's ur goal is looks, then rock on whatever makes you happy...but I wouldn't recommend reps at the track though...i used my OEM for the track, I use volks for street..
Old 04-12-16, 04:52 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Would you rock the top ones or bottom ? Lol....To op your money we don't pay your bills to each his own your car your business. Now If you set up a go fund me page for forgestar at track blow up different story lol
Attached Thumbnails Real wheels vs Rep wheels.. Opinions...-img_5418.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-16, 05:13 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem with most aftermarket rims is that they don't always give their construction materials or process. Cast wheels will always be heavier than forged.

Determining price is the tricky part because you've got to be savvy enough to figure out you're paying $2000 for cast rims but in reality you're paying for the name.

Do your homework and you'll eventually find the right wheel for your budget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real wheels vs Rep wheels.. Opinions...