IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Isf ...Should I get this done ? ( induction system cleaning)and fuel system cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 09:06 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Isf ...Should I get this done ? ( induction system cleaning)and fuel system cleaning

Just want some guys to chime in . I don't know if I should get this done but I feel like I should since my car has like 85,000 miles on it

Old 04-07-16, 10:32 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott610
Just want some guys to chime in . I don't know if I should get this done but I feel like I should since my car has like 85,000 miles on it
How much does it cost? I say if it ain't broken, don't waste money?
Old 04-07-16, 10:44 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly, I haven't read it because I'm not there yet. Without being rude, just stick to what's called out in the manual. It will not only provide longetivity to your vehicle, it will also not void your warranty.
Old 04-07-16, 10:53 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
How much does it cost? I say if it ain't broken, don't waste money?
It will cost me like 40 a can but my price since I work here at the dealer and 50 to pay the tech . The one of the tech said it works because he did it before and after . Which he looked at the piston and valves before doing it and clean all the carb build up. I'm just trying to get it clean before it builds up a lot
Old 04-07-16, 10:56 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Honestly, I haven't read it because I'm not there yet. Without being rude, just stick to what's called out in the manual. It will not only provide longetivity to your vehicle, it will also not void your warranty.
That's what I'm thinking about is long term I don't think it will hurt at all to my knowledge but if I'm wrong I would want someone to tell me
Old 04-07-16, 10:56 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott610
It will cost me like 40 a can but my price since I work here at the dealer and 50 to pay the tech . The one of the tech said it works because he did it before and after . Which he looked at the piston and valves before doing it and clean all the carb build up. I'm just trying to get it clean before it builds up a lot
Hmmm...I thought our cars are direct injection and port injection? A nice feature to combat against carbon build up?
Old 04-07-16, 10:58 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Hmmm...I thought our cars are direct injection and port injection? A nice feature to combat against carbon build up?
Yep only recommend for cars with direct injection
Old 04-07-16, 07:57 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to use the Techron complete fuel system cleaner for my all cars in every 15k miles. it works only OK compared to BG 44k fuel system cleaner that i have just switch to. BG 44K works wayyyyyyyy better
Old 04-07-16, 09:02 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

bought the bg 44k through my mechanic friend at the dealer. for 8 bucks, cant complain. didnt feel a diff though.
Old 04-07-16, 09:26 PM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a member who posted before and after pictures of his engine using this stuff. There was a difference but it was so minuscule that it did not seem worth it. Not to mention the before was not even bad at all.
Old 04-08-16, 07:00 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Thanks everyone for helping . I think Ima just see if it's dirty first then do it if I need it
Old 04-08-16, 07:00 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not something you can do in your own driveway.

There is no way to determine if the combustion chamber is dirty or not........and top treat or pour in the tank additives will only target the injectors and have superficial results elsewhere.

Induction cleaning is cleaning the combustion chamber, not just the injectors.

"If it aint broke" is a bad analogy, compared to doing this as a routine maintenance service.

Provided it is a petrolium distilate based cleaner that can withstand combustion chamber temperatures of 800 degrees or higher, the investment is worth the price.

Intake valves get carbon build up. While direct port injection will run reliativly clean, there is nothing wrong with using products like this. It is extremely important that these cleaners are atomized properly using the correct tools and introduced into the combustion chamber properly and controlled.

I clean mine about once a year with a similar products and have no issues.

Kerosene and naptha based alcohol products like Seafoam, are poor and burn off before any proper cleaning can be done, and is the reason why they smoke a lot during use.........so stick to petrolium distillate based products that can heat soak the carbon and withstand higher temperatures.

In turn this will spark lots of debate, but many of todays Gas Direct Injection vehicles are having horrific maintenance issues with their motors and massive carbon build up. Most have migrated to products like this diectly in the dealer networks, as it is the only way to maintain these modern engines.

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 04-08-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-08-16, 07:59 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Get a can of SeaFoam and call it a day.
Old 04-08-16, 09:31 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by digger08
This is not something you can do in your own driveway.

There is no way to determine if the combustion chamber is dirty or not........and top treat or pour in the tank additives will only target the injectors and have superficial results elsewhere.

Induction cleaning is cleaning the combustion chamber, not just the injectors.

"If it aint broke" is a bad analogy, compared to doing this as a routine maintenance service.

Provided it is a petrolium distilate based cleaner that can withstand combustion chamber temperatures of 800 degrees or higher, the investment is worth the price.

Intake valves get carbon build up. While direct port injection will run reliativly clean, there is nothing wrong with using products like this. It is extremely important that these cleaners are atomized properly using the correct tools and introduced into the combustion chamber properly and controlled.

I clean mine about once a year with a similar products and have no issues.

Kerosene and naptha based alcohol products like Seafoam, are poor and burn off before any proper cleaning can be done, and is the reason why they smoke a lot during use.........so stick to petrolium distillate based products that can heat soak the carbon and withstand higher temperatures.

In turn this will spark lots of debate, but many of todays Gas Direct Injection vehicles are having horrific maintenance issues with their motors and massive carbon build up. Most have migrated to products like this diectly in the dealer networks, as it is the only way to maintain these modern engines.

Digger08
Definitely not doing it in the driveway lol I have my coworker work on it since I work here at a car dealership but thanks for the advice