IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 04:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Default PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers

PPE Engineering has been getting lot's of inquires from us ISF owners about the feasibility of making an Equal Length Header for the ISF similar to the one they make for the RCF. Since I am a past customer, live nearby, have another vehicle and am a pretty nice guy they called and asked if I might be interested in having my car test fit for Equal Length Headers. Are you Crazy - Sure I would

While discussing this with them, I suggested that if modified RCF Headers wouldn't fit, maybe they could accomplish the equal length task by using long tubes. Well, it seems that RCF headers will in fact fit in an ISF, and the headers they built for me were also Long Tube. How sweet is that?

But, the EL, LT headers must be used with the PPE Exhaust due to the exit point of the collector.

Now the disappointing part. I went for Dyno testing yesterday, and it appears I lost 7HP at the top end and gained only 1.5 lb ft of torque at the high end. I also gained grunt at the bottom. My Seat of the Pants tells me the car is faster

I don't know why it ran out of breath at the high end. Nothing else has changed.

PPE Headers

PPE Dual Mode Exhaust - With HiFlow Cats

Takeda Intake

As far as sound goes, in the cabin with the exhaust open, the drone remains in the same area (between 1900 and 2100 RPM) but is much lower in volume. I can now carry on a phone conversion (with bluetooth hands free) with the exhaust in the open position. The volume level does increase, however, when under acceleration through that RPM range.

Now the ISF does not have a lumpy engine by any means, but it idle with the old headers, the sound (both inside and outside the car) had a sort of lumpy growling quality to it. The sound is now very smooth, again inside and outside. The harmonics seemed to have changed.

Now, will I go back to my old system - NOT ON YOUR LIFE

Lou

Edit - I forgot about the Cats

Second Edit - My wheels and tires have changed. I'm now running RCF wheels with larger 295 vs 285 rears, so wheel weight is up a bit!
Attached Thumbnails PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers-bares-headers.jpg   PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers-tube-mids.jpg   PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers-outlet-to-pipes.jpg   PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers-equal-length-long-tube-dynos.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 04-07-16 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-06-16, 04:31 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome review Lou. Those headers do look fantastic as everyday I lean on to get ppe headers....
Old 04-06-16, 04:33 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that's an awesome hook up. surprised you didn't gain anything. why do you think?
Old 04-06-16, 04:42 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

any sound clips/vids?

does the sound start to sound more like the novel equal length headers?
Old 04-06-16, 04:42 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting results Lou,

Yeah I noticed the lumpy idle after putting in my UEL PPE headers, (the only part I'm not a big fan of).

It's great that the EL headers smoothens that out, too bad about the loss of top end.. wonder if the tuners can take care of that?
Old 04-06-16, 06:06 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Hmmm, maybe the gains need to be acquired via a tune like mentioned.

Curious to hear the tone change though.
Old 04-06-16, 06:40 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
PPE Engineering has been getting lot's of inquires from us ISF owners about the feasibility of making an Equal Length Header for the ISF similar to the one they make for the RCF. Since I am a past customer, live nearby, have another vehicle and am a pretty nice guy they called and asked if I might be interested in having my car test fit for Equal Length Headers. Are you Crazy - Sure I would

While discussing this with them, I suggested that if modified RCF Headers wouldn't fit, maybe they could accomplish the equal length task by using long tubes. Well, it seems that RCF headers will in fact fit in an ISF, and the headers they built for me were also Long Tube. How sweet is that?

But, the EL, LT headers must be used with the PPE Exhaust due to the exit point of the collector.

Now the disappointing part. I went for Dyno testing yesterday, and it appears I lost 7HP at the top end and gained only 1.5 lb ft of torque at the high end. I also gained grunt at the bottom. My Seat of the Pants tells me the car is faster

I don't know why it ran out of breath at the high end. Nothing else has changed.

PPE Headers

PPE Dual Mode Exhaust

Takeda Intake

As far as sound goes, in the cabin with the exhaust open, the drone remains in the same area (between 1900 and 2100 RPM) but is much lower in volume. I can now carry on a phone conversion (with bluetooth hands free) with the exhaust in the open position. The volume level does increase, however, when under acceleration through that RPM range.

Now the ISF does not have a lumpy engine by any means, but it idle with the old headers, the sound (both inside and outside the car) had a sort of lumpy growling quality to it. The sound is now very smooth, again inside and outside. The harmonics seemed to have changed.

Now, will I go back to my old system - NOT ON YOUR LIFE

Lou
You may or may not have lost power. Your dyno comparison shows a run from April 2016 vs your old run back in 2013. Lots of things could have changed. Either way as long as you're happy that's all that matters. Any sound clips of before and after?
Old 04-06-16, 06:44 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
You may or may not have lost power. Your dyno comparison shows a run from April 2016 vs your old run back in 2013. Lots of things could have changed. Either way as long as you're happy that's all that matters.
True, 3 years is a long time. Maybe the engine is just getting worn and that explains the 7hp loss?
Old 04-06-16, 07:49 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really want to hear EL in person with a loud exhaust. Sound is such a huge factor for me in any car and I'd take a slightly better sounding car over 10whp any day of the week.
Old 04-06-16, 08:08 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Lou,

Get the tune now, and there should be some more gains to be had
Old 04-06-16, 08:27 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

awesome, they do fit. am i the only one that likes the muscle lumpy idle sound?
Old 04-06-16, 08:37 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
awesome, they do fit. am i the only one that likes the muscle lumpy idle sound?
It's not a bad sound, it just sounds more like a American V8 with a mild cam at idle. Sometimes it's good to have, like when I'm next to a Mustang or Camaro, I switch my exhaust to race mode and you can see them snap their necks real quick.

Then sometimes you just miss that butter smooth refined Lexus V8.
Old 04-06-16, 08:38 PM
myspec15
Driver

very nice any sound clips
Old 04-06-16, 08:46 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Really want to hear EL in person with a loud exhaust. Sound is such a huge factor for me in any car and I'd take a slightly better sounding car over 10whp any day of the week.
I wonder if it sounds like the RCF with EL headers, cause this is one badass sounding 2UR-GSE! So smooth...

Old 04-07-16, 12:02 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

In for sound clips

Quick Reply: PPE Equal Length, Long Tube Headers