Steering is "squirmy" under heavy braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 01:22 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Steering is "squirmy" under heavy braking

Hello All,

I've owned my IS F for a little over two weeks now, and I have noticed under several occasions under heavy breaking (close to 70-80% breaking capacity) that I have to fight the steering wheel to keep the car tracking straight. This is anywhere from speeds of 80-90 mph coming down to 40-50 mph. Could this be an issue related to the front control arm bushings? My F only has ~41,xxx miles and tires are brand new (OEM Spec) Continental ExtremeContact DWS. No other alignment issues known as the car doesn't track left or right either.

All insights are appreciated, and I am extremely happy to be apart of this community!

Regards,
Sameer

Last edited by Sameer89; 04-04-16 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Updated post.
Old 04-04-16, 01:58 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I had an issue when I switched to continental DWs (the summer only tire). With me, the car seemed to float (as if getting hit with cross wind). I had to make constant adjustments - this happened under acceleration and deceleration (not while cruising). After upgrading the LCA bushings and getting 3 alignments in a span of 1 month, it turned out to be a bad tire. One of my rear tires had something called radial pull - tire was replaced and the problem is 100% gone.

With that said - I would start by paying close attention to see if the issue is really only under braking. If it is, I would start with an alignment.
Old 04-04-16, 02:09 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sameer89
Hello All,

I've owned my IS F for a little over two weeks now, and I have noticed under several occasions under heavy breaking (close to 70-80% breaking capacity) that I have to fight the steering wheel to keep the car tracking straight. This is anywhere from speeds of 80-90 mph coming down to 40-50 mph. Could this be an issue related to the front control arm bushings? My F only has ~41,xxx miles and tires are brand new (OEM Spec) Continental ExtremeContact DWS. No other alignment issues known as the car doesn't track left or right either.

All insights are appreciated, and I am extremely happy to be apart of this community!

Regards,
Sameer
This is a direct result of the bushings. I track my car and know exactly what you are talking about. Braking the car from high speeds and having to wonder if the rear end would come around is an awful feeling. The moment I replaced my bushings, the issue was completely resolved.
Old 04-04-16, 02:19 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Bushings without a doubt.

Look into the RR-Racing USRS.

Had exactly the same unnerving experience until I had the USRS installed.

Not a problem anymore!
Old 04-04-16, 02:23 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

These will solve all your squirmy braking issue for good! Figs zero deflection FLCA bearings.
Old 04-04-16, 07:06 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue and got the RR-Racing Ultimate Steering Response System and it solved the issue.
Old 04-04-16, 07:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rr-racing.html

Hands down the best mod you can do for your F for the Braking and Steering feel bar none!
Old 04-04-16, 08:40 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Thank you everyone for your help!! Much appreciated
Old 04-05-16, 02:24 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup as others have said LCA bushing will sort this out, I had the same issue and now zero deflection under heavy braking
Old 04-05-16, 09:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Everyone has their own preference for which vendor's product, but all of them will solve the problem you have. It is without any doubt the front lower control arm bushing causing this. Replacing it with something harder will make the wandering feeling go away.
Old 04-05-16, 01:37 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^ as said above. LCA bushings.

You have two options. RRracing or Figs.

I have RRracing and love them.

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
Old 04-05-16, 04:14 PM
BuLLdAwG
Rookie

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
^^^^^^^ as said above. LCA bushings.

You have two options. RRracing or Figs.

I have RRracing and love them.

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm

I'll add a 3rd option, which I have and love, RCF oem bushings. The improvement in braking and steering was immediately noticeable. I don't track my car so I figured these were more than sufficient. From time to time I do think about pressing in FIGS into the extra brackets just to compare.

Last edited by BuLLdAwG; 04-05-16 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 04:31 PM
itsmejon
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought i put my breaks on wrong and one side was grabbing harder then the other. Glad im not that only one who had this issue, and even more glad that there is a pretty simple solution.
Old 04-05-16, 06:10 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BuLLdAwG
I'll add a 3rd option, which I have and love, RCF oem bushings. The improvement in braking and steering was immediately noticeable. I don't track my car so I figured these were more than sufficient. From time to time I do think about pressing in FIGS into the extra brackets just to compare.
Oh wow, I didn't think about this! Has anyone else tried this option? I am assuming there is a revised part number for the bushing on the RCF.. Wonder if Lexus has superseded the ISF part for the RCF now?
Old 04-05-16, 06:28 PM
BuLLdAwG
Rookie

Someone else on the boards did try. I would credit them for me trying, but I don't remember who it was!

I ordered off mylparts.com under rcf. They are approx. $50 each after discount. I have no doubt the steering would be even stiffer with the FIGS or RR product. Maybe one day when this feels normal!

Edit: Jeff Lange was the person who I originally found that used RCF bushings.
Http://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...duro-hp-9.html

Last edited by BuLLdAwG; 04-06-16 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering is "squirmy" under heavy braking