IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

KCLV post tune data logging

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 12:24 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Drok149 is dead on. I actually had have my KCLV in the low 13 before using an octane booster (VP OCTANIUM for me) that set it up in the mid 22. Quality higher octane gasoline is the key here. I pumped Valero 91 octane last week and will never use that brand gas again (That's how I got my KCLV in the low 13). Go chevron, shell, or 76.
You mean once we KCLV to 21 or above by using octane boosters....these values wont go back when we refill with 95 pump gas?
Old 05-15-16, 02:08 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Is resetting the ecu something that has to be done continually to get the best results from the tune? If so that's a real pain in the neck
Old 05-15-16, 07:02 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
You mean once we KCLV to 21 or above by using octane boosters....these values wont go back when we refill with 95 pump gas?
I find that our cars are VERY picky on the quality of gas. The KCLV can either go up or down. It depends on the weather and location. It's been pretty hot here in CA and I live very close to sea level altitudes. I only pump chevron premium 91. At that time, my KCLV was around 19-21. Then I decided to try Valero premium 91 which was a huge mistake on my end. My KCLV dropped dramatically and it still kept dropping. I stop by a nearby auto parts store and purchase VP OCTANIUM octane booster. Finally, after a reset and about 120 miles of driving, my KCLV went back to 19. I quickly refuel when my gas was damn near empty with my gas range showing 0. I refill using the normal Chevron premium 91. That is how I got KCLV in the 22s. It's still in the 22s as of today. I'm am never using any cheap brand gas stations anymore. I don't care if it's advertise as "top tier." Only chevron, shell or 76 premium is going in.....maybe some sunoco 100 race gas @ $9 a gallon from time to time
Old 05-15-16, 10:01 AM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Is resetting the ecu something that has to be done continually to get the best results from the tune? If so that's a real pain in the neck
Resetting the ecu is the easy part it's doing the high load pulls to bring that value up into the 20's that sucks. If u wait till your on empty and put half a bottle of torco in and then put in a half tank of gas then reset the ecu and hop on the highway for 20-30 miles and do your pulls you should be good to go.
Old 05-15-16, 11:18 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that our cars are VERY picky on the quality of gas. The KCLV can either go up or down. It depends on the weather and location. It's been pretty hot here in CA and I live very close to sea level altitudes. I only pump chevron premium 91. At that time, my KCLV was around 19-21. Then I decided to try Valero premium 91 which was a huge mistake on my end. My KCLV dropped dramatically and it still kept dropping. I stop by a nearby auto parts store and purchase VP OCTANIUM octane booster. Finally, after a reset and about 120 miles of driving, my KCLV went back to 19. I quickly refuel when my gas was damn near empty with my gas range showing 0. I refill using the normal Chevron premium 91. That is how I got KCLV in the 22s. It's still in the 22s as of today. I'm am never using any cheap brand gas stations anymore. I don't care if it's advertise as "top tier." Only chevron, shell or 76 premium is going in.....maybe some sunoco 100 race gas @ $9 a gallon from time to time

Thanks,i'll keep that in mind,once my tuned ecu is installed...always get the more expensive gas
Old 05-15-16, 12:06 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

There are additional considerations.

Gasoline is refined at only a few places. Just because you buy it at a Shell or Chevron station doesn't mean it was necessarily refined at a Shell or Chevron refinery. Sure, certain brands add additional compounds like "Techron" at the point of sale which differentiates their product, however, they're not octane boosters.

Where I live, we have a lot of moisture which could potentially contaminate fuel. My strategy is to buy from stations that sell a lot of gas, so that it's more likely I'll get fuel that's both fresher and hasn't been sitting in the bottom of their tanks (where water & other contaminants accumulate). I patronize an Arco station which has the lowest prices and sells the most gasoline in our area.
Old 05-15-16, 12:12 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

...maybe some sunoco 100 race gas @ $9 a gallon from time to time
I'm with ya man! :-)
Attached Thumbnails KCLV post tune data logging-image.jpeg  
Old 05-15-16, 04:04 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

So I recently got my techstream up and running to check my numbers and mine are very low and don't seem to be climbing doing high load pulls. If anything them seem to be going down more than up. Under normal driving my under 3k value climbs but under high load my numbers seem to get worse. Any recommendations on off the shelf octane booster from vatozone or equivalent? Any other ideas on what I should be trying? I've reset my ECU and only fuel up at Shell. I'm at a loss why my numbers are garbage. I'm getting close to my 60k maint could plugs cause this?
Old 05-15-16, 04:22 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
So I recently got my techstream up and running to check my numbers and mine are very low and don't seem to be climbing doing high load pulls. If anything them seem to be going down more than up. Under normal driving my under 3k value climbs but under high load my numbers seem to get worse. Any recommendations on off the shelf octane booster from vatozone or equivalent? Any other ideas on what I should be trying? I've reset my ECU and only fuel up at Shell. I'm at a loss why my numbers are garbage. I'm getting close to my 60k maint could plugs cause this?
Try some fuel system cleaner and stabilizer. Then add in a bottle of octane booster of your choice. I would recommend something like Torco, VP OCTANIUM, royal purple. It could also be your plugs as well.
Old 05-15-16, 07:13 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drok149
Resetting the ecu is the easy part it's doing the high load pulls to bring that value up into the 20's that sucks. If u wait till your on empty and put half a bottle of torco in and then put in a half tank of gas then reset the ecu and hop on the highway for 20-30 miles and do your pulls you should be good to go.
How often will this have to be done if I purchase the tune?
Old 05-15-16, 07:15 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
How often will this have to be done if I purchase the tune?
Everytime you reset your ecu. You could have a low KCLV right now, have you checked it with tech stream?
Old 05-16-16, 03:33 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Drok149
Everytime you reset your ecu. You could have a low KCLV right now, have you checked it with tech stream?
So in theory, if your engine is healthy and not experiencing knock, the octane booster will get you to where you need to be so that the car will be maximizing on the tune. But if for whatever reason the engine knocks, the car will retard timing and etc., which in that case you'll need to find the cause and start the learn process all over, or else your car will never be able to perform at the max. Am I understanding that correctly?
Old 05-16-16, 05:45 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you guys not have anywhere to get higher octane gas? Octane in a bottle is pretty much useless. Just do the math...
Old 05-16-16, 06:36 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^Not necessarily, check out this link on the Royal Purple Octane Boost. I love their products and they always seem to put out a quality product with their name on it.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...e-Booster.aspx

I think it's only like $11 or something close to that last time I checked....
Old 05-16-16, 07:58 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

I'm just saying I don't want to buy this tune and then have to reset my ecu constantly and do highway pulls at every reset just to get the best out of the tune. That would be extremely annoying

Quick Reply: KCLV post tune data logging