IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Smoothing out the ride quality of the ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 08:10 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunex
You could. Don't know why you'd want to. It'd be even worse.
oh ok that is exactly what i thought the answer would be, i am just like everyone trying to make the ride quality better I did not know the 14 model year suspension is worst in the back but i don't usually have people in the back of the car so i might still go this route
Old 04-06-16, 08:25 AM
trebISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weird telling someone that wants a smoother ride out of the ISF that he bought the wrong car.

It's pretty obvious that the early ISF's were not exactly the best when compared to the competition and even worse for track duty in OEM form. If you go to any track that has slightly bumpy track areas you're going to hit your head often.

OP, if you're looking for a better ride without altering ride height and spending a bunch of money, just get a newer ISF suspension. ISF's evolved a lot in the suspension realm due to being too stiff and a lot of customer complained about it. The newer suspensions not only improve your DD ride but also on the track (if you ever track your car even for fun). A little bit of research even on Wikipedia will show what they changed throughout every generation.
Old 04-06-16, 08:35 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

my first set of BC coils with 14/10k swift springs set on the softer side = smooth luxury ride. it went from too harsh to too smooth. it was so smooth and quiet, i forgot i was in a 400hp sports sedan. i remember friends complimenting me that lexus sure knows how to make smooth riding cars since my car was low but rode so smooth(little did they know how it felt stock).
Old 04-06-16, 08:37 AM
trebISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless people are trying to "stance" their ISF the last thing it needs is lower springs. I've found the ISF's ride height to be pretty dead on.
Old 04-06-16, 11:11 AM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought stock suspension provides a smoother ride compared to aftermarket.
Old 04-06-16, 11:17 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

IF U WANT TO FEEL AND TELL THE DIFFERENT IS TO DRIVE YOUR STOCK ISF SUSPENSION AND THEN DRIVE YOUR FRIEND AFTER MARKET SUSPENSION THE MORE DIFFERENT SET UP YOU DRIVE THE MORE U CAN TELL
Old 04-06-16, 11:29 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

If u want ride quality, trade your car for an ls460
Old 04-06-16, 11:41 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother has a '12 and it's about 10 times smoother than my '08
Old 04-06-16, 11:52 AM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the problem I am having with making a decision. For every one person that says one thing, another person says exactly the opposite. I think what I am going to end up doing is try out the newer ISF suspension, and if I do not like it I will just sell the shocks/springs and then try the KW V3's.

Also, I do not understand the BC coilover pricing on the FIGS site. Is it really $1k for the whole set? Thats only $250 a coilover?

Last edited by ISF08; 04-06-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-06-16, 02:59 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF08
This is the problem I am having with making a decision. For every one person that says one thing, another person says exactly the opposite. I think what I am going to end up doing is try out the newer ISF suspension, and if I do not like it I will just sell the shocks/springs and then try the KW V3's.

Also, I do not understand the BC coilover pricing on the FIGS site. Is it really $1k for the whole set? Thats only $250 a coilover?
That's correct and $1300 if you want to add Swift Springs. There's a difference between Taiwan Manufacturers vs German vs USA.
Old 04-06-16, 03:17 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

The reason the BC coilovers are priced where there are is due to volume leveraging. Its still a high quality cartridge and lasts very well in severe environments. We have had them apart to rebuild on our pro drift car and the internals only lack in the number of shims they use and the internal shock fluid, the rest is quite exceptional. Couplers and hats have some of the best workmanship we have seen regardless of price. The V3 used to be a $2K ish solution and uses higher dollar stainless steel bodies, making it obviously upgrade in some areas but a limited in others. The V3 is a great shock if you fall into its use parameters, but now they are priced in the 2800 range without much change in spec and no upper hats.

If you start out with the BC's and our "essential kit" suspension geometry changes you will have more flexibility and much better handling than a later model vehicle. Suspension comfort is subjective and that is why an adjustable damper plays such an important role in overall comfort and performance at the same time. Bottom line is that the BC is still a montube shock, similar to 2012+, has adjustable damping and ride height and is a bargain for the quality. High quality parts have been made in Taiwan for decades along with plenty of sub par products. You cannot grade the quality of a company on where it is based necessarily but on the quality standards it uses, the end product performance and the longevity of its real world use. BC has proven itself with customization ability stateside, quality where it counts and being able to serve many different customer preferences with a common based product that can also upgrade to premium springs. There are not many other offerings that even come close when compared.

If you have any other questions please let us know. Another option to consider is our Ohlins RT setup which is also quite comfortable in addition to be high performing. There are many different paths to take and you can spend a great deal of time and money in labor.
Thanks Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-06-16, 07:18 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an '08 and have had the car stock, with Tein springs, BC coilovers and finally KW, so I can compare the entire range.

Here is my experience on a scale of 1-10 (1=rough, 10=smooth, great handling)...
  • Stock '08 - pretty rough. Rating = 3
  • Tein Springs w/ OEM shocks - didn't improve, I'd say ride got more bouncy, not smoother. Rating = 2
  • BC Coilovers with Swift Springs - much better ride, but response to changing road conditions and tight corners was not that of a performance shock. Rating is 6 on ride quality alone.
  • KW Coilovers - night and day over the others. First onramp I took after install was amazing and I was laughing out loud from how the car responded to a few bumps mid corner under full compression. Very smooth and progressive compression and rebound, very noticeable over BC's. Rating on ride quality is 8.

Car on KW's handles well. If you expect it to drive like a GS or ES Lexus, you will be disappointed no matter what you do. But it has made a TREMENDOUS difference in how the car drives, even on my 20" wheels.
Old 04-06-16, 07:53 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyboost
I have an '08 and have had the car stock, with Tein springs, BC coilovers and finally KW, so I can compare the entire range.

Here is my experience on a scale of 1-10 (1=rough, 10=smooth, great handling)...
  • Stock '08 - pretty rough. Rating = 3
  • Tein Springs w/ OEM shocks - didn't improve, I'd say ride got more bouncy, not smoother. Rating = 2
  • BC Coilovers with Swift Springs - much better ride, but response to changing road conditions and tight corners was not that of a performance shock. Rating is 6 on ride quality alone.
  • KW Coilovers - night and day over the others. First onramp I took after install was amazing and I was laughing out loud from how the car responded to a few bumps mid corner under full compression. Very smooth and progressive compression and rebound, very noticeable over BC's. Rating on ride quality is 8.

Car on KW's handles well. If you expect it to drive like a GS or ES Lexus, you will be disappointed no matter what you do. But it has made a TREMENDOUS difference in how the car drives, even on my 20" wheels.
How do you find the rough bumps / roads? Do the KW sound like they bottom out easily compared to stock?
Old 04-06-16, 08:01 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Figs, the inconsistent shim stacks and variable shock dyno results have been known for some time on many of these cheaper coilovers.

So I assume you guys aren't taking each set of BC's apart right? Still hit or miss whether you will get a "good" set?

I had them on a prior vehicle for maybe a month before ripping them off. Yet others have great reviews.
Old 04-06-16, 08:03 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by clarionguy
How do you find the rough bumps / roads? Do the KW sound like they bottom out easily compared to stock?
When on stock wheels, firm but smooth over bumps and railroad tracks, not harsh at all and not bouncy. When on 20" wheels with 245/30/20 and 295/25/20 tires, it gets a little harsh but definitely more a result of no sidewall than suspension.

With BC's, when I would hit rough road conditions, I felt it through the entire car.
With KW's, when I hit same rough road conditions, it has a much more direct and fast response. You feel it, but the whole car doesn't feel like a jarring impact.

Best way I can describe it. Not sure if that makes sense...

Quick Reply: Smoothing out the ride quality of the ISF