IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Smoothing out the ride quality of the ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 04:29 PM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tronim
hey buddy, I just clicked on your link and not only see that these are OOS, but at 690.00?
how can we get in on that 5xx deal? ;-)
http://autoplicity.com/8833462-tein-...Fc5ZhgodDJYCKA

I just searched a bit, that's the best I found online....you might find better if you look longer. They were about a grand when they came out, Tein dropped the prices on a few lines to better compete with the Chinese made stuff.

Last edited by pharnhyte; 04-04-16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 05:48 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
http://autoplicity.com/8833462-tein-...Fc5ZhgodDJYCKA

I just searched a bit, that's the best I found online....you might find better if you look longer. They were about a grand when they came out, Tein dropped the prices on a few lines to better compete with the Chinese made stuff.
there's a reason why the price dropped.
Old 04-04-16, 06:39 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm really not trying to be rude here, but if you're looking for a car that has a smooth ride, the ISF is probably not the car you should have purchased. The ISF is a sports sedan made for performance... And performance does not *usually* equate to a smooth ride, especially when comparing it to a Cadillac SUV. This is kind of like buying a Hell Cat and then trying to find ways to pull power out of it because you're not use to it.

The suspension suggestions on here are good and there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum, but there are no suspension upgrade options out there that are going to give you the ride quality (or anything close) to that of an Escalade.
Old 04-04-16, 06:59 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Avoid BC coilovers at all costs if you have rough roads, I was trying to accomplish the same thing as you and a heard several people say how nice BCs were so I got them. I think they are actually worse than the OEM 09, if I did it again I would get Ohlins, penskies or KWs

Last edited by Sylvan; 04-04-16 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 07:11 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL, I don't think I've ever heard of lowering a car to obtain better ride quality...
Old 04-04-16, 07:17 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This one of the reason why I didn't get 2008 ISF, but 2011 was too pricy for me.
Old 04-04-16, 08:07 PM
Caliman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is a 2012 new enough it has the softer ride already?
Old 04-04-16, 08:20 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliman
2011-2014 IS-F have smoother ride.
Old 04-04-16, 09:21 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliman
2011 was when the good ride started, but 2012+ was when they switched to SACHS-ZF shocks.
Old 04-04-16, 10:50 PM
916gs400
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Avoid BC coilovers at all costs if you have rough roads, I was trying to accomplish the same thing as you and a heard several people say how nice BCs were so I got them. I think they are actually worse than the OEM 09, if I did it again I would get Ohlins, penskies or KWs
Did you order the custom valve and springs bc coilovers from figs or rrr. Or did you just order off the shelf bc coilovers?
Old 04-04-16, 11:09 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
2011 was when the good ride started, but 2012+ was when they switched to SACHS-ZF shocks.
I have 2012, the stock suspension is still too harsh, it gets annoying after about 15 minutes with the ****ty road in Calgary (Alberta, Canada). Upgraded to BC Coilover with Swift.. ride quality improved.. but BC coilover feels cheap over bumps.
Old 04-04-16, 11:35 PM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I have 2012, the stock suspension is still too harsh, it gets annoying after about 15 minutes with the ****ty road in Calgary (Alberta, Canada). Upgraded to BC Coilover with Swift.. ride quality improved.. but BC coilover feels cheap over bumps.
This really puts another damper (no pun intended) on my decision. I was optimistic the newer ISF shocks would be acceptable but I guess not. I understand the ISF was not meant to be a smooth ride, but that doesn't mean you cant mod it to lean more towards comfort, after all this is a forum full of car enthusiasts who mod their cars to their liking. As far as lowering, my main goal is not to lower it, I was just saying that *possibly* I would be interested in closing the fender gaps a bit if I'm going to be changing out shocks/springs. There is a custom shop in my area that recommended installing a completely custom air suspension setup with computer controlled electronic dampening (much like the system that comes factory installed in the Escalade), however it is pricey (around $8k). The other issue with air suspension is the shocks do not seem to last long. I have had to replace the shocks a few times on the Escalade. Seems like the only other options besides that are either KW V3's, or the BC coilers that figs recommended with 14k/10k springs. If anyone is in the Nor Cal easy bay area and has either of these setups let me know as I would love to go for a ride.
Old 04-05-16, 05:09 AM
MrFunex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing I found issue with that helped was lowering the tyre pressures a bit. The book values are so high, it feels like you've fitted cartwheels to the thing. I think if you intend to approach the vehicle's top speed, the quoted values are almost 50psi. Ridiculous!
Old 04-05-16, 07:42 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF08
This really puts another damper (no pun intended) on my decision. I was optimistic the newer ISF shocks would be acceptable but I guess not. I understand the ISF was not meant to be a smooth ride, but that doesn't mean you cant mod it to lean more towards comfort, after all this is a forum full of car enthusiasts who mod their cars to their liking. As far as lowering, my main goal is not to lower it, I was just saying that *possibly* I would be interested in closing the fender gaps a bit if I'm going to be changing out shocks/springs. There is a custom shop in my area that recommended installing a completely custom air suspension setup with computer controlled electronic dampening (much like the system that comes factory installed in the Escalade), however it is pricey (around $8k). The other issue with air suspension is the shocks do not seem to last long. I have had to replace the shocks a few times on the Escalade. Seems like the only other options besides that are either KW V3's, or the BC coilers that figs recommended with 14k/10k springs. If anyone is in the Nor Cal easy bay area and has either of these setups let me know as I would love to go for a ride.
I live in the same city as jadeboy on stock 2013 suspension. It is a smoother ride than 2008 but I can still feel all the bumps when going over manholes and uneven roads. If your intention for this ride is strictly comfort and no track days, the KW v3 does really offer the bang for buck. Remember, FIGS can outfit custom spring rates for you on the KWv3( the kwv3 deafult rates come very soft) but at that point, you're already reaching Ohlins and Penskes pricing. Rafi gave me a pretty detailed explanation between his Penskes product vs the competition. Do not hesitate to contact him.

If your other purpose is for the stance look, look no further than the Swift Springs.
Old 04-05-16, 08:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunex
The one thing I found issue with that helped was lowering the tyre pressures a bit. The book values are so high, it feels like you've fitted cartwheels to the thing. I think if you intend to approach the vehicle's top speed, the quoted values are almost 50psi. Ridiculous!
Not in the US. Tire pressure here is 36 psi on all four corners, no exceptions. I have no idea what is in the European owner's manuals, but here we have a prominent sticker on the driver's door jamb with the relevant pressures.

Quick Reply: Smoothing out the ride quality of the ISF