IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

To buy or not to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 10:38 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MpKSonic
A quick update to all of those who are interested...which I know is all of you. lol.

The car is a no-go. The pre-purchase inspection from Lexus came back with what I'd call about an A-/B+ grade. The only two things that were noted from their standard inspection were the cabin filter and the brake fluid. Both were in bad shape, which means the 90k service was most likely not done. Oh, and the engine cover is missing. How the hell does that go missing???

Things that I noticed in my visual inspection were the front tow hook cover is missing and the front passenger side of the bumper is loose, from the fender well to just inside the headlight. I asked Lexus to look into those. The tow hook cover is $21, so that's fine, but they said the bumper clips are broken below the headlight and also on the bottom, which means it would have to be replaced to be fixed.

Once I got back to the dealership who owns the car, the salesman asked how it went and I told him. He brought his manager over who asked me what it would take for me to get to purchase the car. I said a fixed bumper and I'd highly consider it. After a phone call and a price quote, the manager said he can't fix the bumper so I thanked them and walked away

I know I can spend a couple thousand more to find one in much better condition, so I'm not upset that this one did not workout. At least I got to drive the car by myself without the salesman, and man, it makes me happier than I thought it would. I loved my 350, but the F is in a different class all together and I can't wait to own one.
That is a good price though, some here try to stick you 08 for mid 30s lol.

I kinda feel bad that I walked on 2012 with 50k for abit less then $35k. Was from Lexus dealership with some warranty but not in perfect shape. They were also willing to fix some things like repaint/fix bumpers but were not willing to do brakes/rotors or lower the price etc. I wasnt super serious about buying then, so I walked away.....now I get some crazy $42-44 offers on pretty much the same car with 10-30k less miles

Last edited by kolyan; 04-07-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-24-16, 06:57 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally test drove this car yesterday. To be honest it is a POs. Feels very worn and not taken care of. Besides issues OP mentioned the paint is very dull with bird poop markings. Trim around Windows is peeling. Inside leather has multiple large scratches. I don't think car was ever garaged nor fully maintained.

Car mpg was reading 9.8 and tank average was 10.5 so either people have been driving the hell out of it or its in need of a major tune.

After this experience I don't think I want to buy an F with more than 30-40k miles in the clock
Old 04-24-16, 07:19 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

One of the first Fs I drove when looking to buy was a total POS black 08 at only had like 48000 miles on the clock, but my god was this thing a mess! I only drove it bc they are hard to even find one around to test drive.

First thing I noticed was mismatched and worn all season tires. I started it up and it must've been decatted bc that thing was horribly loud and pretty much every light on the dash that could be on was on and stayed on!!!

Even at at, I still appreciated what e car "could" be and oddly enough of every F I've driven, this one seemed to shift insanely fast, not sure why.

Anyways, I come back and the sales guy asks me if I liked the car to which I replied, I love the car, just not THAT CAR! I'm pretty sure I told him it was a complete mess and that the original owner should be ashamed of themselves
Old 04-24-16, 07:58 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Your experiences are a testament to what I've said in multiple threads. Mileage is not always an indicator of quality. Both low and high mileage can be prestine if properly cared for. I think in general you are better off buying from private party, generally those who care about their car, than most dealers just out to make a buck. That is unless you are buying CPO, which vehicles are held to a higher quality standard prior to sale.
Old 04-25-16, 09:26 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FFM
Your experiences are a testament to what I've said in multiple threads. Mileage is not always an indicator of quality. Both low and high mileage can be prestine if properly cared for. I think in general you are better off buying from private party, generally those who care about their car, than most dealers just out to make a buck. That is unless you are buying CPO, which vehicles are held to a higher quality standard prior to sale.
True. My Lexus IS250 now purchased at 74K and now at 104K. If you put a sticker covering the odometer you would be hard pressed to guess it had over 100K. Previous owner obviously took good care of it external and internal. Leather is good. Back seat hardly used. No rattles/noise. Everything feels "tight". And being a 2.5 engine, pretty sure not hard driven much. It was a CPO car with 100K warranty when I purchased it so that explains it.
Old 04-26-16, 10:35 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

If u like it, and u r happy with the price get it, you will be a very happy man . Enjoy while u can because u only live once and once is enough!
Old 04-26-16, 11:02 AM
NarsISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5511098719.html

I feel like this is a great deal for an ISF with only 80K miles at least in my area..if i didn't own one already i would have inspected this one for sure. Hell, I am even debating of buying a 2nd since i love the car so much The buyer did state that price is negotiable and when he said "new paint" he means it looks new and has not been repainted.
Old 04-26-16, 01:23 PM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NarsISF
5511098719.html

I feel like this is a great deal for an ISF with only 80K miles at least in my area..if i didn't own one already i would have inspected this one for sure. Hell, I am even debating of buying a 2nd since i love the car so much The buyer did state that price is negotiable and when he said "new paint" he means it looks new and has not been repainted.
So buyer confirmed that it has not been repainted. When I hear "new paint" it means literally new paint job.
Old 04-26-16, 01:52 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

What are the custom wheels? haha I just see the stock ones.
Old 04-26-16, 11:45 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
What are the custom wheels? haha I just see the stock ones.
I agree... New paint, custom wheels... That guy is definitely not the best at wording his ad to move the car!
Old 04-28-16, 07:03 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I purchased the vehicle. After nearly a month of going back and forth with the dealership, we finally came to terms. I got them to fix several things on the vehicle, inside and out, and perform maintenance to get it up to date. I also got them to give me $2,500 more than they initially offered on the trade-in.

I know the car is not perfect, but I'm okay with that because the price left me with a lot of money to play with, and, being an engineer, I love to tinker, so with a list of things to fix or make better, it makes me happy in a weird way.

Contrary to what someone said earlier, I think the car drives great. There are no creeks or rattles or squeaks. Compared to my previous 350, it's definitely stiffer and the steering feels more 'heavy', but it drives like I'd expect. There is no dried bird poop stuck to the vehicle. lol. It definitely needs some TLC, but I'm more than happy to take on restoring the clear coat. The passenger seat indeed looks like someone with a bedazzled booty sat in it once or twice and the leather on the driver side door is scuffed up. I'll have to research the cost to fix those. I have an appointment today to have the front bumper appraised. My first stab at the cost is $1,200. The bumper alone is $417 through Lexus.

BUT, at the end of the day, the car is an absolute pleasure to drive and it makes me happy.

Since I've taken delivery of the vehicle, I've put a subwoofer in to replace the ML sub and blacked out the driver side of the window trim, as that's the side that was dry and peeling.

Obligatory pics:
To buy or not to buy...-boo4tfn.jpg

To buy or not to buy...-wpatpcb.jpg

To buy or not to buy...-h2rxzk4.jpg

Still need to black out the passenger's window trim:
To buy or not to buy...-jljisnn.jpg
Old 04-28-16, 08:23 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Congrats!................. now take off that Dodge sticker on the bumper, can't believe they put that thing on like you were going to do some free advertising for them on your Lexus
Old 04-28-16, 08:31 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats!

An F will always be an F at the end of the day. Sounds like you are well versed in what to do to get it back to it's former glory.

Every car deserves a chance to shine. If you are willing to put the time and money in to make it so, good for you mate.

Nice to know one less F is out there being abused and mistreated at the hands of people who don't appreciate just how good these cars really are.

I'm sure you will nurse it back to rude health in no time!

Best of luck with it, and hope you are both very happy together.
Old 04-28-16, 08:52 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Congrats!................. now take off that Dodge sticker on the bumper, can't believe they put that thing on like you were going to do some free advertising for them on your Lexus
Thanks! Already bought goo gone and wd-40 to take care of it. Ran out of time last night blacking out the driver's side window. I'll do it today.
Old 04-28-16, 02:11 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexusofomahaparts.com is your friend the front bumper shipped to your door is under 300 dollars check it out .

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy...