IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

fellow ISF owner suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 07:26 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default fellow ISF owner suspension opinions

I own a 2008 ISF and have had the car to the track a few times on the stock suspension. The car will be hot lapped a few times this up coming season too. The car is fun, however I feel like there is a lot of body roll in the car and would like to improve the handling of the car. I also want the car lower to get rid of the front wheel gap. I am currently on the stock wheels with 245/275 setup.
I have also just bought a set of 20" Rohana RF2 with a 245/285 setup.

I don't have a ton of money to spend on suspension at the current moment, because I plan on buying Sikky headers right away and I just bought those wheels mentioned above.

So, in your professional opinion, what do you think is the better move.

Option 1- Swift lowering springs, rear sway bar and RR Racing USRS and maybe another little part or two that someone could recommend.

Option 2- BC racing coilovers with swift spring upgrade.

Option 3- something that you guys recommend that is better than option 1 and 2 and costs around 1200 dollars.

I look forward to some excellent advice as I know a lot of you are experts in this field..
Old 03-24-16, 07:30 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnfwm
I own a 2008 ISF and have had the car to the track a few times on the stock suspension. The car will be hot lapped a few times this up coming season too. The car is fun, however I feel like there is a lot of body roll in the car and would like to improve the handling of the car. I also want the car lower to get rid of the front wheel gap. I am currently on the stock wheels with 245/275 setup.
I have also just bought a set of 20" Rohana RF2 with a 245/285 setup.

I don't have a ton of money to spend on suspension at the current moment, because I plan on buying Sikky headers right away and I just bought those wheels mentioned above.

So, in your professional opinion, what do you think is the better move.

Option 1- Swift lowering springs, rear sway bar and RR Racing USRS and maybe another little part or two that someone could recommend.

Option 2- BC racing coilovers with swift spring upgrade.

Option 3- something that you guys recommend that is better than option 1 and 2 and costs around 1200 dollars.

I look forward to some excellent advice as I know a lot of you are experts in this field..

only thing i will say is the RR Racing USRS is a must .. if ur doing anything with the suspension. it is one of the more appreciated upgrades. really makes a difference on the car
Old 03-24-16, 08:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You need to decide if you want mechanical performance or visual performance. None of the options you presented provide improved mechanical grip for track performance.
Old 03-24-16, 08:25 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

I would say to jump on the RR-Racing Penske group buy, but its not in your $1200 budget. For that price, the USRS , spring, and sway bar option isn't bad.. Let me know if you want to pick up a set!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-24-16, 08:26 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

lobuxracer, that's where option 3 comes in. I am not an expert in this field and my ears are wide open to listen to knowledge. Is there a suggestion you could make?

I made mention of the 20" wheels as to why I don't have a ton of money left for suspension. The 20's are for rolling around town, not tracking.
I know tracking with 20's is not ideal, I plan on using the stockers for that reason. With that piece of information added in, could you elaborate further between mechanical and visual performance?

Last edited by Dnfwm; 03-24-16 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 08:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

the biggest short coming of the OEM suspension is weak front springs. I would also say ride height is compromised, but I have not measured the suspension to understand optimum ride height yet. I have not made the time to do it....

If you want faster lap times, you need to choose between looks and mechanical grip. What looks good will have a long roll couple which means you will need significantly greater spring rates to counter roll. We already have people complaining about roll with the OEM setup (I am not sure why unless they just don't understand driving effectively), so if you decide you want the car lower, you'll need much higher spring rates and that means much higher damping rates to deal with the springs, so you find yourself in a death spiral trying to get both visual performance and mechanical performance. That's why I say you'll need to choose what you ultimately want.
Old 03-24-16, 10:24 PM
BuLLdAwG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 2013-2014 suspension shocks w/swift springs sitting in the garage for my '08. I also have the upgraded bushings via new rear lca and toe links. I'm still going to be one part short, but I may look into a bushing replacement instead of oem replacement.

I've seen a couple good reviews and I don't track the car otherwise I would be all over the penskes.

I just installed the RC-F front lca bracket and bushings and I like the steering response, but I have a suspicion the FIGS or USRS would be the best choice....minus cold weather creaking.

Edit: "FIGS" above shows a link to some amazon plate frame for some reason on my tablet. No clue wtf that's about. I have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by BuLLdAwG; 03-25-16 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Link?
Old 03-24-16, 10:32 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

There is a very fine line between looking good and having the car perform well. Either one does their mods for show or for spirited runs/track, but very hard to maximize both without swapping parts.

I know you just purchased the Rohanas, but if possible, throw the stock ones back on and, given the feedback from others, I'd go with the bushings, sway bar, and save the rest for a helmet and track event. Even on stockies, and while some have gone, including myself, you learn so much about the car and from there decide what the next move should be.
Old 03-24-16, 11:31 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

More than anything I would love to jump in on that Penske deal and in theory I could afford it, I just have a hard time justifying it. That 3250 U.S. will end up costing me 5,000 or more and I just don't think I can come to terms with that.

Canadian dollar is in the gutter and conversion alone on that 3250 is around 4500 plus international shipping, plus duty, plus taxes, plus install.

I guess I have some tough decisions in front of me. At the end of the day i think i would be happy if I could get the car a little lower and to handle a little bit better than what it does now. Hopefully either one of those options will accomplish that.

Has anyone tracked an f on swift lowering springs before? If so, what are your thoughts? And same goes for BC coils, any thoughts on those?
Old 03-25-16, 06:28 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Kw3's on my car. I do not track this car and its for looks. I feel it handles well taking corners and big on ramps. I also baby the hell out of this car sooooo. Might not be the best opinion.

I however like the Kw3's
Old 03-25-16, 11:36 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

once my Penskes show up ill have some Stance Coilovers for sale for $800
Old 03-25-16, 12:42 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Old guy rant here, just gotta ask...

Why is it that so many consider "good looking" to be stretched tires fitted on heavy, larger diameter rims with offsets 20-30 mm lower than stock, with way too much camber needed to make them fit on their overly lowered car?

To these eyes it makes the car appear to be modded on the cheap, like it's owner couldn't afford to install parts that fit and work together to enhance both the looks and performance of the vehicle.

I know that many have spent lots of cash to achieve an "agressive stance". But just ask yourself how agressive is it to have to drive like your grandmother just to roll on our crappy, poorly maintained roads?

Looking forward to lively responses.

Dennis
Old 03-25-16, 01:10 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Originally Posted by tas02

Why is it that so many consider "good looking" to be stretched tires fitted on heavy, larger diameter rims with offsets 20-30 mm lower than stock, with way too much camber needed to make them fit on their overly lowered car?

To these eyes it makes the car appear to be modded on the cheap, like it's owner couldn't afford to install parts that fit and work together to enhance both the looks and performance of the vehicle.

I know that many have spent lots of cash to achieve an "agressive stance". But just ask yourself how agressive is it to have to drive like your grandmother just to roll on our crappy, poorly maintained roads?

Dennis
I will try to justify my response for mine. I bought a set of used 20's with 245s and 285s in the back. 9" front rims and 10"rears. This is definitely not a stretched tire set up. The guy has put 2,000 miles on the setup so tires are practically brand new. He paid 2500+ for the setup, I paid 1000 dollars for said set up. I was going to need a new set of tires this year anyways, so I figured for the same price I could have rims and tires. I can run the tires all year, burn them off and if I decide later down the road that I no longer want the rims, I could resell the rims for the same amount of money , giving me tires for practically nothing.

I also thought I would try them out on the track and if the Pirelli p zero nero's aren't sticky enough, I will just buy a set of mpss for the stock 19's and use those as dedicated track wheels.

I will also add, I do like the look of an F on 20's sitting a little bit lower.

I think this car looks incredible!!

Last edited by Dnfwm; 03-25-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 02:07 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02

Dennis
It draws more attention, which many crave more than performance. That's pretty much it.
Old 03-25-16, 03:25 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well with the wheels, you can always swamp back and forth. with the suspension, not so much unless you have the cash, time and access to do it.

I'm in the same dilemma, I'm lowered on Tein springs with stock shocks. I love the look, but on less than perfect roads, the ride gets bouncy per se. the shock are original though.

however, this Saturday I'm installing 08 springs and shocks that have 8,000 miles on them and the USRS.

Quick Reply: fellow ISF owner suspension opinions