IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus ISF all listed way above KBB retail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 10:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Annnnd this is why Im keeping mine
Old 03-25-16, 11:03 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kings222
well...were talkin about a car that was made for 6 years and more or less about 5k of them being sent to the US....not including ones totaled or stolen. Its a rare car and TBH id rather have an ISF over RCF...I see a lot more RCF's now.
+1, OP, this isn't a Honda Accord. LOL

You can probably pick up a 2013 if you wait another year. It really depends what you're looking to spend. Most dealers didn't negotiate on this car when I was shopping for it back in 2012, it was a take it or leave it proposition. I got my 2013 just over invoice. This is after almost buying a 2012 and not taking action. Well someone else did, and snagged it.

With the RCF doing marginally well on sales and most people wanting a 4-door and this car isn't made anymore, the outlook for the ISF looks quite good IMO.
Old 03-25-16, 05:43 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck getting an RC-F for $45k next year.
Old 03-25-16, 07:38 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

All you have to do is look at depreciation to understand that car is way over priced or not. When you loose 4-5k per year on a used Lexus then you are clearly not getting anywhere close to a good deal. Cars I owned (including Germans) lost $1-2k
Old 03-25-16, 08:09 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JaponesV8
Ya I'm in no rush, I guess I just didn't understand why so many crazy overpriced. Example at least $5000 over retail. Sounds like just a lot of buyers wishful thinking.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24735878&Log=0
You sound like all the guys on Supraforums crying in their milk because they have to pay more for CLEAN MKIV 6MT Turbos than the cars sold for new. There are a lot more similarities between the Supra and the IS-F than is apparent at first blush. Although Supra Turbos imported into the U.S. were rare (approximately 6900 or which 4038 were six-speeds), the IS-F is rarer still with roughly 5000+ cars, of the roughly 12,000 world-wide, sold in the U.S.

Haha now that was a fanboy rant. I would agree with you if it was 2008. Since then MANY cars tear up the ISF in all things minus reliability.

Given sales of GM products, reliability doesn't matter to many. It just so happens to be #1 on my list as I keep cars a LONG time.

As far as being some rarity, I would agree if the RCF and GSF were never produced....and sitting on dealers lots. For same reasons above, they're being outclassed and subsequently outsold.

A CTSV in the same price range is 640hp taking Lambos to task. You can't have a sports sedan at the same price 200hp below its main competitor.

If GM made products of same reliability, I'd never look twice at Lexus.

I can all but guarantee the new engine will find its way into the IS.
For you, horsepower is the primary criterion associated with value. For others, likely most, it is but one factor, an important one, but not overriding as your post above implies.

Originally Posted by juanmedina
This thread is really pointless... is for people that cannot find an IS-F for whatever price they are willing to pay.

You got to pay to play or buy something else. Your opinions are not going to change the market; please don't make another thread a year from now complaining about the same thing.
Agree with this.

There are many who come on Supraforums with their idea of what the car is worth, citing many of the same "facts" as the OP. The IS-F was Lexus' first "F" car, a skunkworks car that was never fully productionized because the original design brief did not include a 5L, 4-cam V8 sitting in the engine compartment. If history is any indication, the skunkworks development will add to the sexy lore of the car as time passes.

The car ceased production in 2014. It was a rare car to begin with and becoming rarer by the day. We are just approaching the two-year anniversary of the car being out of production. Let more time pass, and I am almost certain the prices of clean, accident-free cars will rise dramatically as they have in the Supra world, and others. With the car being out of production for only two years, there is, likely, a window where the occasional steal deal can be made. Still, I wouldn't think that window will be open for as long as it was for the Supra.

I'm an old fart so I know what this car sold for new: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-911-e/. Back to my point about horsepower and market value. This Porsche 911E was not even the most powerful 911 at the time the car was being produced, that distinction being reserved by the 911S.

Ken.
Old 03-25-16, 10:19 PM
thequickad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not true German cars only depreciates $1K to $2K per year. My neighbor just leased a $120K Mercedes SL500, the residual on that car after 3-yr lease is $77K. That's $43K of depreciation in 3 years and $14K per year.
Old 03-26-16, 01:19 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by thequickad
It's not true German cars only depreciates $1K to $2K per year. My neighbor just leased a $120K Mercedes SL500, the residual on that car after 3-yr lease is $77K. That's $43K of depreciation in 3 years and $14K per year.
I wasn't talking about your neighbor and a new SL. I am talking about a used ISF that are sold for top dollar today vs a decent deal you can find on any other car. I had M3, 335, and A4, all 3 depreciated at a rate of about $1500 per year ($2000 is fine too). I expect the same or less from Lexus.

Paying $40s for a 4 year old ISF doesn't scare me, it's selling it 2 years down the road for low 30s that doesn't feel quite right. Just FYI, years ago I bought 4 year old e46 m3 with warranty for $32k...

Last edited by kolyan; 03-26-16 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 02:43 AM
BluStreak1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You keep saying that if you keep the ISF for two years you're gonna lose 8-10K in value....yet this thread is about NOT being able to find cheap well maintained ISF's. So where are all these cars at losing value?? There should be a lot to choose from right? Like someone mentioned earlier....the ECU has just recently been cracked and aftermarket tunes are being created....just a matter of time before forced induction comes in to play and these cars will be easily topping 550+ hp. What's the value gonna be like then? There's a reason you can get deals on M3's and 335i's....because there's TONS more of them out there for sale. Supply and demand...
Old 03-26-16, 03:51 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Is f is discontinued...its a rare breed....

Last edited by chris07is; 03-26-16 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 05:56 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by BluStreak1
You keep saying that if you keep the ISF for two years you're gonna lose 8-10K in value....yet this thread is about NOT being able to find cheap well maintained ISF's. So where are all these cars at losing value?? There should be a lot to choose from right? Like someone mentioned earlier....the ECU has just recently been cracked and aftermarket tunes are being created....just a matter of time before forced induction comes in to play and these cars will be easily topping 550+ hp. What's the value gonna be like then? There's a reason you can get deals on M3's and 335i's....because there's TONS more of them out there for sale. Supply and demand...
All I am saying is try selling 6 years old ISF (2010 model) with roughly 50-55k miles on it for anything over $33-34....maybe even $30. Member in here recently had 2010 with 35k miles listed for $32.5 and no one bought it (clean, stock, no accidents ,etc), had to trade it in....probably for even lower price. This was a fair deal without any bs markups.

Unlocked ECU only means cheaper more beat up ISFs on the road, people pay more for stock car, not modded

Last edited by kolyan; 03-26-16 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 11:26 AM
BluStreak1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't sell a 2010 M3 w/ 55k miles for 33K either so what's your point? If a car is modded properly with quality parts....people will buy it...trust me. I've had no trouble selling any of my past vehicles.
Old 03-26-16, 12:03 PM
kolyan
Advanced

You can't sell a 2010 M3 w/ 55k miles for 33K either so what's your point? If a car is modded properly with quality parts....people will buy it...trust me. I've had no trouble selling any of my past vehicles.
Yes, because you can buy CPO 2011 M3 with 30k miles for $32k vs $40s that people asking for ISF with same year and miles. M3 bought for 32k will not depreciate 5k per year, Lexus will. Thats the point.
I bought my 4 year old M3 for $32k with 28k miles on it, 1-1.5 years and 20k miles later I sold it within 24 hours for $34.5 with some accessories (hardtop and winter wheels), be it ISF at $40k back then, I would have to say goodbye to my hard earned $5k cash....

Last edited by kolyan; 03-26-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-26-16, 12:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I feel sorry for people who borrow money to buy cars. I couldn't care less what a lender thinks my purchase is worth..
Truth. Borrowing cars for something depreciating doesn't make much sense. I either have the funds to pay for it or I don't. And I'm certainly not going to beg an auto manufacturer's financial services to get me a lower rate. At the most, I'll shop for a rate that is to my benefit, such as what credit unions offer as part of their memberships. And no prepayment penalty is just icing on the cake.

Originally Posted by KJH

For you, horsepower is the primary criterion associated with value. For others, likely most, it is but one factor, an important one, but not overriding as your post above implies.

There are many who come on Supraforums with their idea of what the car is worth, citing many of the same "facts" as the OP. The IS-F was Lexus' first "F" car, a skunkworks car that was never fully productionized because the original design brief did not include a 5L, 4-cam V8 sitting in the engine compartment. If history is any indication, the skunkworks development will add to the sexy lore of the car as time passes.

The car ceased production in 2014. It was a rare car to begin with and becoming rarer by the day. We are just approaching the two-year anniversary of the car being out of production. Let more time pass, and I am almost certain the prices of clean, accident-free cars will rise dramatically as they have in the Supra world, and others. With the car being out of production for only two years, there is, likely, a window where the occasional steal deal can be made. Still, I wouldn't think that window will be open for as long as it was for the Supra.

Ken.
Completely agree with you, Ken! The value of a car goes beyond how much HP it advertised. An unrestored Toyota 2000GT can still fetch six, even seven digits. Yet, it is nowhere near as fast as today's cars, but the prestige and value makes it worth it to those bidding for it.

The whole concept of how the IS F came into fruition is what intrigued me the most when purchasing the vehicle. A side project essentially, from some guys who just really wanted to make something special for Toyota. It was never really planned out, and that really made it special. There was hardly any advertising for it. Hell, I had to go check it out through my mom's Neiman Marcus catalog just to see what cars were being offered for that holiday season. The IS F has its flaws, and it wasn't entirely well received the first few years, but through tweaks and revisions, it was undoubtedly on par with the competition in its class. Do I see the car being as highly sought after as say an MKIV Supra? I would hope so, but I didn't purchase my F thinking that it would appreciate in value, only to be such in my eyes. Learning more and more about the IS F's history and being that it is the first F marquee model- I'm proud to own an example and even prouder to say that I'm not bored with the car due to its lack of HP compared to newer cars or even be tuned or modded extensively (yet).

I can attest to this. From personal experience alone, there are a few interested buyers in my F, with offers that are much higher than KBB/NADA/etc, yet I've never told a single soul I was entertaining offers because I'm not. There are just people who want a clean vehicle that has been thoroughly maintained and cared for. As much as I've been told I'm an idiot for not accepting one particular offer multiple times, the car means more to me than just whatever amount I can recoup. And the best part- my significant other realizes this. She knows how much the F means to me and flat out said that I will never sell my F for anything. A gal who understands this, despite not liking cars in general, knows how special the car is.
Old 03-26-16, 01:47 PM
JaponesV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxprime
Good luck getting an RC-F for $45k next year.
You were saying.....

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...ting=134107198
Old 03-26-16, 02:25 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is a 2015 with freaken 32k miles

can we ban this guy?

Quick Reply: Lexus ISF all listed way above KBB retail?