IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The First time to take my F to Motorsports Ranch 3.1mi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 10:52 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The First time to take my F to Motorsports Ranch 3.1mi.

This is not my 1st track day! But it is with my F, that I've owned for about a year now. She did better than I expected & now I want more suspension mods to make her track faster. This was my last session of the day. I had to cut it a couple of laps short, cause I went out with only a 1/4 of a tank left & I started getting some fuel starvation. This is at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson Tx. This is their 3.1 mi configuration. Enjoy. I love this track.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 03-24-16 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 07:50 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

That track looks fun! For some reason, it reminds me of gran turismo from back in the days..... keep it coming!
Old 03-23-16, 10:36 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Right on !!! Buddy. Very nice. Glad you had a chance to get her out there. Welcome to the brotherhood of Track F's and Track F'ers

Please add the video to out ISF track day video and photo gallery https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-thread.html
Old 03-23-16, 10:52 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Nice man!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-23-16, 02:13 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing, very entertaining. What were you following out there?

I'm certainly no expert, but it appears you know what you're doing.
Old 03-24-16, 12:26 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by idoke1
That track looks fun! For some reason, it reminds me of gran turismo from back in the days..... keep it coming!
Lol, yeah it does kinda resemble a few of the old tracks.

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Nice man!

-Josh
Thanks!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Right on !!! Buddy. Very nice. Glad you had a chance to get her out there. Welcome to the brotherhood of Track F's and Track F'ers

Please add the video to out ISF track day video and photo gallery https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-thread.html
Thanks man, ive been itching since I got her. Looks like me & my buddy are signing up for MSR Houston in June. So stay tuned, Ill have another track to show yall...

Originally Posted by tas02
Thanks for sharing, very entertaining. What were you following out there?

I'm certainly no expert, but it appears you know what you're doing.
Thanks man. I run in the Yellow Solo group just under Red group which is Expert. I need some more suspension parts & some TOYO 888's & I can get there. Im just running street tires, Falken FK452. That car was a Gen 4 Spec Miata, running full slicks.
Old 03-24-16, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I honestly doubt suspension and tires will improve the driver. I've never seen it happen. Next time, include your hands in the video. That will show more about you as a driver than anything, and it's not pure lap times that put you in a group. It's how you handle the car and traffic.

I am unimpressed by any video where the only view is out the front window, and I fail to see how it would be useful to understand what was going on in the cockpit while you are driving if you are not able to see your inputs.
Old 03-25-16, 10:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Lap times in traffic is EVERYTHING. If you can maintain a good line at 10/10ths the the power of deduction will allow us to assume the inputs are obviously good. The car doesnt steer it self. Also 99% of the videos on the forum, including many of figs, are all mounted on the window. I dont know if you have any experience with a GoPro on the track, but when you mount it to the sunroof to get a view of the driver you can easily get bleaching of the entire screen. All you see is the driver and nothing out the window. Even happens to YouTube auto reviewers . Just FYI as to why that is where most of the people who do track time will mount it there. We know how to counter steer . We have been playing video games for years

here is a link to Figs Engineering's channel . See for yourself https://www.youtube.com/user/Figbline720/videos

My concern is trying it and then getting burned with no good video for a session. Your driving will come a long way after 14 track days. Inputs are obvious. Just my 2 cents

I guess a simple way to describe it is if you see a guy who looks like a body builder you dont need to ask about his form when he is curling and dead lifting. If he is jacked you assume he knows what he is doing , right ?

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-25-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 12:49 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What was that sound I kept hearing that sounded like scraping?
Old 03-25-16, 02:42 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I honestly doubt suspension and tires will improve the driver. I've never seen it happen. Next time, include your hands in the video. That will show more about you as a driver than anything, and it's not pure lap times that put you in a group. It's how you handle the car and traffic.

I am unimpressed by any video where the only view is out the front window, and I fail to see how it would be useful to understand what was going on in the cockpit while you are driving if you are not able to see your inputs.
Sooo... Would it be anymore impressive for you to know that I'm a paraplegic & broke my back racing Motocross in 98 & Im driving only with my hands!. So throttle & break with my left hand & steering only with my right. If you watch the video closely in the top left you can see slight reflections from the windshield of my left hand on the hand control & then see my right hand slide through the steering wheel to down shift in certain area's. A couple area's I use the stick to down shift, cause i cant get to the paddle. Just a little more info for you to digest. This was my 1st track day in 5yrs & I missed the 1st day cause I was still in the hospital after having surgery on my right thigh, cause i broke my femur. Didnt want to lose my $355 I paid for the weekend, cause they couldnt find a driver to fill my spot. Surgery on Friday @ 4pm , out of the hospital on Sat @ 5pm. Went home & had my buddy finish putting my 4pt harness in & at the track Sunday morning 8am to get my fix.... Please feel free to tell my how stupid I am for taking that risk...
Old 03-25-16, 04:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sure. I have cervical stenosis and can lose control of my legs with only a small incident. We all have our issues. That's not the point.

Your hand motion tells a lot about how well you are controlling the car. Watch a video of Leh Keen. He has alien hands. His hands are moving before the car is doing anything wrong because he knows what the car is doing long before it does it. F1 drivers are the same, even the guys at the back of the pack because they are all incredibly talented.

I really don't care if you think it's a knock. It isn't. It's a fact. Your hand motion on the wheel tells more about your driving than any other view. Sorry Tammer, but you are wrong. I have worked with professionals. You're not even close. It's all about the nut behind the wheel.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-25-16 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 05:39 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice run! Track looks fun to drive too.
Old 03-25-16, 05:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Sure. I have cervical stenosis and can lose control of my legs with only a small incident. We all have our issues. That's not the point.

Your hand motion tells a lot about how well you are controlling the car. Watch a video of Leh Keen. He has alien hands. His hands are moving before the car is doing anything wrong because he knows what the car is doing long before it does it. F1 drivers are the same, even the guys at the back of the pack because they are all incredibly talented.

I really don't care if you think it's a knock. It isn't. It's a fact. Your hand motion on the wheel tells more about your driving than any other view. Sorry Tammer, but you are wrong. I have worked with professionals. You're not even close. It's all about the nut behind the wheel.

Leh Keen's Rain Dance - 24 Hours Nürburgring - /DRIVER'S EYE - YouTube

Right on , Lance. As always I appreciate your input. Might try it but I am afraid of the bleaching I mentioned. I still think the drivers line and lap time is paramount. Obviously when I am driving , especially like a track like Chuckwalla, and am counter steering as I exit turns from time to time. Would be informative to see how I counter but then I lose visual field on the track in the video.

Perhaps a helmet mount for the GoPro!! Cool video
Old 03-25-16, 05:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Right on , Lance. As always I appreciate your input. Might try it but I am afraid of the bleaching I mentioned. I still think the drivers line and lap time is paramount. Obviously when I am driving , especially like a track like Chuckwalla, and am counter steering as I exit turns from time to time. Would be informative to see how I counter but then I lose visual field on the track in the video.

Perhaps a helmet mount for the GoPro!! Cool video
The first thing I learned racing wheel to wheel motorcycles is, you will never have the ideal line. Ever. You have to make the most of what you have, so you make lemonade with the lemons you have. Surprisingly enough, you will find out that the sucky line you had to take to pass the slow as crap MF'r won't kill your lap time. Yes, lap times are king because the guy with the lowest overall laptimes wins, but at the same time, just because you went off line to get around some slowpoke doesn't mean you will lose.
Old 03-25-16, 05:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The first thing I learned racing wheel to wheel motorcycles is, you will never have the ideal line. Ever. You have to make the most of what you have, so you make lemonade with the lemons you have. Surprisingly enough, you will find out that the sucky line you had to take to pass the slow as crap MF'r won't kill your lap time. Yes, lap times are king because the guy with the lowest overall laptimes wins, but at the same time, just because you went off line to get around some slowpoke doesn't mean you will lose.
OK. Got you. I see your point.

I can only imagine going all out on a bike.

Quick Reply: The First time to take my F to Motorsports Ranch 3.1mi.