IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Replacing rear bumper reflectors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 09:02 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing rear bumper reflectors...

I know there were some information on the removal of the rear bumper, but must of the pdf files, instructions, links..are not working because are pretty old messages, since this probably something already knowledgable from lots of you. So, I need to remove the bumper to remplace the reflectors for some lead breaking lights, so I'll also need to find the rear break lights cables to jump this leds. Has anyone done this job, can someone share some instructions around this? I'll appreciate any help... Thanks
Old 03-20-16, 01:18 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I believe jdmv8 has this installed, check his build thread...i actually have one this but haven't not installed it...
Old 03-20-16, 03:16 PM
Eckotyper
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's very easy... Remove the bumper... And the reflectors are held in by a screw at the back of each one... I lengthened the wires on both... And ran the driver rear led reflector along the bumper (taped down with blue tape after thoroughly cleansing the inside of the bumper... And then I tapped into the passanger rear led reflector... At this point both are now together and ran and still just 3 wires... I then used older Honda clips to run all 3 wires on a plug... Because if you ever need to take the rear bumper off it will be a simple plug and play... Just unplug... The other end of the plug is 3 wires ran through the wiring on the passanger rear side rubber seal that gives access to the trunk... Yu a wore tap kit to tap into rear brake lights and boom. Done.
Old 03-20-16, 09:10 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually did this tonight. I was going to do a DIY with pictures but it is rather simple...

just look at this thread and it is pretty similar... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-method.html

There are 2 bolts behind the wheels on the bottom of the bumper... 2 fasteners on the underside in the middle of the bumper you have to loosen away from the bottom plastic diffuser... there is one bolt behind the felt liner in the wheel well... just move the liner to the side after you remove the 2 bottom bolts as the bumper will be able to flail outwards to get in there a little better... i used an extension to get in there... again refer back to the above link to get a better understanding of this bolt behind the bumper... there will also be 2 bolts behind some covers near the lower rubber trunk liner...

If you have parking sensors, the wire is on the driver's side so don't let the bumper fall to the ground... it is held by a black plate with a screw... As i got the bumper fully detached, i would let it rest on the styrofoam reinforcement as that will give you enough space to unscrew that screw while it is sitting on the styrofoam... you can unscrew that and the bumper can rest on the ground afterwards...

For the wiring... you have to remove the bag hook... just a phillips screw... there's a fastener right above the hook where you can just wiggle from side to side with a flat head to remove the carpet liner... you will see the 3 wires going to the tailights... if you look downwards near the black plastic cover that the carpet meets, you will see the harness to where the wires go to the actual tailight and turn signal... the white with black stripe is the negative... the green wire is the parking light... the white with green stripe is the brake light... I routed it through the hole where the rubber boot is... just tap into the wires and voila...

I will post up pics later... i have a usb and got smoked lenses... but i got the "fiber optic" version rather most peeps i've seen on here got the regular SMD LED... these versions http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-TOYOTA-A...9WmCe4&vxp=mtr

the only thing with those is that the lens is actually fatter than stock so it sticks a lil further out than stock but it's not a noticeable protrusion... i just notice it as i hand wash and dry my car and i suck up the water with a towel that is usually left over in the crevice below these reflectors... it still sits inside the bumper so it's not hanging out...

LMK if you have any other questions...
Old 03-23-16, 07:54 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these the same as the ijdmtoy ones? I've been looking at them thinking about the fluorescent "tube" style
Old 03-23-16, 08:07 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I actually have this, I might not put it on my car. I know this is not for sale thread, but I m just throwing out there. If anyone is looking for this, I have it...pm me...
Old 04-07-16, 12:19 AM
Ramfis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKweezy
I actually did this tonight. I was going to do a DIY with pictures but it is rather simple...

just look at this thread and it is pretty similar... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-method.html

There are 2 bolts behind the wheels on the bottom of the bumper... 2 fasteners on the underside in the middle of the bumper you have to loosen away from the bottom plastic diffuser... there is one bolt behind the felt liner in the wheel well... just move the liner to the side after you remove the 2 bottom bolts as the bumper will be able to flail outwards to get in there a little better... i used an extension to get in there... again refer back to the above link to get a better understanding of this bolt behind the bumper... there will also be 2 bolts behind some covers near the lower rubber trunk liner...

If you have parking sensors, the wire is on the driver's side so don't let the bumper fall to the ground... it is held by a black plate with a screw... As i got the bumper fully detached, i would let it rest on the styrofoam reinforcement as that will give you enough space to unscrew that screw while it is sitting on the styrofoam... you can unscrew that and the bumper can rest on the ground afterwards...

For the wiring... you have to remove the bag hook... just a phillips screw... there's a fastener right above the hook where you can just wiggle from side to side with a flat head to remove the carpet liner... you will see the 3 wires going to the tailights... if you look downwards near the black plastic cover that the carpet meets, you will see the harness to where the wires go to the actual tailight and turn signal... the white with black stripe is the negative... the green wire is the parking light... the white with green stripe is the brake light... I routed it through the hole where the rubber boot is... just tap into the wires and voila...

I will post up pics later... i have a usb and got smoked lenses... but i got the "fiber optic" version rather most peeps i've seen on here got the regular SMD LED... these versions http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-TOYOTA-A...9WmCe4&vxp=mtr

the only thing with those is that the lens is actually fatter than stock so it sticks a lil further out than stock but it's not a noticeable protrusion... i just notice it as i hand wash and dry my car and i suck up the water with a towel that is usually left over in the crevice below these reflectors... it still sits inside the bumper so it's not hanging out...

LMK if you have any other questions...
Thanks for the detailed info I'll work on those probably nexr weekend!!!
Old 04-07-16, 03:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Seen this before but it was a while back. Post some pics when you get it figured out
Old 04-07-16, 03:48 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have em installed and purchased them from ijdmtoy they are great,
Name:  IMG_4279_zpshdly6iln.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  126.8 KB

Last edited by jdm_altzza; 04-07-16 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TravisB423 (09-05-21)
Old 04-07-16, 10:06 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
I have em installed and purchased them from ijdmtoy they are great,
would you mind posting a link to it if you have it please? thanks

looks great by the way
Old 04-07-16, 11:05 PM
myspec15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice they look good
Old 04-08-16, 04:39 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, the cool thing about them is that when you brake they get brighter just like your tail lights.

here's the link where i purchased them from...
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Lexus IS-F GX470 Toyota Sienna Matrix Venza Avalon Red Lens LED Bumper Reflector Lights: Automotive Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Lexus IS-F GX470 Toyota Sienna Matrix Venza Avalon Red Lens LED Bumper Reflector Lights: Automotive
Old 04-08-16, 04:52 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Have a set of these on my car as well.

Nice visual enhancement for not a lot of money.

Install isn't too tough provided you follow the guidance outlined by JKweezy above in post #4.
Old 04-08-16, 08:04 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always hated the OEM reflectors or even the LED red strip, it looked out of place to me. Paint matched FTW

Name:  24149363066_23f689a89e_o_zpstfntausv.png
Views: 2617
Size:  1.26 MB
Old 04-08-16, 09:06 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
I believe jdmv8 has this installed, check his build thread...i actually have one this but haven't not installed it...
Yes
Bumper is pretty simple. 2 bolts in the fender well attaching it to the quarter, 2 screws revealed when you open the trunk (pop the 2 tabs out), get the plastic clips under the bumper.

Once the bumper is off, just screw off the reflectors.
for the LED reflectors, tap 1 into the other and tap the 2 applicable wires into the tail light...very simple. The 3rd wire (which dims upon braking), tap into the brake light. I don't remember the color scheme, but it was fairly easy to do without any instructions (granted you're comfortable working with basic wire tapping).

If you have specific questions you can PM me...

Quick Reply: Replacing rear bumper reflectors...