IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Door Panel recall issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 01:30 PM
trebISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Door Panel recall issue

Hey everyone, has anyone had any luck getting the early ISF door panels replaced by dealer due to recall? Mine are in horrible shape due to all the Texas heat. Initially thought I had luck with my dealer here in Austin then came to find out that they appeared to be fighting it because the ISF wasn't covered despite the door panel being made from same material and almost being identical. Still going back and forth with dealer so we shall see what happens.

If not has anybody found where they can be purchased for a decent price? Dealer was asking north of $2k per.
Old 03-18-16, 01:39 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Whats the re-call or TSB number?
Old 03-18-16, 01:45 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Last time I read it was only for the isx50 only. It's a damn shame Lexus, this material for this generation scratches easily and is very delicate. The best recommendation is take it up with corporate. It's going to be a long battle but you might get them to go 50/50.
Old 03-18-16, 01:51 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Some answers here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/783905-door-panels.html
Old 03-18-16, 01:52 PM
trebISF
Driver School Candidate

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/mone...hey-will-start

just found out that it's called a warranty extension not recall.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...ed%201086x1932.
Old 03-18-16, 02:01 PM
trebISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Last time I read it was only for the isx50 only. It's a damn shame Lexus, this material for this generation scratches easily and is very delicate. The best recommendation is take it up with corporate. It's going to be a long battle but you might get them to go 50/50.
it's a huge issue for any of the Lexus models in the mid to late 2000's. Mine has started to really irritate me and I'm still waiting on dealer response. Seems like contacting corporate is the way to go or make a fuss at the dealer.
Old 03-18-16, 02:08 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

For sure corporate, you're going to have to go back and forth with them too. The dealer doesn't have to do anything for you. They get reimbursed by coporate. I had a major issue in my is250. The whole dashboard was melted. As a matter of fact because of that issue it lead me to search for answers, that's when I found out about CL. Coporate basically covered parts I paid for labor. In hindsight I basically paid for the part too because the labor was ridiculously expensive. But like you, it irritated the hell out of me. Good luck though, I guess if several F owners complain to corporate. Perhaps they'll extend the warranty to us too.
Old 03-18-16, 02:09 PM
trebISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
For sure corporate, you're going to have to go back and forth with them too. The dealer doesn't have to do anything for you. They get reimbursed by coporate. I had a major issue in my is250. The whole dashboard was melted. As a matter of fact because of that issue it lead me to search for answers, that's when I found out about CL. Coporate basically covered parts I paid for labor. In hindsight I basically paid for the part too because the labor was ridiculously expensive. But like you, it irritated the hell out of me. Good luck though, I guess if several F owners complain to corporate. Perhaps they'll extend the warranty to us too.
Did they charge you a bunch for labor on the door panels? It's really easy to do if you have patience and the right tools. Could take maybe 2 hours for both doors. Dashboard on the other hand I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 03-18-16, 02:26 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by trebISF
Did they charge you a bunch for labor on the door panels? It's really easy to do if you have patience and the right tools. Could take maybe 2 hours for both doors. Dashboard on the other hand I wouldn't know where to start.
At the time, I only could afford the labor for the dashboard. I do remember having my door panels looking pretty bad. Another reason why I eventually upgraded to a 350. Absolutely no oils of any kind allowed on this material. When the oil gets mixed with the extensive heat. It causes a chemical reaction in the material. I doubt they addressed the issue. My 2011 F is starting to fade/ and get a bit hazy white. It's annoying. That's why the new generation is plastic galore all over the interior. Which I prefer in my opinion.
Old 03-18-16, 02:37 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

My door panels and trim haven't gotten sticky, but they sure scratch easily. My poor white leather seats have quite a bit of scuffs and wrinkles.
Old 03-19-16, 10:45 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Tucson and have noticed that I have to take extra precautions when the interior gets hot. Luckily this is not my DD so it spends most of its days in my garage. If the car is in the garage the material is fine, but once it gets hot it becomes soft and slightly tacky. I think leaving it alone when it is soft will help prevent it from denaturing. This indeed is very concerning.
Old 03-19-16, 02:08 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

This potential issue is concerning, but fortunately my car spends most of its resting time under cover. It's always in the garage at home, and there's a parking garage at my office.

-Mike
Old 04-21-16, 09:20 AM
neweyslex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
This potential issue is concerning, but fortunately my car spends most of its resting time under cover. It's always in the garage at home, and there's a parking garage at my office.

-Mike
My car was in the same environment as yours until we moved to a new office which have the limited amount of office parking garage so I have to park in the sun. Now I really see the sticky panel issue. We all need to call Lexus corporate. I'm hoping the they will cover this if we have enough people complaining.