IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Has anyone tried the EBC brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 05:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I have ancient HPS pads on my Supra. They suck compared to the Project Mu HC+800 I have on my F. I drove the cars back to back today, and I am ready to buy the Project Mu HC+800.for the Supra if they are available. As Matt said, the balance between throttle and brake is a whole lot closer with the HC+800. I was really disappointed with the Hawk offering after experiencing the Project Mu offeringl
Old 03-26-16, 04:26 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech or Performance Friction and I'll leave it at that.

I ran EBC yellows and they were okay. They were able to haul me down from 155 miles an hour within 300 feet on the back straight at VIR.
Old 03-26-16, 08:43 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
As such, I would never recommend EBC pads to an IS-F owner. I tried them once in my black Supra at the Streets of Willow in a magazine test. They were toast after less than two hot laps.
Ken.
Ken,

Do you recall what EBC pad compound (Redstuff, Yellowstuff, Bluestuff) you were using when they became toast at Streets of Willow?
Old 03-27-16, 12:22 AM
ML2100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got project mu pads. They dont make noise like oem brembos, less brake dust and over all hasnt been a problem for me so far. I bought them on here from one of the vendors... just gotta search I forget who...
Old 03-27-16, 10:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^Forum Sponsor SpeedFreaks carries Project Mu and offers a CL Discount.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/search.htm...ect+mu+for+ISF

I am running Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and Project Mu HC+800 pads in back. A GREAT Combo IMHO.

Both sets bought from SpeadFreaks

Lou
Old 03-27-16, 12:05 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Forum Sponsor SpeedFreaks carries Project Mu and offers a CL Discount.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/search.htm...ect+mu+for+ISF

I am running Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and Project Mu HC+800 pads in back. A GREAT Combo IMHO.

Both sets bought from SpeadFreaks

Lou
are these stock replacement? also, can the brembo rotors be turned?
Old 03-27-16, 12:28 PM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I was using yellowstuff with slotted rotors on my 350z - I was very disappointed. Very low friction when cold, later problems with glazing, not so great when warm, noisy when used hard.
My good colleague had them on e90 330i and also he didn't like them.

Project Mu HC+800 is the way to go, but I only used them on my e90 330i. I bought set for ISF, but I first need to finish OEM ones.
Old 03-27-16, 01:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mindcrime
are these stock replacement? also, can the brembo rotors be turned?
Yes, my pads fit the stock calipers. Ferodo doesn't make pads for the rear of the ISF, but the Project Mu has worked out GREAT. I still have my OEM pads with a lot of life left in 'em. But, IMO, the braking capabilities I have now is far superior to stock in performance (both when hot and when cold) and with less dust.

Turing rotors is only necessary if the surface is not smooth and has high spots, even then I would not recommend it. If your rotors are still smooth and measure above the minimum thickness, there is really no reason to mess with them when changing pads.

Lou
Old 03-27-16, 02:33 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

thanks for the info flow rider. what i meant is, the pads are for street and not track, correct? i'll check the smoothness of my rotors. i do want to upgrade pads though.
Old 03-27-16, 03:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Both the pads I have are dual purpose Street/Track. For street use only SpeedFreaks caries the Project Mu NS400.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11667143...s-f-front.html

You don't really have to check the rotor smoothness, if it were not smooth you would feel it when applying the brakes - the pedal would pulsate. But, as I said above, measuring thickness is important.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 03-27-16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 04:15 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Both the pads I have are dual purpose Street/Track. For street use only SpeedFreaks caries the Project Mu NS400.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11667143...s-f-front.html

You don't really have to check the rotor smoothness, if it were not smooth you would feel it when applying the brakes - the pedal would pulsate. But, as I said above, measuring thickness is important.

Lou
no worries. thanks for the clarification. no pulsating at all. i'll check rotor thickness one of these days, lol. braking is great, so i don't needs brakes anytime soon.
Old 03-27-16, 07:49 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Ken,

Do you recall what EBC pad compound (Redstuff, Yellowstuff, Bluestuff) you were using when they became toast at Streets of Willow?
Christian,

Unfortunately, I do not remember which EBC pads they were. I do know it was supposed to be their highest performing pad at the time. There was an EBC-sponsored Celica GTS on the track as well that may have fared better given its significantly lighter weight and less power as well, by quite a bit.

I've tried Pagid, OEM Brembo, OEM StopTech, Hawk, OEM Toyota, OEM Lexus and Ferodo pads on my personal cars. For my Supras, I have Ferodo DS 2500s on my three MKIVs. I love these pads, but they, likely, dust too much for many in here.

When I need pads for my IS-F, I will be purchasing some pads Matt recommended to me via PM. I forget the brand/model, but they are pricey. According to Matt, he believes the performance is even better than the Ferodo DS 2500s, a pad he has experience with as well. I am hoping those pads, the OS Giken Super Lock LSD and the 2012 steering ECU get me exactly where I want to be with this car.

Ken.
Old 03-29-16, 06:29 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Christian,

Unfortunately, I do not remember which EBC pads they were. I do know it was supposed to be their highest performing pad at the time. There was an EBC-sponsored Celica GTS on the track as well that may have fared better given its significantly lighter weight and less power as well, by quite a bit.

I've tried Pagid, OEM Brembo, OEM StopTech, Hawk, OEM Toyota, OEM Lexus and Ferodo pads on my personal cars. For my Supras, I have Ferodo DS 2500s on my three MKIVs. I love these pads, but they, likely, dust too much for many in here.

When I need pads for my IS-F, I will be purchasing some pads Matt recommended to me via PM. I forget the brand/model, but they are pricey. According to Matt, he believes the performance is even better than the Ferodo DS 2500s, a pad he has experience with as well. I am hoping those pads, the OS Giken Super Lock LSD and the 2012 steering ECU get me exactly where I want to be with this car.

Ken.
Ken,

The pads Matt recommended may very well be the Endless MX72 compound, RC112 and RC119 pad shape F/R, respectively.

You are correct these pads are somewhat pricey... but damn are they worth every penny. Good bite out of the gate (or garage), even when dead cold, unbelievably good performance under repeated triple digit-0 stops, equally impressive under hard twisty performance driving, never seem to fade, quiet as a church mouse and very low dust.

I would purchase these pads again without hesitation.

Last edited by SoCalISF; 03-29-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 07:55 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
Ken,

The pads Matt recommended may very well be the Endless MX72 compound, RC112 and RC119 pad shape F/R, respectively.

You are correct these pads are somewhat pricey... but damn are they worth every penny. Good bite out of the gate (or garage), even when dead cold, unbelievably good performance under repeated triple digit-0 stops, equally impressive under hard twisty performance driving, never seem to fade, quiet as a church mouse and very low dust.

I would purchase these pads again without hesitation.
SoCal,

Thanks for this. I checked my old PMs (just deleted most them, but fortunately kept the ones from Matt) and you are correct. Matt highly recommends the Endless MX72s and a new pad by Project Mu he feels may be the best yet for our cars. It's called the Project Mu HC+800. They are also quite pricey but, suffice it to say, when I have to replace my OEM pads, it will be with either the MX72s or the HC+800s.
Old 03-30-16, 04:44 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have ancient HPS pads on my Supra. They suck compared to the Project Mu HC+800 I have on my F. I drove the cars back to back today, and I am ready to buy the Project Mu HC+800.for the Supra if they are available. As Matt said, the balance between throttle and brake is a whole lot closer with the HC+800. I was really disappointed with the Hawk offering after experiencing the Project Mu offeringl
Now that you've had the HC+800s for awhile, can you comment on their demeanor for day-to-day street use (in particular noise & dust)?

I currently run the NS400 for street and had intended to swap pads for track days.. However, I just bought a set of the HC+800 for the track and I'll gladly give up the hassle of swapping if they're a nice combination of track performance + livability on the street.

Come to think of it, I should probably just put 'em on now & see how they do for the next 3 weeks before my track day, but I like to hear other opinions too. Thanks.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the EBC brake pads?