IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking at an ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 11:45 AM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at an ISF

So I found an ISF with 70k miles locally, something that never happens with IS-F's or 350's, had to get my 350 out of Santa Maria. Anyway, car was great, clean all the way around, didn't see anything out of the ordinary, BUT when listening to the engine I heard what can only be described as a "rod knock" sound...now I realize that it might not actually be rod knock but boy does it ever sound like it. Seems just a little bit intermittent, in that it waxes and wanes in intensity, though I pretty much alway hear it. The owner, a really great guy to talk to btw, had the entire engine looked at by a Lexus dealer. Showed me the paperwork, it showed the breakdown for all cylinders tested, they noted, "no wear" for all cylinders save for cylinder 8, which was listed as "normal wear". Also, they apparently disconnected the affected cylinder's ignition wire and the noise ceased, so it appears localized to one cylinder.

Now, any rod knock puts this car out of the running for me, I refuse to spend almost 30k for something with rod knock, especially when my IS350 has even less miles and no problems whatsoever. I had read/heard that there was something up with the ISF, as well as other engine models made in 2008, which had defective valve springs which may cause a similar sound to rod knock. Is this true, or should I steer clear of the car?

Last edited by soloist3; 03-16-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 11:49 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure if it's a rod knock. These cars have that normal engine ticking sound. Rod knocks can usually be easily heard noise wise
Old 03-16-16, 11:49 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

FWIW - many people are dealing with a ticking noise at idle, that is pretty common with no known bad side effects. Not sure if what you are describing is the same thing..
Old 03-16-16, 12:07 PM
soloist3
Driver

I own an IS350 and am used to sound of the D4S system. This sounds different, again if I didn't have prior knowledge of the "ticking sound defect" I would have guessed rod knock no question. Though I didn't rev it much to see if the ticking followed the engine RPM's like normal rod knock would...I mean, IIRC, it knocked while giving it a little gas, but I am not sure if I raised the RPM's high enough to get outside the range of the "normal ticking" sound. I should have made a recording For me this car would represent the most I have ever spent on a vehicle...its a lot of cash, and yes I mean cash, as the only thing I am willing to go into debt for is a home and college, I don't want to make the wrong move. Anyone have any clips of the sound?
Old 03-16-16, 12:27 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

More info on the ISF ticking issues:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ound-help.html

If the noise is more than that, I would pass on the F. Take your time and find the right one..
Old 03-16-16, 01:13 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This is not entirely unheard of.

CL member "zensation" has a thread in the "Build Threads" subforum titled "Geoff's swap thread" about an issue he had with the #1 & #2 rod bearings. His motor seized without any rod knock, but I know from recent experience with a 22R that sometimes the vehicle can actually run with a failing rod bearing.

I'd steer clear of that local 70k mi. F.

Last edited by tas02; 03-16-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 01:39 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that cold start is very noisy. I have the same issue at ideal where it sounds like a knock but isnt. I have a master tech as a friend and has worked on my car many of times. He would have pointed it out.

I feel its just normal with these motors, but if your super worried just check oil levels and run the car hard before purchasing. Also always have someone rev engine and you stand in back to make sure there is no smoke.

70k is not a lot of miles for these cars, especially when they are super reliable.
Old 03-16-16, 04:54 PM
soloist3
Driver

He had to drive it 20 mins to meet up, I drove it for another 15mins, it was not even close to a cold engine, also, I am very aware that an engine can run with a spun rod bearing (I helped a friend rebuild a Civic Del Sol that spun a bearing).

Thanks for the link to the other thread, I tried to watch the videos, unfortunately they are all "private", youtube won't let me watch any of them
Old 03-16-16, 07:54 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

That noise if its the same one your referring to is normal and I've seen almost every isf have it, its normal actually. Dont buy the car if it scares you but know that whatever isf you buy that noise will be evident one day, it doesnt occur all the time, but happens on occassion to most isf owners. And I have yet to see one person complaining on that noise and having a motor fail of them after the noise.
Old 03-16-16, 10:31 PM
soloist3
Driver

Originally Posted by k20trick
That noise if its the same one your referring to is normal and I've seen almost every isf have it, its normal actually. Dont buy the car if it scares you but know that whatever isf you buy that noise will be evident one day, it doesnt occur all the time, but happens on occassion to most isf owners. And I have yet to see one person complaining on that noise and having a motor fail of them after the noise.
This was exactly what I needed to hear Also, I did manage to find a non-private video in there; it is exactly the same noise heard here