IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New to the forum and new to Lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 04:04 AM
Serf27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and new to Lexus.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Serafin, also go by Serf, posting from southern Ca.
I've been looking into the IS F models, so thought this was the apporpriate place to post, if not sorry.

I have been looking for a newer luxury car built with speed. Lately I've been looking into BMWs(08 550i), but have read about reliability issues and Lexus seems the way to go!

So it comes down to the IS F years. Seems like 2011+ is the way to go with the upgrades it had..?
08/09 models seems more within the price range though.
I still have a few more months to decide but thought I would get a head start on learning more about the IS F models.
Any year regardless will be a huge hp increase from my old 07 350z I had, can't imagine how much more I will love the Lexus because of the extra power.

Last edited by Serf27; 03-13-16 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-13-16, 08:08 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Good luck with your search there have been may members on here within the last couple months that have just gotten their F with some pretty cool stories.

Post up any further questions and some people can chime in to help you
Old 03-13-16, 09:01 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd stay away from a used BMW, but it seems like you already figured that out.
Old 03-13-16, 12:57 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome aboard. There's lots of info, advice & opinions here.

Good luck with your search.

Dennis
Old 03-13-16, 02:46 PM
Serf27
Driver School Candidate

Thanks MileHIF car, I've seen some of the threads of members finally getting their IS F. Must be nice driving it off the lot!

2URGSE, any BMWs I have seen don't have much of a power difference for the 350z I had. If i were to spend that much more on car than a 350 for little power increase it wouldn't make sense, that and reliability.

Thansk tas02! I have been looking at online websites, but seems like I only find 2-3 IS F near me, then I
Have to start looking nationwide.

One question for now, I was told the IS F came with a navi option upgrade, and if I were to get one it should be one with the navi upgrade, due to many other upgrades that came with the navi.
How can I tell if the IS F has the navi upgrade package?
Thanks.

Last edited by Serf27; 03-13-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 03:14 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Serf27

One question for now, I was told the IS F came with a navi option upgrade, and if I were to get one it should be one with the navi upgrade, due to many other upgrades that came with the navi.
How can I tell if the IS F has the navi upgrade package?
Thanks.
The first few years (don't quote me) had a NAV option, very few ISF's came without NAV.

Either 2010 or 2011, all of them started to ship with NAV.

It is worth to mention that 2011 got the revised suspension, that has been revised again in 2012 and 2013. Some say it was revised again in 2014, but I don't have such proof of that. Torsen LSD was added in 2010, I forgot what year introduced the electric power steering.

Brakes, engines and transmission remained the same all through 6 years of production. Wheels got a little wider in 2012 if I'm not mistaken again.

I really like the 2012 through 2014, but that's just my personal preference since I own a 2013.

The only "upgrades" I recall are the headlight washers, parking sensors and radar guided cruise control. The last one might be worth it, but not a show stopper IMO.

The only rival to this car would be a C63 AMG or an M3 E90 or F80. Any of these cars purchased without warranty is a gamble, they are just not as reliable. If it was me, the AMG would be next after the ISF. I've driven it and it has a monster engine. If you find one with a P31 package, you get 481 horsepower, revised internals, red brake calipers and a carbon fiber rear deck. (among other things)

Checkout AutoTrader, there are plenty of 2012's and 2013's popping up in the mid 40's, some with very low miles.

Performance wise, this car destroys anything in the 300 horsepower range (as long as it doesn't weigh 2700 lbs....LOL), 335i's are always on the menu. (as long as they are not heavily moded)

I've witnessed a race between a 2012 ISF and a 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed (with Borla exhaust), the Mustang jumped the gun and still got smoked after 125 MPH........and the new Mustangs have 435 bhp. He tried it again from a dead stop and got smoked again. The ISF even had a passenger with him, LOL. Technology wise, the ISF delivers more.

Post more questions if you have any.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 03-13-16 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 07:30 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Can't say it any better than the above post!
:-)

V.
Old 03-14-16, 02:33 AM
Serf27
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great info 2URGSE.
Good to know the drive train remained the same through all 6 years.
Did any part or the drivetrain change besides the diff? Was one year the one to stay away from?
I know the earlier 350z had oil burning issues. Although the same drive train, earlier years tended to burn more oil than the newer models.

I like that the IS F was made to be side by side with the M3/C63!
I'll check on auto trader, thanks.
Did the body of the car get any revisions through the 6 years?
Yea I'm hoping to be ahead of anyone with a car with less power than the IS F! You're saying if a 300hp car weighing less than 2700lbs would win in a straight against the IF S yes?

Lastly, the IS F taking the mustang after 125 mph! That is crazy fast, how did the race look before 125 mph? Lol

i think I'm going to test drive some this week.

Just browsed on Auto Trader, looks like the ones I can afford are the 08/09. Staying in the $25k

Last edited by Serf27; 03-14-16 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 09:23 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Serf27
Thanks for all the great info 2URGSE.
Good to know the drive train remained the same through all 6 years.
Did any part or the drivetrain change besides the diff? Was one year the one to stay away from?
I know the earlier 350z had oil burning issues. Although the same drive train, earlier years tended to burn more oil than the newer models.

I like that the IS F was made to be side by side with the M3/C63!
I'll check on auto trader, thanks.
Did the body of the car get any revisions through the 6 years?
Yea I'm hoping to be ahead of anyone with a car with less power than the IS F! You're saying if a 300hp car weighing less than 2700lbs would win in a straight against the IF S yes?

Lastly, the IS F taking the mustang after 125 mph! That is crazy fast, how did the race look before 125 mph? Lol

i think I'm going to test drive some this week.

Just browsed on Auto Trader, looks like the ones I can afford are the 08/09. Staying in the $25k
I was in the same boat as you I just purchased an 08 from a forum member for around the 25K range also it was a great decision for me cause I can drive the crap out of it and not worry about putting on miles or loosing much resale value, the motor sounds so good in this car I promise it will put a smile on your face. Also with the option of the less expensive Xforce exhaust you can get the V8 rumble for a nice price.
Old 03-14-16, 02:25 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the F club!
Old 03-14-16, 02:32 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Everyone is stated above.. Get the car, welcome, and happy modding!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-14-16, 04:08 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
The first few years (don't quote me) had a NAV option, very few ISF's came without NAV.

Either 2010 or 2011, all of them started to ship with NAV.

It is worth to mention that 2011 got the revised suspension, that has been revised again in 2012 and 2013. Some say it was revised again in 2014, but I don't have such proof of that. Torsen LSD was added in 2010, I forgot what year introduced the electric power steering.

Brakes, engines and transmission remained the same all through 6 years of production. Wheels got a little wider in 2012 if I'm not mistaken again.

I really like the 2012 through 2014, but that's just my personal preference since I own a 2013.

The only "upgrades" I recall are the headlight washers, parking sensors and radar guided cruise control. The last one might be worth it, but not a show stopper IMO.

The only rival to this car would be a C63 AMG or an M3 E90 or F80. Any of these cars purchased without warranty is a gamble, they are just not as reliable. If it was me, the AMG would be next after the ISF. I've driven it and it has a monster engine. If you find one with a P31 package, you get 481 horsepower, revised internals, red brake calipers and a carbon fiber rear deck. (among other things)

Checkout AutoTrader, there are plenty of 2012's and 2013's popping up in the mid 40's, some with very low miles.

Performance wise, this car destroys anything in the 300 horsepower range (as long as it doesn't weigh 2700 lbs....LOL), 335i's are always on the menu. (as long as they are not heavily moded)

I've witnessed a race between a 2012 ISF and a 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed (with Borla exhaust), the Mustang jumped the gun and still got smoked after 125 MPH........and the new Mustangs have 435 bhp. He tried it again from a dead stop and got smoked again. The ISF even had a passenger with him, LOL. Technology wise, the ISF delivers more.

Post more questions if you have any.
I think I saw a 2010 on Autotrader w/o NAV. I thought all IS F'S came with electronic steering. I know my 07 GS350 does. is there a regular Rack & Pinion? I haven't even looked under the car yet-

funny about the mustang story. I went to the Ford dealer Saturday to pick up a part for my truck, I parked over by where the GT Shelby 350 was displayed, I went to look at it again and it seemed huge compared to the F. however, I wouldn't mind driving that new Voodoo 5.2 engine, things a beast.
Old 03-14-16, 06:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

welcome to the family. Cool thing is these cars are built like tanks. Just try to get the newest one you can afford ideally, especially if you want to hit the track . Prices are pretty sweet right now.
Old 03-16-16, 03:04 PM
Serf27
Driver School Candidate

I work at a dealership as head body man/painter.
Brought it up to my boss I'm looking to buy one and asked him to keep his eyes open for any.
Told him any 08+ one. '11 preferred but not needed.
Hopefully he comes across one soon! Can't wait.
Old 03-16-16, 03:44 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Welcome to the board on endless discussion and great information.

Like you have found out stay away from Beemers. Yes you can mod the shiz out of them buyt after 60k they are worthless. Plus everyone in their momma has one. Get and F and you rarely will see them.

if 2008-09 is better in price range for you then get one. You can change the diff out later.

These cars are luxury with reliability and HP. If you want to heavy mod like supercharge or turbo. Go the BMW or AMG route.

Also look on the classifieds section here. Few F's for sale now. Remember take your time, be patient and you may have to fly or drive to pick up. Trust me it will be worth it.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and new to Lexus.