IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ceramic coating for PPE SS headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 03:56 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Ceramic coating for PPE SS headers worth it?

Is it worth getting these ceramic coated for hp and reduced engine temps? If so, what coating color is best?
Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coating for PPE SS headers worth it?-image-1488964734.jpg  
Old 02-29-16, 04:36 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Most popular color that people get them coated is black, like how PPE offers them. Also, Rafi from RR-Racing advised using thermal tape to keep the heat down. Hopefully, he can chime in on the specifics.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
TurboGti (05-08-19)
Old 02-29-16, 04:39 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought the coating was to keep the mild steel for rusting. iim not a engineer but why would heat after the engine affect performance? I was told by old tuners that as long as the parts are true SS,. t304 it doesnt need to be coated.
Old 02-29-16, 05:04 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by allst4risf
i thought the coating was to keep the mild steel for rusting. iim not a engineer but why would heat after the engine affect performance? I was told by old tuners that as long as the parts are true SS,. t304 it doesnt need to be coated.
It helps keep underhood temps down since SS gets really hot. SS won't rust but having the headers ceramic coated inside and out will help exhaust gases flow out faster which will improve hp (probably not that much) but it does
Old 02-29-16, 08:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

The stock exhaust manifolds use a heat shield to reduce the heat that radiates up to the rest of the engine compartment. IMO, headers should be ceramic coated or wrapped to keep down the radiated heat. Color really doesn't matter, except when a company (like Jethot) uses it as a differentiator for different grades of coating.

Lou
Old 03-01-16, 12:34 AM
CCPcoating
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits of ceramic coating stainless steel headers

Originally Posted by allst4risf
Under "perfect" circumstances you could keep all the combustion heat trapped in the cylinder not permeating through the block, head or piston. Post combustion this heat would then exit through the exhaust being contained within the pipes and exiting the tailpipe. At the stage of the exhaust exiting the head and entering the header / exhaust manifold, hotter / faster air exiting the head will assist in drawing fresh air into the cylinder, hence improving scavenging.

Additionally, reducing any radiated heat, especially on SS parts in the engine bay will benefit intake air temps among others. Then ultimately, for purely aesthetic reasons, ceramic coating the headers will keep them looking good for years to come.
Old 03-01-16, 12:44 AM
CCPcoating
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Is it worth getting these ceramic coated for hp and reduced engine temps? If so, what coating color is best?

There isn't necessarily a better or best color for reducing temps, though different color / types of ceramic coatings offer higher operating temperatures. On the lower end of the spectrum traditional polished ceramic coating is good for 1000F -1100F metal temp which equates to about 1200F - 1500F EGT. This coating is VERY susceptible to temp extremes caused by too rich or too lean fuel conditions or timing issues. Therefore, polished ceramics are NOT to be used in turbo or supercharged applications in most situations.

On the other end of the coating spectrum are high temp ceramic coatings. These are usually good for temps in the 1700F - 2000F+ range and are unaffected by temp or tuning extremes. Colors are varied in the silver, black, gold, etc, ranges.
Old 03-01-16, 10:20 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCPcoating
There isn't necessarily a better or best color for reducing temps, though different color / types of ceramic coatings offer higher operating temperatures. On the lower end of the spectrum traditional polished ceramic coating is good for 1000F -1100F metal temp which equates to about 1200F - 1500F EGT. This coating is VERY susceptible to temp extremes caused by too rich or too lean fuel conditions or timing issues. Therefore, polished ceramics are NOT to be used in turbo or supercharged applications in most situations. On the other end of the coating spectrum are high temp ceramic coatings. These are usually good for temps in the 1700F - 2000F+ range and are unaffected by temp or tuning extremes. Colors are varied in the silver, black, gold, etc, ranges.
Cool thanks, ill probably go black
Old 03-02-16, 07:57 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Did you have PPE do the coating? They're coating (ceramic) seemed to be of high quality on my steel ones.
Old 03-02-16, 08:06 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k20trick
Did you have PPE do the coating? They're coating (ceramic) seemed to be of high quality on my steel ones.
I think it was an option for $300 extra. I went with titanium and copper ceramic coating good to 2200F for cheaper
Old 05-08-19, 09:21 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

So would it be agrees that ceramic coating means i dont need Thermal tape/ wrapping the headers?

or should i wrap to help keep temps further down even if ceramic coating?

i know its advised to wrap the starter which i will end up doing either way. but just want some clarity before i order both ceramic coating and thermal wrap from RR-Racing.
Old 05-08-19, 11:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^To answer your question, yes - one or the other. Don't need both. I prefer a good Thermal coating.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
TurboGti (05-08-19)
Old 05-08-19, 03:13 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I ordered my ss ppe headers coated. Color didn't matter, you can't see 'em unless you get under the car.

Don't wrap them.
Old 05-08-19, 04:17 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

This is worth a read as SS only needs to contain 10.5% Chromium to qualify as SS and that leaves the other 89.5% iron/carbon mix which will corrode if salt is present and as we all know it will also rust too as it is mostly iron.

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blo...ainless-steel/

That said for all but Arizona, if it's a DD and rain driven, where a wrap gets damp, 304 SS can rust out. I would advise against a wrap if you want them to last.

That said, would I wrap up in the engine bay? Yes. Under the car. NO!

Last edited by 2013FSport; 05-08-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 05:11 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^To answer your question, yes - one or the other. Don't need both. I prefer a good Thermal coating.

Lou

following your advice after some local sourcing. getting em locally done, with copper inside as well for a good price. I pulled the trigger on the power upgrade option by RR-Racing.

the waiting begins.

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating for PPE SS headers worth it?