IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F passenger side A pillar wind noise SOLVED !! And its not the glass or mirror !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 03:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default IS-F passenger side A pillar wind noise SOLVED !! And its not the glass or mirror !!

Hey guys. I had some wind noise show up a few months ago. I had my moulding replaced, then took it to the dealership. They said there was a bead leak so I had my glass replaced. After that all was well for a few weeks and then it came back. WTF !! I was kind of frustrated and pissed at all of the leg work I had to do . As I was driving I randomly decided to change the ventilation to fresh rather than circulate and BOOOOM !!! THE NOISE TOTALLY STOPPED !!!

Now to make sure that it was the source I thought I would need to switch it back and fourth to see if I can recreate the noise. and IT DID. As soon as you hit the circulate buttom the whistling comes back.

SO it looks like some of us have an issues with the valve that opens and closes the vent inside the dash. THAT IS WHERE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM!!

And this is why replacing the mirror and glass did nothing.

Try it !! You can thank me later

That whistling noise is so damn annoying . At least there is a way we can stop it even if Lexus will not a damn thing to fix

THIS ISSUES IS RAMPANT ON THE 2IS. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD.
Old 02-29-16, 05:21 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember having this same issue on my 2010. Never could get it resolved and the dealer said it was "normal". Thanks for the info!
Old 02-29-16, 05:36 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome that you figured it out! Little issues like that can drive a person mad.. but you already know that .
Old 02-29-16, 06:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I was messing with it on the way home. You can start and stop it simply by shifting the AC from recycle to refresh and back again.

What makes it all obvious is that when the dealership tested the car they used a device with headphones and a mic and they said it was coming from the base of the glass but that it was a bead leak. Morons !! The bas of the windshield has the huge black plastic cowling piece at the base. How the F$&^ could there be wind noise coming from there when its covered and sees no real air flow.

this post is going to save some people a whole lotta stress and money in many cases.
Old 02-29-16, 07:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Mine does not do this at all. Mine switches between fresh and recirc all the time, and I hardly ever play music in the car, so I am pretty keen on the sounds it makes. I've found wiping the rubber seals with 3M dry type silicone spray kills the vast majority of noises instantly. That includes the door seals and sunroof seals.

http://www.hillas.com/Categories/Mec...-per-case.html

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-29-16 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 07:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, Lobux but they did that and a whole lot more to no avail. I can make it start and stop by simply pressing the button. Its 100% related to airflow with the ventilation system. The 2IS has TONS of posts about this whistling. Any ideas? I am assuming something is not sealing completely. I dont know anything about the car beneath the dash but the problem is there.
Old 02-29-16, 07:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks, Lobux but they did that and a whole lot more to no avail. I can make it start and stop by simply pressing the button. Its 100% related to airflow with the ventilation system. The 2IS has TONS of posts about this whistling. Any ideas? I am assuming something is not sealing completely. I dont know anything about the car beneath the dash but the problem is there.
Probably the seal on the door that determines fresh vs. recirc. If you have ever changed the filter on the HVAC system, you know what I am talking about. It's not a part you can buy, you have to replace the main unit for about $1k in parts and $1500 in labor. It is easy to break this door if you do not know what you are doing, AMHIK.
Old 02-29-16, 07:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks you kindly Lobux. I knew you would know. Your technical knowledge is truly impressive. You should change your name to Lobux Racer/Dr. F.

I will mention it to the dealer at the next oil change ( soon ) but with my extended warranty they seem to only want to fix broken stuff. If it's operational they don't seem to do anything . The unsteady idle with the AC on they wont fix because the AC works, belt slip noise is normal , and the whistling I have a feeling Im on my own. I just dont like to leave the system on "fresh". I can smell the exhaust of other cars and it does dry the eyes out . I can live with it. Im actually elated that I can simply turn it off. In the end this is no LS460. Its a base car with a huge motor but I still love her. The longer I own the car it;s obvious that the LS is simply in another league when it comes to attention to detail and quality materials . It is what it is, but thats why I see a GSF in my future. Im too damn tall for the ISF but I was so in love I shoe horned by big *** onto the car. lol

F!!!!

Thanks again buddy !
Old 03-01-16, 04:26 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could tell you my experience with this ...

I tried using "other brands" of the cabin air filter - I received the whistling noise dependent on the position I selected.

I changed back to an oem cabin air filter and whistling was gone. It is easy to tell if it is the cabin filter by opening up your glove box - the whistling will be much louder.
Better yet, if you took off the black flap inside the glovebox and turn the cirulation on/off you will see the "accordion" shutter open and close.

If it sounds like an air leak above check the A piller mouldings - mine was all cracked - I changed these and that sound was gone. This whistle only was apparent in < -10 degree weather.

I was using the 3M dry tape for a while - every so often you have to respray the areas which realistically isn't a pain.
Started to use the Honda Shin-Etsu grease - tube lasts forever and seems to have worked better than the 3M dry tape spray.

Now my only sound I have not tackled yet is a Bird Chirp sound coming from inside / under the glovebox. Did some reading on this and found a post where it was the electronic module box brackets. Another post said it was the hinge ...
Old 03-01-16, 07:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by clarionguy
I could tell you my experience with this ...

I tried using "other brands" of the cabin air filter - I received the whistling noise dependent on the position I selected.

I changed back to an oem cabin air filter and whistling was gone. It is easy to tell if it is the cabin filter by opening up your glove box - the whistling will be much louder.
Better yet, if you took off the black flap inside the glovebox and turn the cirulation on/off you will see the "accordion" shutter open and close.

If it sounds like an air leak above check the A piller mouldings - mine was all cracked - I changed these and that sound was gone. This whistle only was apparent in < -10 degree weather.

I was using the 3M dry tape for a while - every so often you have to respray the areas which realistically isn't a pain.
Started to use the Honda Shin-Etsu grease - tube lasts forever and seems to have worked better than the 3M dry tape spray.

Now my only sound I have not tackled yet is a Bird Chirp sound coming from inside / under the glovebox. Did some reading on this and found a post where it was the electronic module box brackets. Another post said it was the hinge ...
Thanks so much for this reply buddy !. Very cool . I am getting the F serviced in the next week or 2 because I have 3-4 track days in the next 6 weeks. I will need the 45k service and I think the will replace the AC filter. I will bring this to their attention. Thanks again, I really appreciate this.
Old 03-01-16, 09:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

FWIW, I am running a Purolator cabin air filter now. I have not had a Lexus filter in it for the last 4 years.
Old 03-01-16, 10:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I only have Lexus do the filter changes so I still think ts the internal until doing it but I will make them make sure all is seated correctly. My extended warranty through Lexus has done jack squat. They dont want to fix anything unless it breaks. The belt slip noise is normal, the rpm jump while idling with the AC on is ok since the AC works, and this I know they will ignore.