IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs Track Prepped Porsche Cayman and new 911 at AZ's Wild Horse Pass East Track !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 06:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default IS-F vs Track Prepped Porsche Cayman and new 911 at AZ's Wild Horse Pass East Track !

Hey guys. Had to scratch the itch and was finally able to get my F out to the track. Last tack day was mid November and I have been Jonesing BIG TIME !! Today marks my 12th track day with my IS-F in 23 months !!!:. Pretty proud of my driving and am getting better little by little.

Had the car out to Wild Horse Pass East Track today and had an amazing time. The weather was great and the cars at the event even better ( multiple 911 GT3s, AMG GTs, Z28s, McLaren 12C, and the usual mustangs, Vette's , Mazdas, and bimmers, etc. Had a solid run with a an Audi race car and 2 Porsches ( Cayman that was track prepped and a new 911 with track wheels and tires ). It was AWESOME !!! The Cayman was faster than the 911 believe it or not. Was able to keep them both behind me for a little but as they approached I let them by. The Cayman's speed was amazing and the 911 was not that much faster than the F, and the Audi was crazy fast ( and looked like a DTM car from the UK). Both drivers were not new to the track , we will say. That just made running with these guys that much sweeter. It really pushes you when you get to run with cars that are faster and more nimble. I ended up going into a chicane too hot and the TCS saved my *** ( also didn't press paddles hard enough and hit the limiter at one point then double clicked the right paddle and then dropped rpm to low exiting a corner ), but all in all the car stuck like glue. These AD08Rs are no IS_Fing jokeDropped a new fresh set of rears 2 weeks ago to prep for today.

Only bit of drama I had was the 911 or the Audi kicked up some rocks while I was following them at high speed and one of the rocks ended up chipping my windshield and producing a nickel sized star in my glass. No bueno......I had 2 options. #1 continue on and let the spidering and high 80s temps spread the crack and just replace the windshield 1 month after having it replaced with oem glass, or #2 leave early and get the glass repaired at Safelite the same day. I ended up calling Safelite from the track and scheduling the repair track side . LOL It was so loud I had to step into a porta-pody for the lady to be able to hear me. The car was repaired less than 1 hour after coming the track. Brought her home and proceeded to try to pamper, polish, wipe down, and erase any signs of the track battle at AZ's dustiest track BY FAR!

Please excuse any cursing and/or silly outbursts and woohoos . I was amped and also 4 cups of coffee deep. LOL

I hope you guys enjoy!!

VIDEO 1: F vs Track prepped Porsche Cayman ( 3:15 is where I let him pass. We did the pass and switch seamlessly. Reminded me of the GT racing I see on track)

VIDEO 2: F vs new Porsche 911

Attached Thumbnails IS-F vs Track Prepped Porsche Cayman and new 911 at AZ's Wild Horse Pass East Track !-4qx22in7bqtgxmzkf-fspynaddjrlxjraas0tzijqn8-uebdswbmwzsst3l1gdiwvjvvz4p3mg64xuaqqtvbdg8-coppizii.jpg   IS-F vs Track Prepped Porsche Cayman and new 911 at AZ's Wild Horse Pass East Track !-tumblr_ng43mzjutb1rlapp6o1_1280.jpg   IS-F vs Track Prepped Porsche Cayman and new 911 at AZ's Wild Horse Pass East Track !-ephsvut.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-20-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-20-16, 08:11 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Once again great job, are you planning on getting RR Racing tune? if so cant wait to see on track with tune
Old 02-20-16, 08:46 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice one tammer, damn i love that Cayman. I'm waiting for April to hit the BIG WILLOW...fastest track on the west!!!
Old 02-20-16, 09:08 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Great videos!

Now you've got me all amped up for my first track day of 2016..

-Mike
Old 02-20-16, 11:06 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
Nice one tammer, damn i love that Cayman. I'm waiting for April to hit the BIG WILLOW...fastest track on the west!!!
Let me know I love right up the street from willow springs I would love to track my F
Old 02-21-16, 07:45 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome driving as usual. When you are going through the chicane. What gear are you in? I heard you downshift to a lower gear to go through that section. I bet you could carry more speed through there going in a higher gear. When you shift to lower gears most of the time your torque jumps up a lot and any throttle input that is not smooth could upset the balance of the chassis. Let your horse power take you through that corner. You'll find the car more stable.
Old 02-21-16, 08:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Once again great job, are you planning on getting RR Racing tune? if so cant wait to see on track with tune
Haven't decided yet. I am debating on different mods right now

That Cayman was CRAZY fast and the driver was solid too. Absolutely was not stock. It didnt even have door panels or interior. Kind of a pricey car to make a race car.

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Great videos!

Now you've got me all amped up for my first track day of 2016..

-Mike
Right on , Mike !! Cant wait to see the videos!!
Originally Posted by socal3
Let me know I love right up the street from willow springs I would love to track my F

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Awesome driving as usual. When you are going through the chicane. What gear are you in? I heard you downshift to a lower gear to go through that section. I bet you could carry more speed through there going in a higher gear. When you shift to lower gears most of the time your torque jumps up a lot and any throttle input that is not smooth could upset the balance of the chassis. Let your horse power take you through that corner. You'll find the car more stable.
Thanks for the tip buddy ! I was trying whatever I could to get out of the corner with more speed. I tried 2nd and 3rd gear exiting the turn . You are absolutely right on the stability. I was looking for any extra grunt I could get. I love that Chicane. I tried 2nd, then third, and finally just carrying too much speed into the damn entry and then loose traction on exit.

Super excited for the track season . We have a ton of days open out here this time of the year and I think I am going to avoid the Summer sessions. I have had my oil temp light come on each Summer and I dont want any issues. I need to decide if I am going to make the trek to Chuckwalla. Its 3 hours away and I have to stay in a hotel and then drive 50-70 miles to the track the morning of AND then drive 3 hours home.
Old 02-21-16, 08:23 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^^^few more hours of driving then ull be at big willow...lol...the only I don't like about going to willow springs is very dusty and windy, rocky chips is crazy!!!! btw, just use safelite for the windshield..that should hold up pretty good....
Old 02-21-16, 08:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^^few more hours of driving then ull be at big willow...lol...the only I don't like about going to willow springs is very dusty and windy, rocky chips is crazy!!!! btw, just use safelite for the windshield..that should hold up pretty good....
Yeah , man The one I was at yesterday was the WORST of all the track I have been on for rock damage. You can actually hear me in the video say " oh shi%". The desert tracks are notorious for them. I usually avoid running in the first group because they are literally moving through a cloud of dust. And all it takes is one dude to go off and cover the surface of the road in rocks. A neon SRT4 went off yesterday and they had half a dozen guys on the track with brooms to clean it up but there were still rocks everywhere.

I took it to SAfelite and the tech was in love with the car. He repaired it 3 times and made so small that it looks like just a point of damage. When I got there it was the size of a quarter . Pretty damn impressive. I didnt even call GEICO. Just $99 and I was out the door in 35 minutes. They even gave a free can of glass cleaner
Old 02-21-16, 11:49 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Super excited for the track season . We have a ton of days open out here this time of the year and I think I am going to avoid the Summer sessions. I have had my oil temp light come on each Summer and I dont want any issues.
No need to skip the summer sessions

-Mike

Old 02-21-16, 01:19 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Two thumbs up!!! Tammer!!!👍👍 very awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-22-16, 04:45 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Haven't decided yet. I am debating on different mods right now

That Cayman was CRAZY fast and the driver was solid too. Absolutely was not stock. It didnt even have door panels or interior. Kind of a pricey car to make a race car.

Right on , Mike !! Cant wait to see the videos!!

Thanks for the tip buddy ! I was trying whatever I could to get out of the corner with more speed. I tried 2nd and 3rd gear exiting the turn . You are absolutely right on the stability. I was looking for any extra grunt I could get. I love that Chicane. I tried 2nd, then third, and finally just carrying too much speed into the damn entry and then loose traction on exit.

Super excited for the track season . We have a ton of days open out here this time of the year and I think I am going to avoid the Summer sessions. I have had my oil temp light come on each Summer and I dont want any issues. I need to decide if I am going to make the trek to Chuckwalla. Its 3 hours away and I have to stay in a hotel and then drive 50-70 miles to the track the morning of AND then drive 3 hours home.

You're welcome! I bet you can carry 4th through there with a lot more speed. I recommend getting one of these.

http://aimsports.com/products/solo/

I have one of these in my race car and I can data log against the tracks I race on. It's very helpful in determining your braking and accelerating habits. Make sure you get the DL version as it could be compatible with the F. We can analyze the data together. Kind of driver coaching online. Oh and you should start to think about Time Trials with NASA Arizona. They go to all the tracks you go to. And remember Iron Sharpens iron. You'll get faster in this environment.

Old 02-22-16, 07:23 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That was a blast to watch, Cayman seemed to be running R-comps. I'm missing my F but I will bid the time getting my race car out of storage this weekend. I love running in advanced group when you can pass in turns, that's where the fun is at. Three wide in a actual race, that can really get the neck veins pumping.
Old 02-22-16, 08:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
You're welcome! I bet you can carry 4th through there with a lot more speed. I recommend getting one of these.

http://aimsports.com/products/solo/

I have one of these in my race car and I can data log against the tracks I race on. It's very helpful in determining your braking and accelerating habits. Make sure you get the DL version as it could be compatible with the F. We can analyze the data together. Kind of driver coaching online. Oh and you should start to think about Time Trials with NASA Arizona. They go to all the tracks you go to. And remember Iron Sharpens iron. You'll get faster in this environment.
Thanks for the tips buddy. I know you know what's up being one of our hardcore track veterans. My F is still my daily driver and I am trying to maintain a balance in the car. Stopped running with NASA since they made level 2 guys put X's on our bumpers so the level 3 guys would know who we were AND made us let the level 3 guys pass. It made my blood boil to drive 3 hours to INDE and need to let a civics pass me on a back straight that they literally land planes on just because he had a couple more sessions than me. That was the last time I ran with NASA. They also have 1/3/to 1/2 of the dates that ProAuto does. ProAuto does have TT, TTB, and even open wheel so maybe down the line I will go all out but would rather have a second car to beat down and mod like crazy. Should have gone to medical school rather than Optometry school LOL

Originally Posted by Piston1047
That was a blast to watch, Cayman seemed to be running R-comps. I'm missing my F but I will bid the time getting my race car out of storage this weekend. I love running in advanced group when you can pass in turns, that's where the fun is at. Three wide in a actual race, that can really get the neck veins pumping.
Right on buddy !! Sounds great. you are right that when you run with the advanced group its more thrilling and you learn more when running with cars that are faster and more capable. I thought even though the cayman passed....WHAT A SEAMLESS PASS. LOL It was so cool. I saw him and simply moved over in the hairpin and we did this smooth switch and away we went !! SO COOL !!

I really appreciate the fact that I have cool F owners to share these experiences with. It means a lot.
Old 02-22-16, 02:28 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Sorry you had that experience. You can always email the regional director. And most of the region's are ran differently. Some way better than others. That's good other organizations in the area have what you need.

Quick Reply: IS-F vs Track Prepped Porsche Cayman and new 911 at AZ's Wild Horse Pass East Track !