IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Made History: ISF Transmission blown

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 10:14 PM
UNVMYISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally have a 3rd party warranty on my ISF. Below is what they've covered and the price including labor.
Mark Levinson Sub - $750
Coolant exchange valve - $3350
Water Pump - $700
Both driver side door lock actuators - $900
Mark Levinson Nav Unit - $2000
All replaced with OEM parts and all done at Lexus. Fortunately, I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car. The dealership has told me many times the company I have is the best they've ever seen. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-17-16, 10:20 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNVMYISF
I personally have a 3rd party warranty on my ISF. Below is what they've covered and the price including labor.
Mark Levinson Sub - $750
Water Pump - $700
All replaced with OEM parts and all done at Lexus. Fortunately, I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car. The dealership has told me many times the company I have is the best they've ever seen. Best of luck to you.

Ok so now the suspense of who that company is? Who is it? And what type of mileage do you have and time length? And how many miles and what year car do you have ? Wha happened to good ol Toyota reliability?
Old 02-17-16, 10:40 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Well ISF crew,

It appears I have made history as possibly the third person to have a ISF transmission go (2008, 80k). I'm a engineer so I understand that this might just be a overlooked defect and there is always a percentage of parts that will just not meet the standards but still get by QC but it still makes me salty since I have always preached about the reliability of the ISF and Lexus in general. Now I can only hang my head in shame around my BMW friends

Summary of the issue:
Earlier this week I was pulling into a parking spot, next to a M3 no less, and I go back to up and it feels like I'm the parking brake is on in reverse. The car vibrates and it moves backwards but the whole time is jerking and feels like it's mechanically slipping. I get out of the car and nothing is blocking my way and no fluids are spewing out. I drive forward and everything is normal. So I decide to test it. I have all forward gears and everything is normal, pop it in reverse and the car is vibrating and lurching like a ****box. I take it to Roswell Nalley Lexus near Atlanta (because those guys have a good rep and know our F's). I get a call back the next day and the transmission is the culprit, All fluids where fine (level/color), my guy at the dealer tells me that he has never seen this before and says I just have a fluke transmission. The crazy part is, that of all things to go, it's reverse, so maybe it is just a fluke. The good news is I have a extended warranty that came with the car when I bought it, the bad news is it's a 3rd party warranty, so i'm expecting to get jerked around a bit and they will probably honor my repair with pennies on the dollar. Anyone in the community got a spare transmission they want to unload, worse case? I might need some help here guys.
^^^This is exactly what happened to my car. I had 87k miles on it when it went poop. I have 153k miles on the car now. Eventually, I lost reverse gear all together. I drove it from Sacramento to Socal and made only one stop for fuel. Never used reverse (because it didn't work). Going up the down the 5 freeway into LA, i downshifted a few gears to go up the hill easier, eventually, my transmission stopped shifting into 7th and 8th.

Originally Posted by ISF4life
I remember tommy had over 120k miles before his transmission failed too, since his warranty was over, lexus did paid half of his cost to fixed it. That is wise to replace the transmission fluid every 60k miles even though lexus recommended not too. I talked to several guys that did that here in the forum tough luck to you , hopefully the 3rd party paying for it.
87k miles is when I had the transmission replaced. Lexus paid for half the cost of a remanufactured transmission, which was like $3000 something and then I paid for labor, which was $1000 something.
Old 02-18-16, 12:33 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

akakakakkakakk, tommy boy where have u been lolz, we are doing flat out in a few weeks at Baja mexico if u want to join us lolz
Old 02-18-16, 06:10 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UNVMYISF
Mark Levinson Sub - $750
Water Pump - $700
That does sound like a great 3rd party warranty company. I don't think I have the best based on internet reviews but who knows, the internet is a crazy place. I can tell you one thing they are taking longer than I expected to get back to me. Today is the third day without any resolution and the inspector cam the same day I dropped off the car.

Originally Posted by Just F Me
^^^This is exactly what happened to my car. I had 87k miles on it when it went poop. I have 153k miles on the car now. Eventually, I lost reverse gear all together. I drove it from Sacramento to Socal and made only one stop for fuel. Never used reverse (because it didn't work). Going up the down the 5 freeway into LA, i downshifted a few gears to go up the hill easier, eventually, my transmission stopped shifting into 7th and 8th.

87k miles is when I had the transmission replaced. Lexus paid for half the cost of a remanufactured transmission, which was like $3000 something and then I paid for labor, which was $1000 something.
Did you write a letter to corporate or did the dealer help you with this?

Also since you problem was almost exactly the same I do think this was a manufacturing QC issue with maybe a bad batch of transmissions. I figure if it was a initial design issue we would all be seeing it as the miles climb but clearly there are a good majority of owners here with 100K+ miles.
Old 02-18-16, 09:44 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Man this really is an unfortunate situation. In to see how its handled. Tolerances and metallurgy are the 2 wicked factors in mass production.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-18-16, 10:14 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the dealers getting any better at being able to do a transmission flush on the fluid? Seems like everytime people try at the dealers they tell you it's a non-serviceable item and have no idea how to do it.

People having more luck these days?
Old 02-19-16, 07:00 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Update:

Warranty is covering the repair (parts and labor) !!!!! They gave me two options:

1) A warrantied used transmission with 40K on it (not sure the year, I'm trying to get that info)- I pay ONLY a $100 deductible!

2) A warrantied Lexus refurbished transmission- I pay $2K

Both transmissions are warrantied for another 25K or 2 years through the warranty service contract.

I think I'm going with option 1.

I asked if they would reimburse me if I supply my own transmission and they said no unfortunately.

Thanks guys for all the support through this so far! hopefully the repair goes smoothly. Thanks to all those who where finding sources for a transmission or offering to sell me one. I hope this doesn't happen to any more of us, I already miss my F and I was supposed to send my ECU today

I want to keep the busted trans for investigation purposes but i'm not sure if I need to send back the core, I'm figuring I don't since the transmission seller is not a re-builder. Unless Lexus wants it for investigation purposes.
Old 02-19-16, 07:24 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Update:

Warranty is covering the repair (parts and labor) !!!!! They gave me two options:

1) A warrantied used transmission with 40K on it (not sure the year, I'm trying to get that info)- I pay ONLY a $100 deductible!

Both transmissions are warrantied for another 25K or 2 years through the warranty service contract.

I asked if they would reimburse me if I supply my own transmission and they said no unfortunately.

Thanks guys for all the support through this so far! hopefully the repair goes smoothly. Thanks to all those who where finding sources for a transmission or offering to sell me one. I hope this doesn't happen to any more of us, I already miss my F and I was supposed to send my ECU today

I want to keep the busted trans for investigation purposes but i'm not sure if I need to send back the core, I'm figuring I don't since the transmission seller is not a re-builder. Unless Lexus wants it for investigation purposes.
That's great news! congrats, glad everything worked out.
Old 02-19-16, 09:55 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Great to hear, I'm happy it worked out for you
Old 02-19-16, 10:35 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

happy to hear and option 1 for sure!!!!!
Old 02-19-16, 12:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats a load off. So happy for you bro. That is some drammatic ****.
Old 02-19-16, 12:05 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great news! Keeps that "fun fund" intact. Bring on the boost!
Old 02-19-16, 12:20 PM
jjdurrant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew!!!!!!
Old 02-19-16, 12:32 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice...good to hear that...option 1 for sure...

Quick Reply: Made History: ISF Transmission blown