IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Those with a ECU tune , results please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 02:54 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Thought you were talking about when on the Dyno - Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Lou
No worries. It wasn't very clear 👍
Old 04-02-16, 04:25 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Hey Guys,
I want to jump in here and try to provide some facts and data around the tune. Please note this is still a work in progress for me but I feel it's important to provide some information to the group. I know it is long but please try to read through the whole story before coming to any conclusions about the tune.

The executive summary (IMO) - the tune is real and 20-40hp is not an exaggeration.

My relevant Mods:
Standard RR Intake (not the new tuned version)
PPE Headers
HKS SSM w/ Custom mid-pipe fully decatted
RR AOS
RR Tune (7200)

My baseline dyno was performed on a dyno jet 224x on 2/18. I made 3 runs with the car at operating temps (~190F Coolant, warm transmission, 3bar oil temp, etc...). Hood up with 2 smallish squirrel cage fans running. SAE corrected baseline was 384whp/368tq. They were all within 5 hp of this. Results were a little lower than I hoped for I/H/E but reasonable given we were using SAE correction and not STD. Plus the HKS setup probably doesn't produce the highest HP gains either.

Installed the re-flashed ECU on 2/25/16. Made many 3rd and 4th gear pulls as recommended and the car felt pretty good. I had also started data logging with Dash Command (iPhone). I sent a few logs to Rafi and he immediately noticed that my IATs were going up over 45F during my pulls from ~70F to over 115F during WOT runs. This is not good for several reasons. First, the high intake temps are not as dense resulting in less HP. In addition, the timing maps are dependent on IAT and will retard with high temps. In Rafi's words - double whammy. Sure enough, my MAF readings where much lower than expected. Actually very similar to stock without any mods at all.

After some head scratching I realized I did NOT have the plastic engine shrouds around my engine bay (the passenger side one covers the top of the secondary intake). I had these removed to work on my suspension settings. Long story short - make sure you have these on. They make a huge impact on IATs. Now because I had been running with high IATs my timing correction was not where it needed to be with the tune. Rafi suggested I reset the ECU and restart the learning procedure again. It's fun doing WOT pulls every chance you get

So after a few hundred miles of "re-learning" I went back to the dyno. Blue is baseline and Red is the after pull. Conducted the identical setup of the baseline. Peak gains were +6HP and 5TQ. Pretty disappointing. However, if you look at the at the mid-range you can see more substantial gains. 10-12 HP and 10-15TQ. This is fairly significant area under the curve but I was still disappointed.

During my conversations with Rafi it became evident that there are some critical factors that will determine how much power the F makes. It has 4 knock sensors and is very sensitive to any sign of knock. In order to squeeze out the extra power we need the additional timing. If the knock sensors are sensing activity, the ECU will pull timing to make them happy (which is a good thing for durability).

I went back to my data logs from the dyno to see what was happening. In this chart you can see my timing curve vs timing curve from an ISF without tune (Thanks Juanmedina). Very large mid range timing difference but it drops quickly in the 5-6.5k range and not much better than stock.

After more discussions with Rafi, I decided to borrow Tech Stream (thanks again Juan!) so I could see where my learned knock values were running. I was at 17.8. To get optimum timing results this value needs to be in the 22+ range. My knock sensors were sensing activity but I didn't know why. To rule out any chance of having real knock, I ran about 1/4 tank of 1:1 93 octane mixed with 110. I then made a bunch of WOT runs while monitoring my learned knock feedback value. They immediately started climbing - ultimately getting to 24+. This was great, but I have zero intention of using 110 octane in my DD. So, after running through 1/4 tank of this mixture I went back to regular 93. Surprisingly the values stayed high and have even continued to slowly climb. Evidently I had some crap gas as it's been fine with several fill ups since. To be sure though I am planning to change my plugs and go one step colder (in preparation for boost).

Here are my most recent data logs with improved timing. There are major improvements in timing and MAF flow. We have also seen very similar results from Piston1047 and ZaxF who are just as addicted as I am to data logging now .

Mass Airflow Plots (Lbs/Min) - You can see that my MAF readings have gone up substantially compared to the 390whp dyno run. These are all with very similar atmospheric conditions (~65F). MAF is a great indicator of power.

The data shows great improvements but I have not been able to get back to they dyno due to my work schedule. However, I have started using Virtual Dyno so I want to throw this out there. Note that this software is great for RELATIVE comparisons of your cars performance as long as you use the exact same segment of road to do the runs.

Although I wasn't intentionally logging data to use for VD during this time, I was able to go back and find a data log from a section of road that I could easily replicate. It is a very long flat, straight on ramp. The run from 03-01-16 was after correcting my IAT issue but still had very low timing. Ironically it shows 388whp which is very similar to the 384whp I got on the actual dyno jet. I apologize that the RPM range is so small but it's the best "historical" data log I could find that I could repeat for comparison. Note that these are runs are SAE corrected using weather data from the exact time I made the runs. This software shows a gain of +37whp. TQ is hard to tell because the baseline run started past peak torque.

So in summary - I believe the tune is real. Timing is up 4-5 degrees at peak power. MAF rates are up to where they are expected to be for 420whp ballpark. I can't say enough for Rafi's customer service through all of this. They have answered my countless emails, texts and FB messages quickly. Rafi helped coach me with what to look for and although the results were disappointing initially, I feel very confident that my car is running better than ever. I will try to keep you updated as I hope to hit the real dyno again in the next few weeks.

--Todd
I want to see what my knock value is but having a difficult time locating it in techstream.
Old 04-02-16, 06:44 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
I want to see what my knock value is but having a difficult time locating it in techstream.
Once connected go to Engine ECU. Then Data List (left side menu). Down at the bottom around the middle of the page you can select pre configured data sets from a drop down menu. Look for "Timing Logs". You should see Knock Correct Learning Value in the parameter list now with live data.

I don't have TS in front of me right now so don't quote me but hopefully this points you in the right direction. I'm sure there are other ways to get to it. This is just what I stumbled across.

Also note that there appears to be two different values for KCLV. One below 2900 rpm and one above. The one above 3k is what we are interested in for max power - at least that's what I can infer from my logs.
Old 04-05-16, 10:08 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

WE ARE SCHEDULE FOR TOMORROW 3PM TO RE DYNO AFTER TUNED
Old 04-05-16, 11:26 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ subbed for results
Old 04-05-16, 01:22 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Once connected go to Engine ECU. Then Data List (left side menu). Down at the bottom around the middle of the page you can select pre configured data sets from a drop down menu. Look for "Timing Logs". You should see Knock Correct Learning Value in the parameter list now with live data.

I don't have TS in front of me right now so don't quote me but hopefully this points you in the right direction. I'm sure there are other ways to get to it. This is just what I stumbled across.

Also note that there appears to be two different values for KCLV. One below 2900 rpm and one above. The one above 3k is what we are interested in for max power - at least that's what I can infer from my logs.
My version will not allow me to see the values thanks anyways.
Old 04-05-16, 05:56 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Nice Kody!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-06-16, 07:47 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

finally
Old 04-06-16, 08:31 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Kody, where u guys gonna be at, ill be around OC that time.., i might be able to check you guys out..
Old 04-06-16, 09:42 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

European auto source
4015 e leaverton court
anaheim
Old 04-06-16, 10:01 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Time to pull 400+!
Old 04-06-16, 10:02 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Hopefully none of us will pull less than 300. I need to check my AOS haha
Old 04-06-16, 10:19 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Pls. do make sure Kody's is full, lolz.
Old 04-06-16, 10:39 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Pls. do make sure Kody's is full, lolz.
lol SO mean! But I can already imagine him yelling and messaging for a refund lol. But I don't think he has the AOS. Hopefully I'll make it in time after a meeting.
Old 04-06-16, 10:55 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Ahahahh did more pull 40 to 80 late last nite too and a few this morning lolz its ready

Quick Reply: Those with a ECU tune , results please