IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Those with a ECU tune , results please

Old 03-28-16, 12:51 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I hate to add fuel to the fire but me and DCguy went at it again tonight and we're dead even up to about 120-130ish and I mean nose to nose before we brake
My RR-Racing tune has'nt arrive yet because of some glitch on the portable unit....i'm bothered about these results...i hope they can check to see what's up with the tune...
Old 03-28-16, 12:56 AM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate to add fuel to the fire but me and DCguy went at it again tonight and we're dead even up to about 120-130ish and I mean nose to nose before we brake
Yeah... the only advantage I have on milehifcar is only the start from a 20 or 40 roll race. Generally I get about a 2-5 foot jump and than hold door to door in upwards of 130+ mulitple runs, same result. Guessing its the less restrictive air flow that allows this jump to happen. Never the less, will be ordering in my obd2 plug this week (tried the cracked techstream and obd2 cable but is way to sophisticated of an install) i'll let rafi take a look at what kinds of conditions we are subjected too up here in CO, and hopefully make some advancements for mulitple applications by feedback and data logging.

Last edited by dcguy; 03-28-16 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 01:04 AM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by specie
The trap speeds don't look too great. It seems like those with the tune and mods have similar trap speeds to the people without.
I'd say worse...112mph -113mph? That's like stock.

Like I said before, unless somebody proves me wrong, these tunes look like they are robbing performance in real world.
Old 03-28-16, 01:29 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
My RR-Racing tune has'nt arrive yet because of some glitch on the portable unit....i'm bothered about these results...i hope they can check to see what's up with the tune...
Thinking the same exact thing......
Old 03-28-16, 01:38 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So, I have been reading this thread and I have noticed that we are doing some interesting experimentation and conclusions here. It seems that alot of people are doing dynos and 1/4 mile runs after getting the tune. The only problem is that there are some discrepancies. For example, some show a baseline with exhaust only, then they get the tune and do another run. The problem is this second run also has headers or other mods. Everyone get's disappointed about the results and how the tune is not performing but on other end they fail to also notice the results included the addition of other factors such as headers (why are the headers not performing aswell?). All i'm saying is that their must be another variable if both tune and headers are disappointing and we need to stop just focusing on the tune as the only change that was made between the two results. The real issue is , we are doing a experiment without a control group (do you remember HS science class). What we need, is a known variable. Without something like this all these dynos and 1/4 mile runs are not any better than butt dynos.

Here is a ideal scenario:

Car 1 (control group):
ISF with no-tune
Mods: same as experimental group ( for exmaple: headers, exhaust)
same/similar tires/wheel

Car 2 (experimental group):
ISF with tune
Mods: same as control group (for example: headers, exhaust)
same/similar tires and wheels

Both cars go to the track at the same time, ideally the same person does atleast 3-5 runs. account for trap speed at track. This will show without a doubt on the impact of the tune.

For example if car 1 runs low 13's and car 2 runs high 12's we will know the tune is a factor.

If we don't have car 1 to create perspective of the real world situation and the tune car is running high 12's then everyone will say the tune is underperforming, because they expect it to be better than high 12's due to empirical data from the past BUT now with a control we can see that it is creating a true delta.

Until we get something like this we are just yip yapping in the wind, making assumptions and coming to simple conclusions.
Old 03-28-16, 04:46 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the 1/4 of mile 10hp is about a 1 mph and 0.1 seconds.

So if you are gaining 10-30hp from the tune your car better be running in the same conditions as the previous time.

I have taken my car to the 1/8th of mile and have seen a range in trap speeds of 82-84mph on the same day with about 7 passes..... in the 1/8th mile not the 1/4

I would also only look at trap speed not ET to pinpoint horse power gains.

Last edited by juanmedina; 03-28-16 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 05:41 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juanmedina
in the 1/4 of mile 10hp is about a 1 mph and 0.1 seconds.

So if you are gaining 10-30hp from the tune your car better be running in with the same conditions as the previous time.

I have taken my car to the 1/8th of mile and have seen a range in trap speeds of 82-84mph on the same day with about 7 passes..... in the 1/8th mile not the 1/4

I would also only look at trap speed not ET to pinpoint horse power gains.
Thanks Juan, let's do this right. I'd rather have butt dynos than a bunch of misunderstood/bad data.
Old 03-28-16, 05:46 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Sucks to hear. Pretty glad I held off from the tune now. Still wondering how RR Racing is claiming 40whp but no one else is getting it....and no one is angry/wanting refunds?! Is anyone feeling like they got their monies worth ($600-800) from this tune?!?!

V.
Old 03-28-16, 06:14 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Im glad I held off as well. Waiting to see what the vendors have to say. I went a different way to achieve this tune but this is almost exactly what happened to my F 4 years ago with a tune. I hope it pans out to be something different.
Old 03-28-16, 06:15 AM
Rohi123
Driver

Originally Posted by Piston1047
So, I have been reading this thread and I have noticed that we are doing some interesting experimentation and conclusions here. It seems that alot of people are doing dynos and 1/4 mile runs after getting the tune. The only problem is that there are some discrepancies. For example, some show a baseline with exhaust only, then they get the tune and do another run. The problem is this second run also has headers or other mods. Everyone get's disappointed about the results and how the tune is not performing but on other end they fail to also notice the results included the addition of other factors such as headers (why are the headers not performing aswell?). All i'm saying is that their must be another variable if both tune and headers are disappointing and we need to stop just focusing on the tune as the only change that was made between the two results. The real issue is , we are doing a experiment without a control group (do you remember HS science class). What we need, is a known variable. Without something like this all these dynos and 1/4 mile runs are not any better than butt dynos.

Here is a ideal scenario:

Car 1 (control group):
ISF with no-tune
Mods: same as experimental group ( for exmaple: headers, exhaust)
same/similar tires/wheel

Car 2 (experimental group):
ISF with tune
Mods: same as control group (for example: headers, exhaust)
same/similar tires and wheels

Both cars go to the track at the same time, ideally the same person does atleast 3-5 runs. account for trap speed at track. This will show without a doubt on the impact of the tune.

For example if car 1 runs low 13's and car 2 runs high 12's we will know the tune is a factor.

If we don't have car 1 to create perspective of the real world situation and the tune car is running high 12's then everyone will say the tune is underperforming, because they expect it to be better than high 12's due to empirical data from the past BUT now with a control we can see that it is creating a true delta.

Until we get something like this we are just yip yapping in the wind, making assumptions and coming to simple conclusions.
He bought the tune lol
Old 03-28-16, 06:21 AM
Rohi123
Driver

I made the most power from everybody that went and u didn't have the tune. I personally think it's a scam. They knew if they come out with a tune for the F everybody would jump on it because it's been such a long time. Has anybody else wondered why isn't there a single videos of rr-racing shop car actually making that power? That they claim, not a single person has even got close to the power rr-racing claims

Last edited by Rohi123; 03-28-16 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 06:58 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DanISFast
I know right? I'm surprised the people who bought the tunes aren't sharpening their pitchforks...

We have a decent amount of real world data already...

So far NOBODY with a tune has even cracked 380whp yet and we have quite a few dynos so far, even with headers/decatted stock headers and WITHOUT a tune they should be well over 400whp already. Hate jumping to conclusions but it almost seems like the tunes are making these cars lose power?

We got real world results also, DCguy (Intake/Decatted Manifolds/Exhaust/RR Tune) vs. MileHiFcar(Intake/Exhaust) and they were dead even when they raced. Something is seriously not right because even without a tune DCguy should pull with his decatted manifolds but even with that extra mod he couldn't pull awayl, It almost seems like the tune has taken away his gutted manifold advantage if that makes any sense. Now add to the fact that DCguy has the tune on top, so you would figure 15+whp for the decatted manifolds and add another 35+whp for the tune (advertised by RR Racing), he would have a solid 50whp advantage over MileHiFcar, DCguy should have theoretically freight trained MileHiFcar...but yet they were dead even? You guys see something wrong here?

Then we got idoke1 who dyno'd less than 300whp with his RR Racing tune...still not 100 percent sure it was his air oil separator to blame...unless he goes back onto the dyno.

Now we got the latest dragstrip results from jat0223, who gain LESS than 1mph trap after installing HEADERS + tune.. compared to his Borla only run.,... and only dyno'd 360ish whp after his RR Racing tune. Looks like the tune is robbing him of AT LEAST 40whp, he only dyno'd 307whp in 6th when he should be at 400+whp.

Also dragstrip results from Tas02 with full bolt-ons I/H/E+ RR Racing tuned and is running 12.9@112mph, which is slower than a STOCK ISF....

Unless a real owner actually does a baseline then a tuned dyno that actually shows real GAINS or proves it at the dragstrip, in my opinion so far these tunes aren't any better (maybe worse) than that PnP tune Vivid Racing was selling a few months ago which turned out to be snake oil.

Until somebody proves me wrong I'm gonna say it now....something is not right with these tunes....
Me and a few other guys have been doing some tune comparisons with data logging (MAF, IATs,timing) and the tune is really exposing how the ECU calibrates itself to different conditions/per vehicle. Whether the tune is making these variables more sensitive or not is unclear at this point but as we compile more data and get the numbers we are looking for from both a baseline and tune standpoint we will do some performance comparisons and see where we stand. Fortunately some of us "bought the tune" and we will try to provide the best data and unbiased output on this development as it continues.
Old 03-28-16, 06:58 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohi123
I made the most power from everybody that went and u didn't have the tune. I personally think it's a scam. They knew if they come out with a tune for the F everybody would jump on it because it's been such a long time. Has anybody else wondered why isn't there a single videos of rr-racing shop car actually making that power? That they claim, not a single person has even got close to the power rr-racing claims
They have a dyno video of their latest attempt to please out insatiable lust for power on their YouTube channel. Granted it doesn't show the dyno results. I guess you'd have to call them liars if you don't believe the data they're telling us. It just seems crazy that they would straight up tell you a mod isn't worth it even though they spent time developing, tuning and testing that's all lost if it doesn't go to production.
Old 03-28-16, 07:02 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Dynos can be manipulated to falsify numbers. Not saying this is happening ... at least I hope its not. lol
Old 03-28-16, 07:04 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, remember. It's not like the tuners have nothing to lose if they were caught in a lie or something. They do have other business but that would spread through the tuning community like fire and their businesses would be trashed. That just wouldn't make sense when they're spending their own money to host events and to race their ISF.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Those with a ECU tune , results please