Those with a ECU tune , results please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 01:07 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^^^^
Thanks for sharing Jat0223

I took my car (I/H/E w/hi flow cats, 7200 RR tune) to the strip for the first time on friday. Unlike Jat, I have no baseline (lame), plus I haven't done this in over 20 yrs. in any vehicle, so I had modest expectations to say the least.

According to regulars there, the track was prepped poorly, to be expected as it was opening day. My first pass was made with the tranny shifting itself, with the VSC disabled and the car in sport mode. Went @ 13.41 @ 107.86. For the 2nd run, I reduced the tire pressures from 36 psi to 32 & shifted manually, and did a 12.92 @ 112.03. I was not allowed to make a 3rd pass, as I forgot to bring a helmet. Damn.

I spun the tires way too much (2.089 60' on run #2), plus I hit the rev limiter on the 1 - 2 shift for what seemed like eternity.

I definitely need more experience & practice with the car.

Last edited by tas02; 03-27-16 at 08:48 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
Old 03-27-16, 02:32 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I'm pasting this from the track/dyno sticky. I don't know what to tell you guys.

Last night I finally had a chance to go back to the track to see if I would get any improvement from the mods. Usually this track is well prepped but unfortunately last night it wasn't. It was pretty bad and I even did a 360 in one of the runs. My brother got it on video and I also had an inside cam but I won't post it lol. Needless to say, of the five runs I did, I couldn't get a clean launch and the times were disappointing. I tried feathering the throttle and all but it just wouldn't hook so I resorted to short shifting first and second on my last run. I've had better launches in the street than last night at the track.

Base run with Borla cat back a few years ago.

Mods: Sikky headers, borla exhaust, RR Racing tune, light weight wheels wrapped in 245/275 Michelin PSS.

Left was my first and best run. Even though I spun the car kept a straight line and I didn't have to feather the throttle as much. The rest of the runs the car tried to get sideways. The video is from this run

Right was my last run. I short shifted first at about 4500 rpm and second at about 6000 rpm.

https://youtu.be/5uqx-AtCGUI

I definitely need more practice launching the car with the added power. I can't no longer just mash the pedal like a few years ago.

Edit:

I just took it to the dyno and more disappointments. It was a dynojet. 1 st pull in 6 th gear it made 307hp, second pull in 5 th gear it made 329hp and the 3rd pull in 4th gear it made 362hp.

I too hate it when the track is not up to standards. Your 60 ft on your first past is still very good. As for the dyno, I had similar results as well but I had an AOS can that was full of oil which caused my car to pull significant timing.
Old 03-27-16, 03:08 PM
specie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trap speeds don't look too great. It seems like those with the tune and mods have similar trap speeds to the people without.
Old 03-27-16, 03:10 PM
Rohi123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a 13.6 at 5000ft elevation.
Old 03-27-16, 03:36 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by specie
The trap speeds don't look too great. It seems like those with the tune and mods have similar trap speeds to the people without.
I agree my trap speed with a good launch when I just had a borla exhaust is very close to my trap speed with all the mods and very bad launches. How much does a bad launch affect trap speed I'm not sure.

But my launches weren't just bad, they were terrible. I couldn't floor the pedal until I was way into the run. The only run I floored it from the beginning was my first run, but then it*spun and I had to feather it until it gained traction. I also floored it in the second run but that's when I had my 360 incident.
Old 03-27-16, 04:25 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I agree my trap speed with a good launch when I just had a borla exhaust is very close to my trap speed with all the mods and very bad launches. How much does a bad launch affect trap speed I'm not sure.

But my launches weren't just bad, they were terrible. I couldn't floor the pedal until I was way into the run. The only run I floored it from the beginning was my first run, but then it*spun and I had to feather it until it gained traction. I also floored it in the second run but that's when I had my 360 incident.
So I guess the tune does create power but how good is power when we can't put it down hopefully with warmer wheather tires will stick better but to me it feels faster but I could be wrong and hope I'm not
Old 03-27-16, 05:02 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott610
So I guess the tune does create power but how good is power when we can't put it down hopefully with warmer wheather tires will stick better but to me it feels faster but I could be wrong and hope I'm not
Exactly, I just edited my post at the official drag time sticky with videos from inside the car showing how bad the track was.
Old 03-27-16, 05:35 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

^^Damn did they give you a refund for the track conditions? It looks like they sprayed canola oil all over the track, horrible conditions
Old 03-27-16, 05:59 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^Damn did they give you a refund for the track conditions? It looks like they sprayed canola oil all over the track, horrible conditions
LMAO well it was only $20. They do this every Tuesday and Friday night and usually this track is well prepped. This Friday there were very few people so I guess that's why they didn't prep it well. I did my base run at this track so I wanted to go the same one even though there's a closer track.
Old 03-27-16, 06:57 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Lol well $20 bucks isn't bad..... I'm assuming other guys there had traction issues also?
Old 03-27-16, 07:29 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Lol well $20 bucks isn't bad..... I'm assuming other guys there had traction issues also?
Yeah other guys were having problems as well.
Old 03-27-16, 07:37 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess next time play it safe and wait for better conditions insurance won't cover damages on the drag or track or unless u have lots of money then don't worry about this message lol
Old 03-27-16, 10:15 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

So far the results from this tune are less than impressive. I ran similar times and trap speeds as the gentleman above(tas02) but with a stock car and similar 60' times. I believe I consistently ran in the 12.9@110 range and then 12.4-6@115-116 with i/h/e
Old 03-28-16, 12:12 AM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
So far the results from this tune are less than impressive. I ran similar times and trap speeds as the gentleman above(tas02) but with a stock car and similar 60' times. I believe I consistently ran in the 12.9@110 range and then 12.4-6@115-116 with i/h/e
I know right? I'm surprised the people who bought the tunes aren't sharpening their pitchforks...

We have a decent amount of real world data already...

So far NOBODY with a tune has even cracked 380whp yet and we have quite a few dynos so far, even with headers/decatted stock headers and WITHOUT a tune they should be well over 400whp already. Hate jumping to conclusions but it almost seems like the tunes are making these cars lose power?

We got real world results also, DCguy (Intake/Decatted Manifolds/Exhaust/RR Tune) vs. MileHiFcar(Intake/Exhaust) and they were dead even when they raced. Something is seriously not right because even without a tune DCguy should pull with his decatted manifolds but even with that extra mod he couldn't pull awayl, It almost seems like the tune has taken away his gutted manifold advantage if that makes any sense. Now add to the fact that DCguy has the tune on top, so you would figure 15+whp for the decatted manifolds and add another 35+whp for the tune (advertised by RR Racing), he would have a solid 50whp advantage over MileHiFcar, DCguy should have theoretically freight trained MileHiFcar...but yet they were dead even? You guys see something wrong here?

Then we got idoke1 who dyno'd less than 300whp with his RR Racing tune...still not 100 percent sure it was his air oil separator to blame...unless he goes back onto the dyno.

Now we got the latest dragstrip results from jat0223, who gain LESS than 1mph trap after installing HEADERS + tune.. compared to his Borla only run.,... and only dyno'd 360ish whp after his RR Racing tune. Looks like the tune is robbing him of AT LEAST 40whp, he only dyno'd 307whp in 6th when he should be at 400+whp.

Also dragstrip results from Tas02 with full bolt-ons I/H/E+ RR Racing tuned and is running 12.9@112mph, which is slower than a STOCK ISF....

Unless a real owner actually does a baseline then a tuned dyno that actually shows real GAINS or proves it at the dragstrip, in my opinion so far these tunes aren't any better (maybe worse) than that PnP tune Vivid Racing was selling a few months ago which turned out to be snake oil.

Until somebody proves me wrong I'm gonna say it now....something is not right with these tunes....

Last edited by DanISFast; 03-28-16 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 12:30 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DanISFast
I know right? I'm surprised the people who bought the tunes aren't sharpening their pitchforks...

So far nobody with a tune has even cracked 380whp yet and we have quite a few dynos so far, even with headers/decatted stock headers and WITHOUT a tune they should be well over 400whp already. Not to jump to conclusions but it almost seems like the tunes are making them lose power?

We got real world results also, DCguy (Intake/Decatted Manifolds/Exhaust/RR Tune) vs. MileHiFcar(Intake/Exhaust) and they were dead even when they raced. That shows you something is seriously not right because even without a tune DCguy should pull with his decatted manifolds, so even with that extra mod he can't pull. It almost seems like the tune has taken away his gutted manifold advantage if that makes any sense.

Then we got idoke1 who dyno'd less than 300whp with his RR Racing tune...still not 100 percent sure it was his air oil separator to blame...

Now we got the latest dragstrip results from jat0223, who gain LESS than 1mph trap after installing HEADERS + RR Racing tune.. compared to his Borla only run.,... and only dyno'd 360ish whp....

Unless a real owner actually does a baseline then a tuned dyno that actually shows real GAINS, in my opinion so far these tunes aren't any better (maybe worse) than what Vivid Racing was selling a few months ago that turned out to be snake oil.

Until somebody proves me wrong I'm gonna say it now....something is not right with these tunes....
I hate to add fuel to the fire but me and DCguy went at it again tonight and we're dead even up to about 120-130ish and I mean nose to nose before we brake

Quick Reply: Those with a ECU tune , results please