IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Those with a ECU tune , results please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 08:04 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
It means the correction factors are not valid. Your dyno shop needs to longhand the calculations for you if you want an accurate number (unless they rigged the SAE correction somehow -- which the SAEs is pretty clear about) or maybe just talk to them and explain your concerns regarding the lower numbers and as it pertains to SAE corrections and their dyno. Ask them if having such a low pressure during testing is throwing things off considerably more than they're correcting for.
The standards used for dynos are set up to correct for the majority of differences in atmospheric conditions at different elevations. As you can see we've been talking about the lower pressures in CO and how they relate to dyno numbers (if they do at all) so it's a little premature to go drawing conclusions with data that is "outside of the range" for SAE corrections.
I have hundreds of dyno sheets for my Supras. Granted they are force inducted cars versus the naturally aspirated IS-F. That said, I am doubting that altitude is THE reason why cars are not showing a demonstrable improvement with mods and mods and an ECU tune. For those using the DynoJet, the SAE correction factor software is very precise. I do not know which dyno sheet it was, but one of the ones posted showed a correction factor of 1.21. I have dyno sheets with correction factors ranging from 0.98 to 1.08 (Las Vegas, NV; 3,000 feet elevation), so it seems to me the numbers generated are, more likely than not, accurate, as disappointing as that sounds to the vehicle owners.

I have no answer for those making less power with mods than they did stock, other than to say I have been disappointed many, many times over the years with my cars' dyno performance.

I don't mean to throw shade at anyone in this thread, but I do not believe you can develop a high altitude tune that will make more power than a car is already making with mods and a tune. I quoted Bigjon above because his posts are on point. Unless you find a way to force more air into the motor at a given altitude, with appropriate fueling, you are not going to make more power with a so-called high altitude tune.

With force inducted cars at the track, you always have the option to run more boost to account for less air density, but that alternative is not available to NA vehicles. The SAE correction factor on a DynoJet cannot be manipulated to my knowledge. In fact, the accuracy, reliability and repeatability of DynoJets is one of the reasons why it is the industry standard, IMO. Rafi mentioned this same thing many pages ago, and these units are not subject to operator inputs other than selecting SAE or STD). Best of luck to everyone in terms of finding your lost power. I am in the same boat with my '95 Supra and hope the most recent changes made have the desired effect.

Ken.
Old 03-14-16, 09:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
...I have no answer for those making less power with mods than they did stock, other than to say I have been disappointed many, many times over the years with my cars' dyno performance....
Ken.
Amen brother. That's the whole reason I have the tagline in my signature...
Old 03-14-16, 10:13 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Guess I'm in the wrong for feeling optimistic. Since the tune is brand new, maybe some improvements can be made. By data logging and letting the tuners analyze what could be perhaps a potential drawback in power to correct what seems to be a local issue. Perhaps the tune has nothing to do with it. Maybe its thin air, maybe its not... Afterall, a little feedback is what this thread was started for.
Old 03-14-16, 10:36 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, so the engine is an air pump. Maybe (big maybe), the stock exhaust isn't restrictive when the engine is pumping air at an atmospheric pressure of 12.3 as opposed to 14.7 (sea level). It's moving approximately 14% less air.

That would make sense. Lexus designs the exhaust to move air for near worst case scenario (which is common in other industries regarding the usage of psychrometrics especially when adhering to a federal standard).

Or more than likely it's a coincidence.

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 03-14-16 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-14-16, 10:59 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I've driven it about 2 thousand miles since install

I didn't reset the ECU after install but figured the ECU would've learned by now that there is no secondary cats and there is more airflow going out the rear
Do you have your previous dyno sheet with the air fuel ratio?
Old 03-15-16, 05:52 AM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe, just maybe, the toyota ECUs are not crackable AGAIN!
Old 03-15-16, 07:13 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
what ....

if you look at logs from a tune car vs a non tuned car you can see changes in timing, AFR and MAF etc etc.
Old 03-15-16, 07:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
I strongly disagree. The changes are obvious in the logs. The real test will be tuning for forced induction. This is what I am waiting for.
Old 03-15-16, 07:24 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF500
Do you have your previous dyno sheet with the air fuel ratio?
They printed with the MPH but I can always get a re-print of that dyno run with the A/F ratio maybe today.
Old 03-15-16, 07:26 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks more like there may be initial results but the ECU somehow "corrects" itself over time. Hopefully that isn't the case but it seems to fit based on attempts we've seen previously.

If there are issues, I'm sure RR and TTFS will be hard at work to correct them rather than just give up and abandon the product.
Old 03-15-16, 07:38 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Okay, so the engine is an air pump. Maybe (big maybe), the stock exhaust isn't restrictive when the engine is pumping air at an atmospheric pressure of 12.3 as opposed to 14.7 (sea level). It's moving approximately 14% less air.

That would make sense. Lexus designs the exhaust to move air for near worst case scenario (which is common in other industries regarding the usage of psychrometrics especially when adhering to a federal standard).

Or more than likely it's a coincidence.
Interesting theory? Quite possible....... But then what explains Rohi123 run approx 10-15 min after my run (also posted on this thread same page right after mine) his run was at 390 w/Sikky headers & same exhaust (Borla). He put down 33 more Whp then mine, so that's all attributable to the headers and apparently the engine is pumping enough air with just the fan blowing stationary at the dyno to give the increased results with headers but not with just the Borla exhaust alone?
Old 03-15-16, 08:52 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Interesting theory? Quite possible....... But then what explains Rohi123 run approx 10-15 min after my run (also posted on this thread same page right after mine) his run was at 390 w/Sikky headers & same exhaust (Borla). He put down 33 more Whp then mine, so that's all attributable to the headers and apparently the engine is pumping enough air with just the fan blowing stationary at the dyno to give the increased results with headers but not with just the Borla exhaust alone?
Honestly I'm just guessing. I was in a Holiday Inn last night...

We know the headers make power then and we know the intake side isn't a problem, maybe the factory headers are the bottle neck and once you add the aftermarket headers or decat the factory manifold you now moved the bottle neck to the cat back exhaust...

It will be good to get more info to try and determine what may (or may not) be wrong.
Old 03-15-16, 09:33 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont understand how the people with the tune,feel the power from their butt dyno.....and then this....i hope people with the tune start baselining their cars so we can have a clear result.....
But weather its good or bad....this is where the OBD device shine.....RR-Racing can easy change or update its tune and we can just download it
Old 03-15-16, 09:55 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
I dont understand how the people with the tune,feel the power from their butt dyno.....and then this....i hope people with the tune start baselining their cars so we can have a clear result.....
But weather its good or bad....this is where the OBD device shine.....RR-Racing can easy change or update its tune and we can just download it
so can TTFS...
Old 03-15-16, 10:34 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
placebo effect? Also I've had my OBD2 device from TTFS since before RR announced what they were offering as their solution which ended up being the same product as TTFS. Not even sure how many RR customers currently have their OBD2 tuning device that they are now offering.

Quick Reply: Those with a ECU tune , results please