2016 Refresh - Like New Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 03:40 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
More info and pics on this!

I have been looking around at them, they look to be going for around 40-50k. They seem hard to find in a manual.

What are your thoughts on driving the IS-F vs the 911?
I picked up a Panamera GTS for the wife earlier last year and absolutely loved driving it, looking for any excuse I could come up with to get in it. And I always wanted a 911 myself so I took the plunge on a clean 996tt late in the year after a few months of searching. Seller was a 71 year old collector who absolutely babied this car. It was driven a couple hundred miles a year, never in the rain, just a perfect car with not a scratch or imperfection anywhere (included was every receipt for all maintenance ever and even every single gas receipt for the life of the car. Crazy). I wasn't looking for the cheapest one I could find, especially since the ones in upper 30s or low 40s would require tons of work to bring up to my expectations. So I paid a little bit of a premium, but I got a new car for it.

It is loaded with carbon fiber everywhere and had the sport seats, which is what I really wanted. So far there are springs and a tune on it bringing it up to somewhere around 420-430whp...planning on exhaust, wheels and some other minor bolt-ons. Nothing crazy though.

As far as comparison to ISF...completely different car. There is some turbo lag on the Porsche, but when it spools, it pulls SO HARD! I think the ISF would out-jump it but the 996tt would quickly reel it in. Its a much smaller car, very raw and feels pretty nimble compared to the newer 911 turbos. You can tell the weight difference from ISF immediately.

Some pics...

Old 02-16-16, 04:10 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great, love the wheels and the new headlights!

Nice work!
Old 02-16-16, 06:49 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks great, I wouldn't get rid of it.
Old 02-16-16, 08:40 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by hyboost
I picked up a Panamera GTS for the wife earlier last year and absolutely loved driving it, looking for any excuse I could come up with to get in it. And I always wanted a 911 myself so I took the plunge on a clean 996tt late in the year after a few months of searching. Seller was a 71 year old collector who absolutely babied this car. It was driven a couple hundred miles a year, never in the rain, just a perfect car with not a scratch or imperfection anywhere (included was every receipt for all maintenance ever and even every single gas receipt for the life of the car. Crazy). I wasn't looking for the cheapest one I could find, especially since the ones in upper 30s or low 40s would require tons of work to bring up to my expectations. So I paid a little bit of a premium, but I got a new car for it.

It is loaded with carbon fiber everywhere and had the sport seats, which is what I really wanted. So far there are springs and a tune on it bringing it up to somewhere around 420-430whp...planning on exhaust, wheels and some other minor bolt-ons. Nothing crazy though.

As far as comparison to ISF...completely different car. There is some turbo lag on the Porsche, but when it spools, it pulls SO HARD! I think the ISF would out-jump it but the 996tt would quickly reel it in. Its a much smaller car, very raw and feels pretty nimble compared to the newer 911 turbos. You can tell the weight difference from ISF immediately.
I can only imagine what the car feels like with 420-430 whp considering the 996 tubo is pretty light? Nice find basically brand new and yea I don't think the ISF is even comparable to a 15 year old 911 Turbo that's tuned, completely different categories.
Old 02-17-16, 05:36 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice....looking clean man!

Any plans for a clear bra for the bumper?
Old 02-17-16, 05:44 PM
hyboost
Driver

Absolutely. Will clear bumper, headlights, fogs and carbon lip. I'm not going through this again!
Old 02-18-16, 04:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Yes, AFS light is on. Not sure if I'll tape over it or take the cluster out...depending how much it bothers me.
So I did both..
I took out the cluster.. Removed the lens & grid and taped over the flashing LED.. few pieces..

Reinstalled everything, and looks great..

Definitely don't put tape on top of the clear lens.. or on the top side of the gauge plate.

Joe Z
Old 02-18-16, 07:01 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great!

I swear new headlights make eeeeeverything feel better lol. I needa do mine
Old 02-19-16, 11:06 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Loving the Porker!

996 T is the one to have.

Great colour choice as well mate.

Quite the collection of nice cars you and the wife have there.

Do you have any beaters to do the dirty stuff?!

I'd cry if I had to do anything messy with those three!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-16, 04:30 PM
hyboost
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Definitely don't put tape on top of the clear lens.. or on the top side of the gauge plate.

Joe Z
I'll make sure to do it right if I end up going down that route. Tape on top of the cluster would bother me pretty quickly

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Do you have any beaters to do the dirty stuff?!

I'd cry if I had to do anything messy with those three!
Yeah, I have a Tundra that is used for towing duty most of the time, but it also serves as the Home Depot beater when needed. My wife used to have a Cayenne but we realized that we don't need an SUV with the truck around, so it gave me an opportunity to work on her to agree to the Panamera.

Pics of the Tundra bringing the 996tt home when I bought it and also at Sebring with the race car on the trailer.

Old 02-19-16, 07:47 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was from a seller called Oemdirect and I paid right around $75 so pretty cheap. Fitment lines up really well on each side and on top of trunk. It came with a tube of adhesive but we ended up using 3m double sided tape instead. You will have some work to do on the edges to make it smooth and perfect. Can't complain for $75.
Can you post the eBay link, I can't find it.
Old 02-19-16, 07:53 PM
hyboost
Driver

Here is the exact one I bought from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-13-Lexus-...0AAOSwZ1lWePn-
Old 02-20-16, 01:02 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice porsche
Old 02-20-16, 10:07 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my 996TT (mine is on ADV.1's as well)! The one car I will never sell. Yours is truly mint!

Old 03-03-16, 07:51 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Hows the spoiler holding up?

Also did you remove the factory spoiler or did you just install over it?

Quick Reply: 2016 Refresh - Like New Again