IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CEL and check VSC WITHOUT headers !

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 05:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default CEL and check VSC WITHOUT headers !

Alright boys and girls, here is a new one. My car has been idling a little ruff recently and getting some hesitation in my F recently when taking off from a stop light. At lunch today the car was idling ruff and hesitating, but when I took off at the end of the day the VSC CEL lights came on the dash and the car went into limp mode ( like driving in snow mode ). I thought this happened usually with headers but I don't have headers. Just a Joe Z exhaust .

Was wondering what you guys think this might be from ??? O2 sensors, MAF sensor???

Anyone have this happen to them WITHOUT headers?

I immediately called the dealer and got her in this evening. Was just trying to pick some brains as to what the source may be. They should have some more info for me in the morning .

Thanks so much guys
Old 02-08-16, 06:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Another question.....Looks like the O2 sensors are cheap as hell. Are they the same right and left or is there a different part number for the right and left sides?? Found the Denso parts on Amazon . Might change both out since they are less than $70.
Old 02-08-16, 06:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Rather than guessing and using the shotgun approach. Why not invest in a code reader and read the code? Maybe it is the o2 sensors, but code readers are really not that expensive and a visit to the dealer armed with that information may actually be of some help.

And I don't know about you, but $70 bux is a lot of money to me!

And BTW, maybe it's just me, but I find your signature pic to be in extremely bad taste. Yes, I know the Eddy Murphy origin, but to me, it just rubs me the wrong way especially in this day and age.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-08-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 06:41 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Tammer go to pepboys or auto zone they can check that for you for free and they'll tell you the codes as well.
Old 02-08-16, 06:42 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Rather than guessing and using the shotgun approach. Why not invest in a code reader and read the code? Maybe it is the o2 sensors, but code readers are really not that expensive and a visit to the dealer armed with that information may actually be of some help.

Lou
There's a good suggestion. I would never take my vehicle to the dealer without knowing the codes first.
Old 02-08-16, 07:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flowrider

And BTW, maybe it's just me, but I find your signature pic to be in extremely bad taste. Yes, I know the Eddy Murphy origin, but to me, it just rubs me the wrong way especially in this day and age.

Lou
Originally Posted by chris07is
Tammer go to pepboys or auto zone they can check that for you for free and they'll tell you the codes as well.
Originally Posted by Gymkata
There's a good suggestion. I would never take my vehicle to the dealer without knowing the codes first.
Thanks for the replies guys. I will remember to have Auto Zone give me the codes or I will just look into a code reader. But as far as simply replacing the 02 sensors , you guys think its over kill?? I have a feeling its going to be the culprit and they will charge me $400 for two sensors when I can get them on amazon for $130 plus shipping

Lou, as far as the signature pic, Lexual Chocolate was my nick name at the local dealership because my plate is LEXUAL1. I am close with my SA and techs so we all laugh at the plate. I also have dark skin, therefore Lexual Chocolate. If it offends you then it may offend others as well so I will swap it out. Sorry to have offended anyone. Much love to my Lexus family
Old 02-08-16, 07:31 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

could be a bad wheel bearing/speed sensor /sensor wire. just throwing some stuff out there.

investing in a nice code reader is a good idea. mine has come in handy and im usually always the first to be called when friends have problems.
Old 02-08-16, 07:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Right on ! I would have assumed that these code readers were very expensive units. As far as my current situation ( she is already at the dealership ) I was thinking of maybe ordering them preemptively . I have done some leg work and it looks like the most common culprit would be the sensors, sensor connection, or an exhaust leak before the location of the sensors.

They did the labor for the exhaust . I am hoping its just a loose connection or minor leak but they way the car has been idling and hesitating intermittantly I would assume its a sensor.

Its like gamble the $138 on the fact that the dealer could charge me $270 more if its a sensor.

Also if it is a sensor would you guys change just one or is it advisable to replace both ??

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate your time and attention
Old 02-08-16, 07:53 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^it could be lots of factors. Hopefully, it's just your o2 sensors. Let us know what the dealer says and how much they are charging.

Last edited by idoke1; 02-08-16 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 07:56 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lol thought they called you lexual chocolate because you would take them Big Mics from McDowells lol
Old 02-08-16, 07:57 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not offended at all my lexual chocolate, in fact I thought it was hilarious. Coming to America is one of my all time favorites. I may be a tall goofy blonde and pasty guy but I know a great movie when I see one. Don't worry too much about offending people as many people are just too thin skinned these days
Old 02-08-16, 08:02 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Im not sure about this car however with my previous cars I've purchased oem denso sensors when one went back and the problem came back and/or it did not fix it and had to get oem.
Old 02-08-16, 08:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^it could be lots of factors. Hopefully, it's just your o2 sensors. Lethe us know what the dealer says and how much they are charging.
Absolutely !!

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Lol thought they called you lexual chocolate because you would take them Big Mics from McDowells lol
Actually I would buy small Christmas gifts and even gifts for new babies. We were tight !!

Originally Posted by chrisp1
I'm not offended at all my lexual chocolate, in fact I thought it was hilarious. Coming to America is one of my all time favorites. I may be a tall goofy blonde and pasty guy but I know a great movie when I see one. Don't worry too much about offending people as many people are just too thin skinned these days
Right on man! Good to know it wasnt too bad lol. I just want to keep things offense free for any and all members......BUT I thought that it was hilarious. So did my friends at the dealership when I showed them.

Originally Posted by k20trick
Im not sure about this car however with my previous cars I've purchased oem denso sensors when one went back and the problem came back and/or it did not fix it and had to get oem.
Good to know buddy. Maybe I will play it safe. I was just assuming that it may be better to replace both 02 sensors ( if that is the culprit ) rather than one. Not sure . We shall see.

Thanks again for all your help fellas.
Old 02-08-16, 08:27 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

o2 sensor, fuel issue (injectors?), spark plugs misfire from comp loss damaged heads causing misfire codes and into limp mode? Let us know what they say please
Old 02-09-16, 12:05 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Could also easily be an $8 crush gasket (x2) at the manifold to x-pipe flanges..

Remember you have a good amount of race weekends locked in.. So if those bolts get loose and/or the gaskets begin to disintegrate due to excessive heating & cooling cycles.. That will easily throw a code for a bad reading on the O2 sensor..

The way to find the leak is to cup their hand around the flanges while someone is revving...

And for sure I wouldn't replace a sensor unless it was absolutely necessary showing bad or damaged. Also, if those sensor wires are wound up or twisted on reinstall, that too can cause the sensor to foul or go into low voltage reading..

If they need anymore technical support, I know you still have my hotline number

Joe Z

Quick Reply: CEL and check VSC WITHOUT headers !