IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Have your cake and eat it too? My PPE Dual Mode Exhaust Review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 08:17 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Most people have reported no drone with the Borla. Surprised that there is drone with your Borla.
Borla here.. With PPE header, no cat, and Injen Intake.. There is definitely droning around 2000 rpm. Borla sent me free venturi inserts to fix.. it didn't do much.

Last edited by jadeboy; 03-15-16 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-15-16, 09:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Sounds good!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-15-16, 11:51 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cmsal168
Would the electric cutouts do the same purpose as the dual mode exhaust for a fraction of the price? I currently have the OEM exhaust with Sikky headers with resonator delete. I like the exhaust sound with this combo as there is absolutely no drone. Of course, there are times when I do some spirited driving and would like a bit more exhaust noise. Wouldn't the electric cutouts create that aggressive exhaust sound that everyone looks for? I am aware that power gains are not the same.

Regarding the dual mode exhaust, when the valve is closed, does the exhaust lose some power as it exits out of the one outlet?
With the valves closed, the exhaust flow diverts through the chambers of the muffler, the chambers according to PPE are setup similar to stock so it's pretty quiet. As far as power difference, I "think" I could feel a slight loss of top end power in quiet mode, or maybe it's just because it's quieter and it gives off the impression of less power. Who knows, lol, I drive mostly with the valves open. Only close it when I need to have a conversation, listen to some music or when I'm with the wife. I did recently give another ISF member a ride after he picked up some stuff from me, with the valves closed he said it sounded like stock. With the valves open, it was louder than his JoeZ.

Originally Posted by kiryu
Thanks for the write up. Congrats!!

Actually my biggest complain about the $1000 borla is the drone...I can never get used to it even after 18 months. Nice power gains but the sound kinda annoy me on a daily basis.

So this PPE solution might be money well invested. I am curious how much did you pay to install this? When I did the borla it was $90...since it's very straight forward. With this PPE, since the stock ISF does not come with valvetronic system I assume it's a bit more work to wire it up and install an additional stealthy button inside the car.

Also do you know if there is a power gain difference between opening the valves and closing it?

for my r8 I know the valves have to open with the OEM sport button since it's a quad pipe system and keeping the valves closed will lose some power..at least that's what i was told
I installed it myself in my garage on jack stands, I did it over the course of a week. Worked on it a bit at a time after work, was definitely more involved than your typical exhaust install. I had to protect the vacuum lines and electrical wires from heat, and protect them from anything that looks like they might come in contact which could damage them. Also made sure all my connections underneath were shrink wrapped and water tight. Then again I'm usually real **** when it comes to mods and never like to half *** anything. I'm that guy who torques every little bolt/nut down to factory spec or else it would bother me. =)

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 03-16-16 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-16-16, 12:53 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
I installed it myself in my garage on jack stands, I did it over the course of a week. Worked on it a bit at a time after work, was definitely more involved than your typical exhaust install. I had to protect the vacuum lines and electrical wires from heat, and protect them from anything that looks like they might come in contact which could damage them. Also made sure all my connections underneath were shrink wrapped and water tight. Then again I'm usually real **** when it comes to mods and never like to half *** anything. I'm that guy who torques every little bolt/nut down to factory spec or else it would bother me. =)
Very nice! I wish i am as handy