IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Have your cake and eat it too? My PPE Dual Mode Exhaust Review.

Old 02-08-16, 10:26 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
ISFPOWER, I paid roughly $2900 total but I also ordered the high flow cat option. I think back when I ordered they had an extended Black Friday promotion.
that's not bad then . after hearing your video from the other thread, i really like it. reminds me of the new m5 v8 biturbo i drove.
Old 02-08-16, 10:30 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
ISFPOWER, I paid roughly $2900 total but I also ordered the high flow cat option. I think back when I ordered they had an extended Black Friday promotion.
Nice! I ordered my headers from them for Black Friday. You can't beat that price, or the craftsmanship.
Old 02-08-16, 10:54 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the pics & write-up. I went with PPE's "race muffler" set up (no valves) w/high flow cats & was very impressed with the build quality of the system. To be honest, now kinda wish I had spent extra to have the option of being stealthy.

I'm now even more interested in your reviews of the RR ecu tune, as you also have the high flow cats. My tuned ecu should arrive this week, and I can't wait.
Old 02-08-16, 11:33 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 77 Posts

i would love to have something like this, but I can't afford it right now... can't wait to hear/see the clips though!!
Old 02-08-16, 12:27 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great! Would love to get this.. but it's will be about $5000 CDN so it's not an option right now. I have existing Borla and would definitely like to quite it down on demand.. Anyone have successfully installed a bypass valve and electronic switch for the Borla to silent the beast?
Old 02-20-16, 05:19 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Updated with some clips.
Old 02-21-16, 06:10 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Definitely a bad *** exhaust. I'm probably going to get a Borla for now because of the price. Wife would kill me if I spent $3k on an exhaust since she's frugal as hell.
Old 02-21-16, 08:38 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the perfect exhaust. I want the crazy loudness and the OE quietness on my car as well. Sold me on it.
Old 02-21-16, 06:53 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the soundclips.

Were the headers and/or high flow cats installed?

I shoulda gone for the dual mode. Maybe I can retrofit.
Old 02-21-16, 07:29 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tas02
Thanks for the soundclips.

Were the headers and/or high flow cats installed?

I shoulda gone for the dual mode. Maybe I can retrofit.
I'm still waiting for my high flow cats and PPE headers. Hit up PPE, maybe they can sell you just the valves and components, then you can have them welded on.. Unless the muffler design is somehow different inside?

If you look inside the muffler of mine, the bottom port looks like it goes directly out from the pipe, like straight through, once the valve is closed the flow is diverted through the chambers and up and out through the top. Have a look inside your tips.
Old 02-25-16, 07:07 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

My PPE custom ordered 200CPI metal cats came today, these bolt up directly to the PPE exhaust system. Getting the system ready for my PPE headers.

Good thing is I can swap these pipes out whenever I hit the drag strip or track and run catless, then bolt them on for street driving to reduce the raw fuel smell.

Old 03-15-16, 06:23 PM
cmsal168
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the electric cutouts do the same purpose as the dual mode exhaust for a fraction of the price? I currently have the OEM exhaust with Sikky headers with resonator delete. I like the exhaust sound with this combo as there is absolutely no drone. Of course, there are times when I do some spirited driving and would like a bit more exhaust noise. Wouldn't the electric cutouts create that aggressive exhaust sound that everyone looks for? I am aware that power gains are not the same.

Regarding the dual mode exhaust, when the valve is closed, does the exhaust lose some power as it exits out of the one outlet?
Old 03-15-16, 06:41 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up. Congrats!!

Actually my biggest complain about the $1000 borla is the drone...I can never get used to it even after 18 months. Nice power gains but the sound kinda annoy me on a daily basis.

So this PPE solution might be money well invested. I am curious how much did you pay to install this? When I did the borla it was $90...since it's very straight forward. With this PPE, since the stock ISF does not come with valvetronic system I assume it's a bit more work to wire it up and install an additional stealthy button inside the car.

Also do you know if there is a power gain difference between opening the valves and closing it?

for my r8 I know the valves have to open with the OEM sport button since it's a quad pipe system and keeping the valves closed will lose some power..at least that's what i was told
Old 03-15-16, 06:45 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kiryu
Thanks for the write up. Congrats!!

Actually my biggest complain about the $1000 borla is the drone...I can never get used to it even after 18 months. Nice power gains but the sound kinda annoy me on a daily basis.

So this PPE solution might be money well invested. I am curious how much did you pay to install this? When I did the borla it was $90...since it's very straight forward. With this PPE, since the stock ISF does not come with valvetronic system I assume it's a bit more work to wire it up and install an additional stealthy button inside the car.

Also do you know if there is a power gain difference between opening the valves and closing it?

for my r8 I know the valves have to open with the OEM sport button since it's a quad pipe system and keeping the valves closed will lose some power..at least that's what i was told
Most people have reported no drone with the Borla. Surprised that there is drone with your Borla.
Old 03-15-16, 06:52 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Most people have reported no drone with the Borla. Surprised that there is drone with your Borla.
I know...that's why I bought it. I dont know what's considered "drone"...but this eternal huuuummmm at 1500-2000 rpm seems to never leave my head cruising around town..and i hate to downshift to get rid of the noise coz i will be getting 14 mpg as a result...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have your cake and eat it too? My PPE Dual Mode Exhaust Review.