IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY ECU TUNING - Information

Old 02-08-16, 01:35 AM
bondango
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY ECU TUNING - Information

would like to use this thread on the advancements, hardware, software available for DIY tuning.
Its no surprise that a lot of the main hardware software developers cracked the Denso / NEC processors last year, which has now filtered through and now vendors are offering tuning services.

Alientech is one such company with the K-TAG Denso NBD NEC 76F00xx Toyota protocol MASTER for their hardware.

But for the DIY'er there will be cheaper alternatives. First the hardware to read and write to the NEC 76F00xx. There are china clones of the Alientech Master and something im going to look into.
Not sure if BDM100 supports this yet, but no doubt more and more will become available.
You will need the correct header to read the ecu - Board Type B for DENSO ECU NEC 76F00xx
Also a BDM frame to Hold the ECU

Software wise, a lot in going on with map definition. The cheapest i can find is
BitEdit Toyota Denso Petrol 5 Module.
http://bitedit.ru/en/catalog/16
For now it includes some of the following maps: spark advance maps for high and low octane fuel, minimal spark advance, spark advance corrections, VVT camshaft position maps, injection enrichment control, injection corrections, throttle valve control, requested torque, and all main sensors conversion curves.

Feel free to post up any ideas, info, or other software/hardware that has became available.
Old 02-08-16, 04:52 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interesting
Old 02-08-16, 10:15 AM
tgui
Pole Position

As far as the software ROM editing, if someone knows were in the ROM desired tables are located, I have my own tuning software I wrote some time ago that I'd make available for free. Its written in Java (cross platform), and uses a very simple XML table definition thats similar to the RomRaider/OpenECU format.

Then again the hard part IS getting the addresses, bit conversions and so forth for maps. A collective effort to freely and legally pinpoint the most common and most used maps would be nicer than spending $200 euro for that software OP listed.

DIY ECU TUNING - Information-k5zabdf.png

Defs are like so.

DIY ECU TUNING - Information-mecxfp2.png
Old 02-08-16, 10:19 AM
tgui
Pole Position

If we got a copy of a ROM, IDA could be used to dive in. I'm rusty though, look at the build date of my software, 2008.
Old 02-08-16, 10:49 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Subbed. Looking forward to this possibility
Old 02-08-16, 10:58 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

good ol' IDA software. How I don't miss looking at dis assembly
Old 02-08-16, 11:07 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
good ol' IDA software. How I don't miss looking at dis assembly
Agreed. Its better than hunting with a HEX editor.

KPIT Gnu utils might have some toolchains that would work. Back in the day I dabbled with its Renesas support, but then my need for a social life and getting ****ed up on beer took over. I made the right choice.

http://www.kpitgnutools.com
Old 02-08-16, 11:56 PM
bondango
Driver School Candidate

Great ideas! Been a while from my rom raider and tactrix days but definately the way to go.

The Biggest drawback at present is that Flashing over the Diagnostic port is not implemented yet. But i know that openport 2.0 can do a virtual read, so this will be the next big step in flashing for the 2urgse ECU.
Until then, hardware to get the ROM image is expensive. One other option now available is :-
http://www.autokey.com.ua/TOYOTA/HTML/TOYOTA.html

Now, IF we could get an ECU rom dump it would be a brilliant starting point. In fact, without one we are going no were.

So, if any one has recently had an ECU tune, were you given a copy of your stock map?? I know the vendors will not help, and maybe see this thread in a different light than we do.
Old 02-09-16, 09:19 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This is pretty cool. for open source
Old 02-10-16, 08:04 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bondango
would like to use this thread on the advancements, hardware, software available for DIY tuning.
Its no surprise that a lot of the main hardware software developers cracked the Denso / NEC processors last year, which has now filtered through and now vendors are offering tuning services.

Alientech is one such company with the K-TAG Denso NBD NEC 76F00xx Toyota protocol MASTER for their hardware.
Well this explains why multiple tuners are coming out at the same time. I did not know these were mainstream processors.

It's only a matter of time before the open source solution comes to the masses. Hopefully this trickles into some of the other processors within the car. Adding the remote start feature and auto roll/up down (yes I'm aware the 'down' portion is present) to the US spec and other market ISFs would be incredible.

Originally Posted by bondango
Great ideas! Been a while from my rom raider and tactrix days but definately the way to go.

The Biggest drawback at present is that Flashing over the Diagnostic port is not implemented yet. But i know that openport 2.0 can do a virtual read, so this will be the next big step in flashing for the 2urgse ECU.
Until then, hardware to get the ROM image is expensive. One other option now available is :-
http://www.autokey.com.ua/TOYOTA/HTML/TOYOTA.html

Now, IF we could get an ECU rom dump it would be a brilliant starting point. In fact, without one we are going no were.
I'm curious if the initial hardware flash removes some security checks. That tuning solutions company mentioned that the initial hardware flash was required but subsequent tuning can be done through the CAN bus. But you're right. Getting the initial ROM is the first step. Toyota/Lexus already has the ability to flash via the CAN bus so it's only a matter of time before someone finds a way to sign custom ROMs so that the ECU will accept them as official software.

Last edited by 96300NAZ; 02-10-16 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 08:43 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

I've been looking into this more and more. I'm not happy with the massive price tag on RR's supercharger kit.

I found a company that's offering software and has done quite a few other 2IS and 3IS vehicles. I reached out to them with a few initial questions. We'll see their response says.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/lexus/products/lexus-isf-5-0-self-tuning-software-kit?variant=43430982220

RR has said in another thread that the limiting factor on power output was injector size. I'm going to buy a used one and find a suitable ID injector. Even if they don't have a drop in its not uncommon to find other platforms where people have made adaptor caps to retrofit something else.

The next step is to disable the direct injection. Their software shows OBDII tables editable. Not sure if it throws a code when you unplug the power to the direct injection system, but if it does I wonder if that code can be disabled. Talking with my Toyota MDT friend is pretty common for other tunable platforms to just disable direct injection.

If all answers come back yes I'm going to start planning where turbos can go and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
Ilir3gs430 (07-24-22)
Old 09-05-17, 02:23 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

That's all very well but can you change a set of points
Old 09-05-17, 07:06 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by isfvss
That's all very well but can you change a set of points
Not following what you're saying.
Old 09-05-17, 07:11 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Got responses back.

Rescaling of direct injection is working.
Ratio of split injection is working.
Port injection scaling hasn't been found yet.

According to ovtuning they say up to 600 wheel is achievable with factory injection system.

I have some freed up project time and a set of twins from my Z that I'm not using. Time to start the planning.
Old 09-06-17, 03:03 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
Not following what you're saying.
I'm being sarcastic Points are something old cars have google it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY ECU TUNING - Information