IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

X-Force Exhaust - Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 03:47 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I have had the Varex for a few months too - I am very happy.

The exhaust is quiet overall, no drone at all while cruising. With the flap closed it is like stock, with the flap open it is a muffled growl, almost sounds as if the exhaust is congested. For me, this is perfect - I do not like raspy sounding exhausts. If I could change one thing, I wish it were 10% louder with the flap open but the tone is great.

Performance wise, I noticed a little bit of improvement - but it was not a night and day difference.

Also note, I had my speed shop do the install (not a dedicated muffler shop), it bolted right on but I have some squeaking/clanking/rubbing going on while driving over bumps. Minor stuff, and only noticeable when driving with the windows down, but still annoying. I need to get to a muffler shop for an adjustment.
same with me, I didn't have an exhaust shop install. most likely it's the crossbar that's hitting the exhaust. you can take it off and use a small sledge hammer to bend it to clear the exhaust, just need about 3 inches. mine was hitting for a few months and just fixed it last week. no more clunks.
Old 10-13-16, 06:25 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Finally pulled the trigger on this with the Varex mufflers. If the open position is not loud enough, I'm replacing the resonators with straight pipes.
Old 10-13-16, 08:29 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

^ should sound pretty nice unresonated. Are you having any fitment issues - rubbing, light clanking?
Old 10-13-16, 08:34 AM
mahcah
Racer

I just ordered it yesterday so it looks like I should have it a month from now. Already have the double wiring harness otw.
Old 10-13-16, 11:31 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried the Vertex one that has the ability to quite the car down immediately with a switch?
Old 10-13-16, 11:38 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
Finally pulled the trigger on this with the Varex mufflers. If the open position is not loud enough, I'm replacing the resonators with straight pipes.
I built my system using varex mufflers. I don't have the official x-force exhaust.
X-pipe, straight pipes to the varex mufflers. I also have headers. I can tell you it's loud and I have some rasp sound only when in load. Otherwise it's addictive when you floor it and can be closed to sound similar to stock.
Old 10-13-16, 11:41 AM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by Max16
I built my system using varex mufflers. I don't have the official x-force exhaust.
X-pipe, straight pipes to the varex mufflers. I also have headers. I can tell you it's loud and I have some rasp sound only when in load. Otherwise it's addictive when you floor it and can be closed to sound similar to stock.
Yes! I was hoping for that! So with deleting the resonators, the sound for open/close should be the same as yours (paired with headers).
Old 10-13-16, 11:42 AM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by zazzn
Has anyone tried the Vertex one that has the ability to quite the car down immediately with a switch?
There are a handful of members running the Varex mufflers who are able to do so.
Old 10-13-16, 11:43 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes! I was hoping for that! So with deleting the resonators, the sound for open/close should be the same as yours (paired with headers).
Should be yes. Do you know what SS gauge x-force is using?

Mine's a 16ga so I'm eliminating possible drones coming from a thin exhaust.
Old 10-13-16, 11:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

There are a handful of members running the Varex mufflers who are able to do so.
And some of us running the PPE Dual Mode Exhaust

Lou
Old 10-13-16, 12:15 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by Max16
Should be yes. Do you know what SS gauge x-force is using?

Mine's a 16ga so I'm eliminating possible drones coming from a thin exhaust.
No but I am thinking 16ga, but that's just my speculation. Not sure if anyone can chime in on that.

I don't think anyone has reported drone on the exhaust set up with non-Varex or Varex mufflers though.
Old 10-13-16, 12:18 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by flowrider
And some of us running the PPE Dual Mode Exhaust

Lou
Yeah PPE is great and has more of an OEM look for the button to adjust valve.

Both the XForce and PPE have their pros of their own for sure.
Old 10-13-16, 03:16 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the xforce varex system with ppe headers and magnaflow cats. I was told by friends it has an exotic car sound. I like it a lot. Without cats it was a bit too loud and raspy for me
Old 10-13-16, 04:24 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How does it sound when you close the muffler baffles?

Any videos of open/closed.
Old 10-13-16, 04:34 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the X force. Hangers were fixed, tips still had to be chopped. Its way throatier than OEM, I believe the videos online don't really do it justice. No drone really. Feels like its got more *****. More people come and ask about the car. I'll eventually get around to doing some good video/audio before I take the mufflers off and bolt on my straights.

For the price, you cant beat this exhaust. And the muffler section is bolt on, you could do w.e you want with some extra flanges.

Oh I have the non varex for the record. Headers next for sure.

Quick Reply: X-Force Exhaust - Review