IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

X-Force Exhaust - Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 04:31 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fathorsejr
So how loud is this exhaust when it's in the open position with stock headers?
Mine was approx 92db which surprised me as you can definitely hear it, much louder than stock.

When closed, in my opinion, its slightly quieter than stock
Old 08-27-16, 06:13 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

So after going through the entire thread, the varex setup is pretty much poor man's PPE dual system right?

Definitely inclined to have something like this.

Few questions:
1) anyone knows the weight savings over the OEM exhaust?
2) any documented HP/TRQ gains?
3) summit racing doesn't sell the varex version right?
Old 08-28-16, 08:27 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I ordered my varex through summit. Not sure if they special ordered it for me, but i called and they got it for me no problem.
Old 08-28-16, 11:56 AM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I ordered my varex through summit. Not sure if they special ordered it for me, but i called and they got it for me no problem.
How long ago was this?
Old 08-28-16, 04:00 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Beginning of july
Old 09-05-16, 02:49 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
So after going through the entire thread, the varex setup is pretty much poor man's PPE dual system right?

Definitely inclined to have something like this.

Few questions:
1) anyone knows the weight savings over the OEM exhaust?
2) any documented HP/TRQ gains?
3) summit racing doesn't sell the varex version right?
1) & 2) ....... Anyone???
Old 09-05-16, 09:58 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a $600 exhaust that is based off the Joe Z, so you're going to look at similar gains. The weight is probably somewhat similar as well. We drive 3800# pigs, so a 10# difference is so marginal.
Old 10-10-16, 12:33 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more reviews on this exhaust ? Really debating getting one soon, comes to around 1000 shipped to me in Canada, definitely the cheapest choice or I do a car treats mid pipe and custom axle back with magnaflow mufflers.
Old 10-10-16, 01:04 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had mine on for a few months and it's just now broken in IMO. sounds really good. just installed the RR racing aluminum intake pipe and F sounds and drives better. I just need new rear tires to take full advantage of the power.
Old 10-10-16, 01:35 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I have had the Varex for a few months too - I am very happy.

The exhaust is quiet overall, no drone at all while cruising. With the flap closed it is like stock, with the flap open it is a muffled growl, almost sounds as if the exhaust is congested. For me, this is perfect - I do not like raspy sounding exhausts. If I could change one thing, I wish it were 10% louder with the flap open but the tone is great.

Performance wise, I noticed a little bit of improvement - but it was not a night and day difference.

Also note, I had my speed shop do the install (not a dedicated muffler shop), it bolted right on but I have some squeaking/clanking/rubbing going on while driving over bumps. Minor stuff, and only noticeable when driving with the windows down, but still annoying. I need to get to a muffler shop for an adjustment.
Old 10-10-16, 02:18 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mindcrime
I've had mine on for a few months and it's just now broken in IMO. sounds really good. just installed the RR racing aluminum intake pipe and F sounds and drives better. I just need new rear tires to take full advantage of the power.
Awesome, are you happy with the sound? I would love more power but the sound is really important to me. I want a nice deep aggressive rumble and something that puts a smile on my face when I floor it but still daily driveable. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-10-16, 02:21 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vervish
I have had the Varex for a few months too - I am very happy.

The exhaust is quiet overall, no drone at all while cruising. With the flap closed it is like stock, with the flap open it is a muffled growl, almost sounds as if the exhaust is congested. For me, this is perfect - I do not like raspy sounding exhausts. If I could change one thing, I wish it were 10% louder with the flap open but the tone is great.

Performance wise, I noticed a little bit of improvement - but it was not a night and day difference.

Also note, I had my speed shop do the install (not a dedicated muffler shop), it bolted right on but I have some squeaking/clanking/rubbing going on while driving over bumps. Minor stuff, and only noticeable when driving with the windows down, but still annoying. I need to get to a muffler shop for an adjustment.
Perfect, I'm probably gunna go with the non varex mufflers just to save some cash, and I like deep not raspy sound so that's good to know. I'm guessing the install is causing your issues not the actually product? And do you guys know if it's possible in the future to do a magnaflow muffler so I can have a quad pipe setup? Thanks

Last edited by InfamousF; 10-10-16 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 02:22 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd consider cutting off the resonators to make it louder.
Old 10-10-16, 02:28 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousF
Perfect, I'm probably gunna go with the non varex mufflers just to save some cash, and I like deep or raspy sound so that's good to know. I'm guessing the install is causing your issues not the actually product? And do you guys know if it's possible in the future to do a magnaflow muffler so I can have a quad pipe setup? Thanks
You can always add the mufflers you want - should be pretty easy for a good muffler/exhaust shop.

My issues are caused by the install, I suspect I need some very small modifications to the hangers that my shop was not equipped to do.
Old 10-10-16, 02:31 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

But that's with stock headers correct? May want those resonators for the day when you get headers.

Quick Reply: X-Force Exhaust - Review