IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Code P0420 after exhaust install.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 07:41 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Code P0420 after exhaust install.

Hey everybody I just recently installed the new X force exhaust system on my 2008 ISF with 72,000 miles on it. I've had the exhaust on the car for about 300 miles it when I was driving home from work today the vsc and check engine light pops up . I turn the car off when I got home and then turned it back on the check engine light was off but the stored Code was still there when I read it with the scanner P0420. I'm thinking maybe there's an exhaust leak even though it sounds fine. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-02-16, 07:50 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Did you remove the stock header or just catback?

I'm pretty sure the rear sensors might've been damaged during uninstall/install and it is not uncommon for someone to damage them during this process as they are prone to breaking very easily.
Old 02-02-16, 08:04 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by k20trick
Did you remove the stock header or just catback?

I'm pretty sure the rear sensors might've been damaged during uninstall/install and it is not uncommon for someone to damage them during this process as they are prone to breaking very easily.
I hope I didn't break 1 of the sensors since it cleared its self on its own but it will give me a good reason to call in sick tomorrow and check them out 😉
Old 02-02-16, 10:25 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah I feel you, sucks using those sick days for diagnosing car days... been there done that.

On a side note, assuming the primary sensors/header/cat was untouched during the catback exhaust install, did you take care of the o2 sensor wiring, they are easily damaged causing that code. I'm sure it is highly unlikely that your catalytic converters are bad.

Using some anti sieze on those threads will also save you a lot of pain in the future should you decide to remove the o2s in the future.

Who installed your exhaust?
Old 02-03-16, 04:19 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Also make sure you are not getting an exhaust leak at the flange in front of one of the secondary O2's.
Old 02-03-16, 05:11 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

AutoZone can pull the code for FREE so you can get a good idea what's wrong instead of guessing.
Old 02-03-16, 08:04 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Also make sure you are not getting an exhaust leak at the flange in front of one of the secondary O2's.
My money is on this. I would start here.
Old 02-03-16, 08:19 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
AutoZone can pull the code for FREE so you can get a good idea what's wrong instead of guessing.
Not guessing I have a code reader. A also installed the exhaust myself with a buddy.
Old 02-03-16, 08:31 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

tangled up o2 sensor wiring or exhaust leak connecting to the headers.
Old 02-03-16, 09:10 AM
Ah Lau
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
Hey everybody I just recently installed the new X force exhaust system on my 2008 ISF with 72,000 miles on it. I've had the exhaust on the car for about 300 miles it when I was driving home from work today the vsc and check engine light pops up . I turn the car off when I got home and then turned it back on the check engine light was off but the stored Code was still there when I read it with the scanner P0420. I'm thinking maybe there's an exhaust leak even though it sounds fine. Thanks in advance for any help.
This worked for me (not identical to the one from Amazon but similar in design and function):
Amazon.com: 90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension: Automotive Amazon.com: 90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension: Automotive

It basically makes the sensor read a slower exhaust gas flow, fooling the ECU into thinking the original cat is still there and restricting the gas flow as it should.
Old 02-03-16, 11:36 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ah Lau
This worked for me (not identical to the one from Amazon but similar in design and function):
Amazon.com: 90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension: Automotive

It basically makes the sensor read a slower exhaust gas flow, fooling the ECU into thinking the original cat is still there and restricting the gas flow as it should.
You can also use two spark plug defoulers. Attach them together and drill out the bottom portion on the first so the o2 can fit in there. I don't think there is enough clearance on our cars to run one like that so the angled adapter should work better.
Old 02-03-16, 12:41 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Cel shouldn't come on unless it was damaged or something. Assuming these are the secondary ones. I have zero problems with secondary cat delete joe z exhaust
Old 02-03-16, 01:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

exhaust leak or O2 sensor would be my guess. Anyone else with this new system have any issues
Old 02-03-16, 01:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Ah Lau
Amazon.com: 90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension: Automotive

Originally Posted by Joker4096
You can also use two spark plug defoulers. Attach them together and drill out the bottom portion on the first so the o2 can fit in there. I don't think there is enough clearance on our cars to run one like that so the angled adapter should work better.
This approach has been proven to fail on US model cars.
Old 02-03-16, 03:10 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
exhaust leak or O2 sensor would be my guess. Anyone else with this new system have any issues
I'm going to drive the car to work tomorrow and put it on the lift and check the 02's again and the front where it hooks up to the header and check for leaks. But again the car sounds great and I would imagine I picked up a few HP with this exhaust.

Quick Reply: Code P0420 after exhaust install.