IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake pedal requires a LOT of force to start the car (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 12:34 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
LOL I just went through this with my SA. The car is fine. What happens is when you get in the car you dont realize but you keep stomping on the brake pedal to get situated. When you press the pedal a few times the pressure gets pretty high and then you need to push really hard to get it to the point where it will start. LOL He said he had 2 people with IS350 and one ES this month with the same complaint. He even watched the people get in and start the car and pointed out to them how many times they stomp on the pedal getting situated and putting their belt on. Mine did this after my last track day when I got home and I was cleaning the interior. I went to start it and the pedal was rock hard,. I even freaked out and took it in right away. My car was fine
. I think they are replacing it because they can,

If you dont believe me stomp on your brake pedal 4 times before you start it . $50 says it feels like a rock when you go to start it
I agree you can recreate the hard pedal feel as you have described but in my case it will occur entirely on its own after not driving the car for a few days. Every time the car sits for a few days, without doing anything to the pedal it will be rock hard.
Old 07-28-15, 12:38 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Is the check valve a difficult part to replace? Rather just fix this myself since it's only a 30 dollar part
I am a pretty good DIYer but I figure I paid a lot of money for this car and I might as well get what I paid for. If it is under warranty why not let Lexus pay for the 30 dollar part ( or several hundred dollars if it is in fact the booster).
Old 07-28-15, 12:50 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I am a pretty good DIYer but I figure I paid a lot of money for this car and I might as well get what I paid for. If it is under warranty why not let Lexus pay for the 30 dollar part ( or several hundred dollars if it is in fact the booster).
True i just rather not deal with the hassle of going to the dealership if its a cheap and quick fix
Old 07-28-15, 01:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I would have let them replace it also. New parts are new parts .lol Just dont want you worrying about it
Old 07-28-15, 11:59 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justfme
My F is not my DD so it will sit for 4-5 days without being started. This happens EVERY time I start it for the first time after it has been sitting.
same here....i use my car once or twice a month...everytime i start it for the 1st time,the brake pedal will be super hard...i would step on it super hard until the PUSH START light will turn GREEN....once the car starts the brake pedal will go down all the way like it would normally
Old 08-16-15, 04:02 PM
justfme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer had my car for 2 days while I was getting new tires. They claim they never could reproduce the issue so they did not fix it.

Is this an easy procedure and does anyone have instructions on how to replace the valve?
Old 11-21-15, 10:47 AM
Chem1
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered a new check valve, did anyone change it themselves or locate a procedure to do so?
Thanks!
Old 11-21-15, 11:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Mine just acted up two days ago... Leaving from home and then work..
Brake pedal felt like a brick on first start up..

Thanks to Lobux's recommendation I cleaned mine with brake cleaner last night.. Soo far today the pressure remained in the brake booster..

If it keeps acting up or fails again, I will just order a new Brake Booster Check Valve & Grommet

2008 - 2014 • IS F Part Numbers:

44730-28030

90480-24015

Essentially as these things get old, they lose their ability to hold the boost over a long period of time.

Here are the pics I took last night..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-22-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-21-15, 05:53 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Joe, you da man. Thx for the pics.
Dennis
Old 11-22-15, 01:56 PM
Chem1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Joe!
So it looks like you just pull it out of the grommet and then push the new one back in. I kept looking for a way to get a wrench on it and grab somehow!
Old 11-22-15, 02:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Chem1
Thanks Joe!
So it looks like you just pull it out of the grommet and then push the new one back in. I kept looking for a way to get a wrench on it and grab somehow!
With 113k miles mine was pretty hard to pull out...
This means the grommet was still good..

Once you release the hose clamp and remove the hose..

You may need to use pliers or a flat head sandwiched between the grommet and valve to pry it out..
Do not pry against the brake lines or brake booster.!!

Be ready to grab it, if there is any boost left in there it will pop out fast..

Or first with the car OFF - just go pump the brake pedal till all the air is depleted..

For cleaning: I used brake cleaner to flush out the check valve and made sure to press the valve with the red squirter to make it flow while flushing at the same time..

Once it dried up I reinstalled... Grommet first - then the check valve.

If it happens again, I will swap out for new parts.. Even the grommet since its only a couple of bucks..!!

** Clean the valve at your own risk..!! **
** DO NOT spray brake cleaner into the check valve while still on the Brake Booster **
** Remove entirely, clean, let dry then reinstall..!! **

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-24-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 06:00 PM
Chem1
Driver School Candidate

Well I got the new valve installed along with a new grommet and I can't say that it has made a noticeable difference. Sometimes the pedal feels "normal" and other times it is hard to depress. Does anybody have a suggestion about what I should check next? Should I think about replacing the hose that connects to the valve? Thanks!
Old 12-06-15, 06:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Chem1
Well I got the new valve installed along with a new grommet and I can't say that it has made a noticeable difference. Sometimes the pedal feels "normal" and other times it is hard to depress. Does anybody have a suggestion about what I should check next? Should I think about replacing the hose that connects to the valve? Thanks!
You can check the hose that runs from it all the way to the back of the engine... Make sure it's not cracked or leaking anywhere... Especially at the connections.

Hopefully it's not the brake booster itself..

Joe Z
Old 12-06-15, 07:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
You can check the hose that runs from it all the way to the back of the engine... Make sure it's not cracked or leaking anywhere... Especially at the connections.

Hopefully it's not the brake booster itself..

Joe Z
The hose is possible but pretty unlikely. Sounds like the booster has issues. Do you have warranty left, or is this an out of pocket repair? If it is the booster, it won't be anything like cheap.
Old 12-07-15, 01:56 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i replace the valve and the rubber gasket and my brake pedal is still hard to depress on start ups....but once the engine is running,the pedal feel becomes normal.....i will check the hose for any crack or leaks.....i hope its not the booster

Quick Reply: Brake pedal requires a LOT of force to start the car (VIDEO)