IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

? on use of a battery tender.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 01:45 PM
xaznx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on use of a battery tender.

Hey guys we just got some ice and snow here in kansas and looks like its going to be cold for a while, so the F is going to stay inside where it doesn't see all that salt and crap that they throw all over the roads. So my question is I just bought a battery tenderer and have heard great things about them. I've googled and have had mixed thoughts on whether I need to disconnect the battery from the car or leave them connected and then charge with the battery connected to the car. When I trickle charge I normally disconnect the battery and charge, but I'm not sure what to do with the tenderer. What do you guys do? Thanks
Old 12-31-15, 02:10 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I have my tender connected to my car. Wanted to preserve all of my settings in the F.
Old 12-31-15, 03:01 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

If it's a proper battery tender, you should be able to use it without disconnecting the battery from the car. I've been doing that on my motorcycle since I bought it in 2009 and it still has the original OEM battery.

-Mike
Old 12-31-15, 03:03 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The battery voltage won't raise high enough to damage the electronics in the car with a battery tender, or a small charger for that matter. As long as it keeps below 15 volts electronics will be fine.
Old 12-31-15, 03:22 PM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

I've been using a Deltran 2 car tender for years on my classic cars. just hook up and you're good. Very reliable, microcomputer controlled. I've never used it on my F as I drive it everyday.
Old 12-31-15, 03:39 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeah - I just hook up mine and let it be. It turns off automatically when battery reaches full charge.
Old 12-31-15, 04:15 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a "Battery Tender" charger...I use it on my motorcycle and my cars when I am not driving them for a long time.

leave the battery in the car and hook it up.

I'm not sure what year your car is, but mine is a 2008 and the OEM original battery finally died on me without any warning (long crank, etc).

One morning I went to start it up, and got a long weird crank and said "hmm thats weird"...I drove it around the block, gave it some gas, came back home and let it idle for a bit...turned it off and the car wouldn't start...

Usually OEM batteries only last about 6 years or so (in my experience)
Old 12-31-15, 07:52 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I use the "battery tender Jr." On my NSX because I don't drive it very often. It comes with some low profile terminals that you hard wire to the battery with a small connector you run through the front grill. The other half just gets plugged into the wall outlet. As soon as you pull the car into the garage you plug the two ends into each other and, Boom! Commence trickle charge! Very easy!
Old 01-01-16, 10:30 AM
xaznx
Driver

Mines an 08 and still on original oem battery, I'm thinking the battery is going to die soon too
Old 01-01-16, 09:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I use the "battery tender Jr." On my NSX because I don't drive it very often. It comes with some low profile terminals that you hard wire to the battery with a small connector you run through the front grill. The other half just gets plugged into the wall outlet. As soon as you pull the car into the garage you plug the two ends into each other and, Boom! Commence trickle charge! Very easy!
I need this for my Supra. It goes a month sitting pretty often and it kills batteries like nobody's business.
Old 01-02-16, 06:50 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
That's the one I've been using as well.. I recommend it too.

-Mike

Old 01-02-16, 07:34 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I need this for my Supra. It goes a month sitting pretty often and it kills batteries like nobody's business.
Have you thought about an AGM Battery? I have switched both my vehicles, the truck and the F to AGM. A Bosch in the F and a NAPA in the truck. They hold a charge longer than a conventional lead acid battery.

Lou
Old 01-02-16, 01:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I've killed two red top Optimas in 6 years. One was full warranty, the other SOL. I bought a yellow top to replace it, but my use profile is very hard on batteries without a tender or charger. I've been using a 2A charger, but it's too much, and it doesn't float well like a battery tender does.
Old 01-03-16, 07:30 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006...yGL&ref=plSrch

I have on of those. Battery stays connected to the car when attach the battery tender
Old 01-04-16, 12:09 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I use one of these CTEK trickle chargers on my F.

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en

Works a treat.

Helps having a garage though to avoid theft, moisture etc.

Just pop the hood, connect up and turn it on.

Nice thing is it only draws electricity if it needs to top up the battery. Rest of the time it's not using any juice.

Quick Reply: ? on use of a battery tender.