IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

should I feel comfortable with this '12 F purchase?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 12:13 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Default should I feel comfortable with this '12 F purchase?!

Have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 F with 25k miles on it for $44k.
Only has 1 owner, no accidents, clean title, perfect shape inside and out (from what I can tell thru pics...haven't seen it in person as its 14 hrs away from me). It's the color/year/mileage combination I've been patiently waiting for for over a year! BUT, it only has factory warranty until March 2016 or 50k miles, which obviously March will comes first. Should I be comfortable paying this price/for this car with 3 months warranty?! It's not CPO. It also won't be my daily driver, I'd be lucky to put 5k miles on it in a year.
I've had my IS300 since 2006 and have loved every bit of it and has given me next to zero issues...now with 190k on it! If the F will be anything like the IS300, I think I'll be fine. But lmk your opinions please! Thanks!

V.
Old 12-16-15, 12:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, I would feel very comfortable. The worst thing that can happen is that you might want to consider extended warranty afterwards. It might be unnecessary, or it might actually be needed, but at least you'll have peace of mind. Just for reference, I purchased my extended warranty when I bought the car, and there were a few items I needed replacing. Some, like myself, felt that it was needed at time just to have that "what if" feeling in the back of your mind.

Other than that, for $44k, I would say it can be negotiated down to 41-42k for a better deal. I'm seeing some 2011 models that are going in the 39-42k range, so the 2012 model you're looking at if very reasonable (but it certainly can't hurt to negotiate). This is just a quick search on AutoTrader and cars.com.

Best of luck!
Old 12-16-15, 01:10 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps take it to Lexus and have it inspected. The only things I'd be worried about (assuming there's no documentation), would be front and rear brake pads, front rotors, and tires. Brakes and tires are pricey on these cars and they don't last long.

Lastly, be careful with the "no accidents" thing. No accidents and no "reported" accidents are two very different things. Lots and lots of cars are wrecked and not reported to the agencies. Based on my personnel experience, my guess is about 50%+ of the late model used cars on the market have been in a somewhat serious collision requiring body work/reshaping.

Make sure to open the doors, trunk, hood, fuel door, etc. and check for overspray and tape lines in the door jambs. Look under the car for scraps, dents in exhaust pipes and underbody panels, etc. Using a flexible flat sheet magnet, randomly test the panels for magnetism. The magnet should stick to all metal panels except the hood which I believe is aluminum. If the magnet doesn't stick, it likely means the panel has body filler. Not good. Visually inspect every panel in bright light to make sure the paint is consistent in color and texture. In order to do this, the car needs to be clean and not wet. Keep in mind bumper colors and other plastic panels can have a slightly different color shade and that's normal.

Last edited by XutvJet; 12-16-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 01:38 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like a good deal. I paid $48,xxx a year ago for my 2012 with 30k.

What color combo is it?
Old 12-16-15, 02:22 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

decent price I guess I feel as if I stole my car with all the prices I am seeing these isfs sell for
Old 12-16-15, 02:34 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 F with 25k miles on it for $44k.
Only has 1 owner, no accidents, clean title, perfect shape inside and out (from what I can tell thru pics...haven't seen it in person as its 14 hrs away from me). It's the color/year/mileage combination I've been patiently waiting for for over a year! BUT, it only has factory warranty until March 2016 or 50k miles, which obviously March will comes first. Should I be comfortable paying this price/for this car with 3 months warranty?! It's not CPO. It also won't be my daily driver, I'd be lucky to put 5k miles on it in a year.
I've had my IS300 since 2006 and have loved every bit of it and has given me next to zero issues...now with 190k on it! If the F will be anything like the IS300, I think I'll be fine. But lmk your opinions please! Thanks!

V.
I'd buy it! And if you are uncomfortable with the warranty ending soon, like Brian said, buy an extended warranty.

I bought my 2011 (non CPO) with 32k miles in November 2014 with about 6 months of warranty left. Only warranty work I had done was the bubbling headlight housing issue.
Old 12-16-15, 03:38 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

OK, I brought this concern up and they said they can swing $42.5k! I think that's an awesome price for a '12 with only 25k miles on it personally. They said I'd have fresh fluid change and also they put fresh rubber on it! Think I'll go for it.
Also, what does an extended warranty usually run? Can that be added on at any dealership?
Thanks for the replies again!

V.
Old 12-16-15, 03:44 PM
k20trick
Instructor

what color is it?
Old 12-16-15, 03:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

They said I'd have fresh fluid change and also they put fresh rubber on it! Think I'll go for it.
All tires are not equal. You may want to specify the tire. If stock sizes, go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Lou
Old 12-16-15, 04:04 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I brought this concern up and they said they can swing $42.5k! I think that's an awesome price for a '12 with only 25k miles on it personally. They said I'd have fresh fluid change and also they put fresh rubber on it! Think I'll go for it.
Also, what does an extended warranty usually run? Can that be added on at any dealership?
Thanks for the replies again!

V.
Check these out. Top Ten Extended Warranty Services
Old 12-17-15, 06:59 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

These cars are pretty solid, I would pull the trigger if you're happy with everything else.
Old 12-17-15, 08:46 PM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2012 for 42,995 with 16k on the odometer a couple months ago. I couldn't be happier. Best car I've ever owned. Go for it!!!
Old 12-17-15, 08:50 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Not bad of a deal
Old 12-17-15, 09:16 PM
k20trick
Instructor

wonder where the thread starter went, seems like he just vanished, maybe he just wants to be discreet about the purchase until he buys it. Really want to know what color it is though when you get a chance could you please let us know...
Old 12-17-15, 10:02 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Post and run. Ain't that dandy?! lol

Originally Posted by k20trick
wonder where the thread starter went, seems like he just vanished, maybe he just wants to be discreet about the purchase until he buys it. Really want to know what color it is though when you get a chance could you please let us know...

Quick Reply: should I feel comfortable with this '12 F purchase?!