IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Front Plate Holder Self Tapping Screws

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 06:46 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Front Plate Holder Self Tapping Screws

Previous owner did not run front plates hence the bumper hasn't been tapped into to mount the license plate bracket. My dealer gave me 4 screws, two to screw on the plate to the plate holder, and another 2 was to screw the plate holder onto the bumper. Problem is, they aren't self tapping so no way it can screw onto the bumper.

My question is what type of screws are you guys using?

Oh btw and I tried to order these and parts guy say pick them up free at the service desk which I did..
Old 12-06-15, 06:54 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were you i would run the plate thought the tow hook like a few peeps have done, dont ruin the look of the bumper.. I HATE the holes that are currently in my bumper from the front plate holder. Its hideous.. OR you can just run without a front plate, not sure if the cops down there search out for **** like that to write tickets on....
Old 12-06-15, 07:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The self tapping screw is part number 90159-60431. It's just a self tapping screw with a washer. I still have my whole mount with hardware in my parts box. No front plates in Georgia - just one more of the small reasons I left California for Georgia.
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (02-10-17)
Old 12-06-15, 07:18 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I grew out of that side plate stage, to me running the side plates reminds of back when I used to wear my new era cap to the side. I want oem look. I don't want to drill through that bumper, but in cali it will give reason to get pulled over which is what I don't want =( so basically Im probably drilling through it thanks for the screw part the parts person couldn't get that for me. Kept telling me to go up front and grab them and that they were free.
Old 12-06-15, 09:56 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for no front plate. I don't run one because I bought my car from Arizona and I wasn't going to add holes where there weren't any. Lol.
Old 12-06-15, 10:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You can always ziptie the front plate to the lower grille. A vender here, FIGS, sells this rubber ziptie that makes it economical so you're not constantly taking off and putting on new ties for shows or whenever. That's what I usually do, at least until I move out of state so I don't have to deal with this issue.

As a side note, I did pass by a few local cops over the weekend without my front plate, and they didn't even look my direction. But the one time I forget to put it on, while parked on the side of the street- that's when I got a ticket. And don't even bother showing up near LAX without a front plate. They're like bloodhounds for tickets there.
Old 12-07-15, 12:00 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
You can always ziptie the front plate to the lower grille. A vender here, FIGS, sells this rubber ziptie that makes it economical so you're not constantly taking off and putting on new ties for shows or whenever. That's what I usually do, at least until I move out of state so I don't have to deal with this issue.

As a side note, I did pass by a few local cops over the weekend without my front plate, and they didn't even look my direction. But the one time I forget to put it on, while parked on the side of the street- that's when I got a ticket. And don't even bother showing up near LAX without a front plate. They're like bloodhounds for tickets there.
I'll need to look for that ziptie. I got a new front bumper cover recently so no license plate holder holes for me!
Old 12-07-15, 01:49 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
I'll need to look for that ziptie. I got a new front bumper cover recently so no license plate holder holes for me!
That's how it should've been. I'm down with respecting state law, but drilling a hole into this bumper makes it so unattractive. The car looks much cleaner without.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=230
Old 12-07-15, 01:57 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I got them. Dealer hooked me up free because they said they misinformed me about the correct ones. Talk about good service! Now the question is to drill or not to drill =[
Old 12-07-15, 03:46 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k20trick
I got them. Dealer hooked me up free because they said they misinformed me about the correct ones. Talk about good service! Now the question is to drill or not to drill =[
Don't drill!
Old 12-07-15, 03:48 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
That's how it should've been. I'm down with respecting state law, but drilling a hole into this bumper makes it so unattractive. The car looks much cleaner without.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=230
Ordered, thanks! I think I was the only IS-F at the Lexus of Westminster meet this past summer who had the front plate on the car.
Old 12-07-15, 08:16 PM
subiepunk
Driver

I'm in CA and the previous owner had the front plate holes filled as well. I just put it on the dash so you can see it through the windshield. i haven't got anything for it yet (knock on wood).
Old 12-07-15, 08:41 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The stupid front plate just kills our cars' aero. But my new registration said "FRONT PLATE REQUIRED" and I'm to chicken**** to go without. And display my "Support your local law enforcement" frame 'cause I can't keep my foot out of it.
Old 12-08-15, 07:40 AM
k20trick
Instructor

All this talk about front plate or not. I dont know if it's the color of my car or the officer wanted to abuse his power, but I got pulled over yesterday literally after my 2nd week of ownership doing 65 on the right lane following the speed limit of 65 and I got pulled over and harassed about my car. Asking for registration, license, and insurance and where the registration is when the temp papers clearly show it was just purchased. He let me go in a couple mins, but these are things I want to try to prevent. Having the front plate on opposed to no plate helps prevent that.
Old 12-08-15, 07:53 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Maybe something like this. http://m.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS-F-08-13-FRONT-TOW-LICENSE-PLATE-ADAPTOR-MOUNTING-BRACKET-HOLDER-KIT-/391040268004?nav=SEARCH

Quick Reply: Front Plate Holder Self Tapping Screws