Brake Pad and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 07:50 PM
vsjaiswal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad and Rotors

Hello guys,

I cannot remember my previous login, but been a member here for a while.

I've been reading up on the brakes and rotors for this car, but can't really make up my mind on what to get.

I drive my car daily and put on about 20k miles a year. I don't take it to the track.

I just want to know what you guys would recommend for my car. I just need from brakes and rotors. I'm at about 2mm so really needing to get both replaced in the front.

Also on a side note, would you guys know if it voids the platinum warranty to add aftermarket exhaust and headers?
Old 12-02-15, 08:04 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will be ordering oem pads from Sewell but getting my rotors from ebay seller below. Other members from this forum have ordered from this ebay seller as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-F-08-14-Two-Front-Two-Rear-Disc-Brake-Rotors-Brembo-OEM-/351181119370?vxp=mtr&hash=item51c4069f8a&rmvSB=true
Old 12-03-15, 12:54 AM
Greatest
Driver

I agree. Oem. Got my front pads off eBay for 165 even though I didn't need them yet. I've seen rotors for great prices on there as well.

After reading through the long brake thread a while ago my conclusion was definetly stock pads. Preferably stock rotors too especially at the prices I've seen them at recently. If they're close in price to the raybestos get stock.
Old 12-03-15, 04:54 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

There are a ton of threads in here that talk exhaustively about the options for brakes for this car. Here's the most popular for reference: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

As for your warranty questions, you have to read the terms of your warranty carefully, but as a "general" proposition, modifying your exhaust system will void any parts of your warranty where the damage can even remotely be traced back to your exhaust. A cat-back exhaust likely won't affect your warranty at all, where a full exhaust and especially headers might. Obviously if you have a suspension or NAV system warranty issue, your exhaust work won't matter. That said, what issues can be caused by exhaust work? Many, many people have run full exhausts and/or headers on this car for tens of thousands of miles and for years without a single problem.
Old 12-03-15, 07:30 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

As far as brake pads, I decided to slap on Textar. There's a good thread on them in this forum. My rears still have a lot life left in them. I want them to wear evenly, before I upgrade to the good stuff. The Textars are extremely good for the price. They perform very similar to the Brembos. A tad bit more bite to them, and they're perfect! In exchange, I find them more quiet, a lot less brake squealing, great for daily driving! Modulation is good & they dust just like OEM.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-03-15 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 03:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I vote for stock. Still havent seen a track that they couldnt handle and they are quiet on the street. The dust is annoying but I dont mind it too much. Just wipe down the wheels
Old 12-05-15, 07:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

This guy and I disagree about the stock pads. If you are a fast driver, you will melt them quickly. But this doesn't matter to the OP. Street duty, anything commercially available will be fine.
Old 12-07-15, 10:52 PM
Mark79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone have any experience or feedback with Remsa brake products
Old 12-07-15, 11:50 PM
hamooduae
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

had the carbotech and the oem pads

both were good , no issues .. carbotech much cheaper and i guess performs same as the oem

coupe of days ago got me STOPTECH pads , =) lets see how it goes
Old 12-08-15, 12:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

To the OP, stick with stock for the streets. They perform superbly, and while they dust a lot, I'll take that over less initial bite or brake performance.
Old 12-08-15, 08:02 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
To the OP, stick with stock for the streets. They perform superbly, and while they dust a lot, I'll take that over less initial bite or brake performance.
I found them too easy to 'over brake' if you know what I'm trying to say.
Old 12-08-15, 02:56 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFCOBRA
i will be ordering oem pads from Sewell but getting my rotors from ebay seller below. Other members from this forum have ordered from this ebay seller as well.

Lexus Is F 08 14 Two Front Two Rear Disc Brake Rotors Brembo | eBay
Just curious if these come shipped in the Lexus/Toyota packaging, Brembo packing, or no packaging?
Old 12-08-15, 04:37 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Just curious if these come shipped in the Lexus/Toyota packaging, Brembo packing, or no packaging?
Last time I ordered the "Brembo" rotors they came brembo packaging.
I like the quality / manufacturing of these ones better than the OEM.

the brake pads "Textar" however are not identical to the Lexus part number - perhaps the pad material is similar or the same but the backing plate etc are not.
Old 12-09-15, 12:27 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
I found them too easy to 'over brake' if you know what I'm trying to say.
I think I know where you're getting at. I just figured for normal use on the street, dealing with traffic or congestion, and needing to suddenly brake for any reason, the OEM pads have performed well from what others have stated. I know other brands will probably dust less, but along with that comes slightly less performance. That initial bite for me really helps when someone quickly makes their way in my lane or tries to cut me off.
Old 12-09-15, 06:14 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I think I know where you're getting at. I just figured for normal use on the street, dealing with traffic or congestion, and needing to suddenly brake for any reason, the OEM pads have performed well from what others have stated. I know other brands will probably dust less, but along with that comes slightly less performance. That initial bite for me really helps when someone quickly makes their way in my lane or tries to cut me off.
I can understand that, but it reminded me a bit of my dad's LS460 - very on/off, except the IS-F actually slows down. I myself prefer a stiff, but more progressive brake pedal.