IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I8ABMR F'd Wild Horse Pass Main Track ( with M3 main straight drag race kill )

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 07:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default I8ABMR F'd Wild Horse Pass Main Track ( with M3 main straight drag race kill )

Hey guys. Finally had a chance to hit WHP Main track today. Apparently this course has been inactive/ off the rotating schedule for 2-3 years. I heard different stories as to why ( drag racing schedule and repairs) but bottom line is ITS OPEN !! This marks the 5th racetrack I have been on with my IS-F and the 11th track day in 19 months !!

The WHP main course is pretty cool. It has a stupid long back straight that they made from the tracks drag racing strip. My speedo and digital speedo on the radar detector both showed I was topping out at around 127-128 mph on the straight. Pretty fun but took a little time to get familiar with the course layout and to make things worse they didn't even layout braking cones for the straight so it took a few laps to figure where to haul this big girl down from almost 130 mph . I still ran in the advanced /orange group although I wasn't familiar with this course because running in the novice group feels like you are driving in a parade on the track . During the drivers meeting they went on and on about how this is a much more dangerous course because there is no run off area and there are hard walls to hit everywhere. We even had a pace car lead us out in session one so people could get a feel for the track before we were unleashed ( never knew an old orange Taurus could move like that)

This track is now easily on my top 3 list for AZ !! High speeds and the more technical in field area still suits the F and the corners dont cause any issues. In fact some of the infield corners we were taking at 75-80 mph Ambient temps in the morning when I left the house were 37 degrees. When I hit the first session it 44 degrees ( we warmed up the tires and thankfully we were the 3rd group out so the dust was mostly gone)

Had to race the M3 down the straight for 3 reasons ....#1 its an M3 #2 Its an M3 #3 he lined up on grip one position after me to taunt me SO I HAD TO TAKE HIM TO F SCHOOL !! I take him down on the first lap !! And in all fairness he was rolling on R888's and had an exhaust and what looked like a pretty stock suspension . If wanted to come back at me he could have tried but I left him behind. Both of us were talking before we headed out and it was also his first time running on this track too.

Viewer Note : My Radar detector has a GPS based digital speedometer on it in case you want to see the speed through the course. Its not always very visible but its there

SESSION WITH M3 ( a bit faster because I am slightly familiar with the track now)

PACE CAR EXITS AT 4:08 Forward for the faster stuff.

Some nice pulls against a Mustang Boss 302 for over a qtr of a mile. They are pretty even with the F if not even a slight edge on the high end.

photographer said he got some really good shots. I ran pretty hard in session one with the new WRX STI. Not sure if it was a special edition but it was all white and the front lip had a red accent line like a Nismo GTR.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-30-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 07:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Only shot I took today . Sorry about the quality
Attached Thumbnails I8ABMR F'd Wild Horse Pass Main Track ( with M3 main straight drag race kill )-photo4294966886.jpg  
Old 11-27-15, 08:43 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for sharing,great job with your F, your really show how capable this car is with some minor mods and some track seat time. This other reason why I don't feel need to jump into something else at this time. My friends have asked me if I would jump into the RCF I told them no, really doesn't offer that much more performance over the isf at this point. I just don't feel the need to drop $80k to 90k on RCF,M4 orC63 at this time. My F is payed off now, I can invest some cash into upgrading suspension components ie (Figs, RR Racing,ohlins C/O, skikky sway bars)for fraction of the price of buying a new car and still be extremely competitive with these new variants.
Old 11-27-15, 08:44 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Everytime I watch these vids, it makes me want to go track my F. The only thing I hate is rock chips on the front bumper which leads to cracking and peeling. Anyone know what to put on the front bumper besides clear bra to prevent chips and peeling?
Old 11-27-15, 09:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Everytime I watch these vids, it makes me want to go track my F. The only thing I hate is rock chips on the front bumper which leads to cracking and peeling. Anyone know what to put on the front bumper besides clear bra to prevent chips and peeling?
New bumper cover and fresh paint. That's what I had to do.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Old 11-27-15, 09:30 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Nothing like showing an E92 your tailights! Where is Jeremy Clarkson now? (probably busy telling his personal chef to make sure there is enough steak N' Fries at the house)

Good job!!
Old 11-27-15, 10:18 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I like how you told the guy in the car with the roof chopped off (don't know what type of car that was?) get out of the way damn......lol..........I was saying the same thing watching the video!

Sounds like you guys have access to more tracks then we do, I've never tracked my F but after watching your videos every time you upload it makes me want to go track the car!
Old 11-27-15, 10:26 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

You can use Amor All custom Shield , plastic dip, dupli color, or even blue painters tape just for track days.
Old 11-27-15, 11:26 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank for loading up vdo that look fun.
Old 11-27-15, 11:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Thanks for sharing,great job with your F, your really show how capable this car is with some minor mods and some track seat time. This other reason why I don't feel need to jump into something else at this time. My friends have asked me if I would jump into the RCF I told them no, really doesn't offer that much more performance over the isf at this point. I just don't feel the need to drop $80k to 90k on RCF,M4 orC63 at this time. My F is payed off now, I can invest some cash into upgrading suspension components ie (Figs, RR Racing,ohlins C/O, skikky sway bars)for fraction of the price of buying a new car and still be extremely competitive with these new variants.
Keep her !!
I think a set of coil overs are in my future too

Unfortunately ....NO
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
New bumper cover and fresh paint. That's what I had to do.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Yeah I got a couple of battle scars today . 6-7 little pin point chips in the hood. Dr color chip to the rescue

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Nothing like showing an E92 your tailights! Where is Jeremy Clarkson now? (probably busy telling his personal chef to make sure there is enough steak N' Fries at the house)

Good job!!
Honestly I didnt think I was going to be able to pass just drag racing it but I am so happy to see we can real them in. He backed off as I was passing but I had him.

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I like how you told the guy in the car with the roof chopped off (don't know what type of car that was?) get out of the way damn......lol..........I was saying the same thing watching the video!

Sounds like you guys have access to more tracks then we do, I've never tracked my F but after watching your videos every time you upload it makes me want to go track the car!
Do it !! It so much easier than you think and we are all here to help with questions and anxiety.

Originally Posted by Weapon F
You can use Amor All custom Shield , plastic dip, dupli color, or even blue painters tape just for track days.
Clear bra, and crossed fingers I see people all the time with the headlight taped up and I always think, Im not worried about the headlights. Im more concerned with the paint. Plus the headlight tape makes the photos look goofy. Ideally ,one would have the entire hood clear bra'd . I have the first 18" of my hood done and it has been really effective until today. I think today the much higher speeds on a dusty track was a bad combo but the chips are so small I cant see them unless I have a flash light. I didnt even bother to hit them with the Dr Colorchip because I couldnt see them while the car was parked in the garage during the day.

THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU SHOULD BE ON THE TRACK WITHOUT A CLEAR BRA OR 100% EXPECTATION OF CHIPS.........and in many cases there will be both.

As usual, Lobux knows what's up . Like he said, " Speed costs money ". The track is so much fun but there is always a little price. Mainly in rocks chips, tire wear, brake wear, and glass damage. I have picked up at least a dozen pin point rocks chips all over the hood, roof, and fenders. I have a few new rock chips in my new HRE wheels ( will have Quick Silver out to the house or will repair at the dealer like a clown for 50% mar up as usual ) and I know I beat on my tires today, BUT I have learned a lot about how to drive, finally got to experience my F on the track, made some really cool friends, and have a ton of stories and videos. Bottom line is tires and brakes are replaceable, non oem glass is only $300, and Dr Color Chip is no damn joke . All jokes aside like my wife told me this evening as I rubbed the small nicks and chips in my new wheels after todays session " Do you want a show car or do you want a race car ?"

CHIP AVOIDANCE : always grid in position 1 and be really fast ( much easier said than done ). Will work for the ISF in the beginners group and when you are following another car at high speed try to run off line until the braking zone or near it. You will probably notice this in all of my videos and it has worked really well. The second you move up you will encounter many people as fast and faster . No more scions, mazdas, and gti's. I saw a guy today in a Boss 302 who just had a lose piece of clear bra stuck to the hood and some guys put it on the glass. After recently fighting tooth and nail with GEICO only to find out that oem Lexus glass has about 75% of the visible defects that the aftermarket does I have no problem destroying my windshield since replacement glass is so cheap for our cars. I am just waiting for the pitting to bother in me in my line of sight. Luckily since I am a really tall it seems below my view point. So far.

What I am getting at is USE IT!! The car was made for this. The car wants this. Commuting in an ISF is like picking your teeth with a machete . I am sure we are all glad we got the V8. Many just need to find out why they put one in this car. On the street I still insist its just a bumpier and nosier IS350. On the track it becomes an F car.

I know my driving today could have been a bit better and my entry into the braking zone off the main straight was early about 90% of the laps I did but I had a great time and am glad I got to familiarize myself with this high speed track . I am excited to work on it. In fact the wife told me this evening before she went to bed if I want to head back out tomorrow to go ahead and go. They take " walk ins" and I could always cram my car behind someones trailer. SO TEMPTED TO GO BACK TOMORROW, but the F is all clean, waxed, interior fresh, AOS emptied, and rotor holes reopened. I would love another shot at that back straight and that early in field.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-28-15 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-28-15, 12:17 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Painters tape....
Old 11-28-15, 04:26 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great work buddy!!

It seemed like the slickest part of the track was the transition into the drag straight. It's too bad it was so tight otherwise you could carry more speed through that turn and probably see 140's! I'm really impressed man, your line has gotten so much cleaner, watch one of your old videos and see just how far you've come!

I was fortunate that the PO of my car clear bra the entire hood both bumpers and the side skirts, it makes a huge difference in protection. I have nary a rock chip anywhere, but I am always disappointed when I can't wax the hood to crystal clear clarity because of it. Guess it's a fair trade off.

Let's see. It's 7am my time, which means it's 4am out there. Time to get some coffee in you and get back out there!!
Old 11-28-15, 05:23 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Always love watching your videos! M3 didn't stand a chance !
Old 11-28-15, 06:46 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Thanks for the pointers guys. I do have a clear bra kit on my F but it seems my clear bra is going to need replacing on the front bumper. It's beginning to peel and I am deciding to either clear bra the whole thing again or just the front bumper.
Old 11-28-15, 07:16 AM
Jaysmith2k
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it love it love it! M3 slain....

Quick Reply: I8ABMR F'd Wild Horse Pass Main Track ( with M3 main straight drag race kill )