IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New ISF Dude

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 10:06 AM
nickt93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ISF Dude

What's up guyzzz. I picked up an Obsidian Black 2008 IS F two weeks ago so I figured I would make my way over to this section of the forum and introduce myself. So here goes...

Like most of you guys I'm a total car addict. My first car was a 1985 Saab 900 - it maybe made 90hp on a good day. Perfect for a 16 year old:

My second car was a 1990 Supra. I haven't left the Toyota family since! No turbo...which was probably good considering I was still a young and unskilled driver. Here's a picture from when I tried to sell it by parking it in my front yard with a sign on it and somebody instead jacked the rims and stereo. Doh!

My third car was where things really got good. In the summer of '99 I picked up a 1997 Supra Turbo. So good in fact that I've still got it! It's Alpine Silver Metallic over black, 6 speed manual, targa, and under 80k original miles (unmolested too; it's 100% stock). Here is a picture from the day I got it; picked up at Toyota's North American headquarters in Torrance, CA.

My first "second car" was a 1991 MR2. I had a lot of great times in this car - autocrossed and daily drove it for about 4 years. Can you believe that's a Maaco paint job? $700 well spent (I did all the prep work).

I won't bore you with the details of other cars between then and now, but here's what is in my garage at the moment (besides the Supra and IS-F)

2001 Lexus IS300 with a 6.2L LS3 swap. Some of you know this car; the build was documented right here on ClubLexus by ATSMATT. This has been such an incredible car - gobs of raw power, incredible suspension and brakes, and the priceless surprised looks on people's faces when they here the exhaust note or when you pop the hood. Unfortunately I'm about to let this one go - I don't drive it enough to justify keeping it.

Here is an older video that shows the car off nicely:

I've got a turbo'd 1995 Miata for a track car. I built this car so I've got a real attachment to it. There is hardly a bolt on this car that I haven't turned. I did the paint myself too.

Lastly, I'm currently building one of these. It's a Miata with all of the unnecessary stuff removed. It's called a SalvageWon Eliminator. Check 'em out!

And I guess I should share a picture of my IS-F (although you guys all know what they look like lol).

Looking forward to seeing you guys around the forum. My plans for the ISF are pretty tame - just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 11-23-15, 10:24 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool!! Welcome to the community! It looks like you've had quite the list of cars.

The Supra is a Gem! I can't believe you haven't modded anything on it yet. If I had that car, I'd be itching to do something to it.

Your MR2 looked gorgeous too!!

It looks like you do very tasteful mods. I'm looking forward to seeing some progress on your ISF. Keep us posted on your build(s)!
Old 11-23-15, 10:34 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome and glad there's another supra/Lexus nut around!
Old 11-23-15, 12:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Dude !! Welcome to the family. Very cool post. Man you have a little of everything.
Old 11-23-15, 01:09 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome the F world...not to confuse with F sport...lol..
Old 11-23-15, 01:25 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Incredible cars. Welcome to the F family and I hope we'll get to see more of your F as you've modified the others in the same way. Enjoy her to the fullest!
Old 11-23-15, 01:29 PM
Unleashed1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome list of cars man!!! I started with a 92 Toyota Cressida, the an 04 IS300 which was then fully converted to 2jzgte vvt! 2 different 2000 GS400 as a daily. 2 years ago I got my 2012 ISF and a bmw 335i coupe. I've been looking to sell the bimmer for a mk4 Supra as well. Congrats man!
Old 11-23-15, 01:32 PM
DylanC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow so many cars ! Very impressive line up.

I picked up an Obsidian Black a few weeks ago myself, enjoy .
Old 11-23-15, 03:21 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome to the family! I dig that IS300 with the LS3 swap

-Mike
Old 11-23-15, 03:41 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the club, impressive lineup and that SalvageWon Eliminator thing is sweet
Old 11-23-15, 03:52 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh damn awesome list of cars. I guess I should probably make a intro post since I have been here over a month now and come from similar car background. I also have a Supra, 1985 with 2JZ single turbo and my other car is a rare 2000 5 door Lighting Blue Saab 9-3 Viggen. I still love the MKIV but man they are like a grip now. You got yours at the right time!

You definatly have good taste in cars!! Welcome
Old 11-23-15, 05:14 PM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That Supra is nice! Welcome to the club!
Old 11-23-15, 08:10 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congtulation on the new ride. 1997 Supra turbo are classic and collectable.
Old 11-24-15, 05:46 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome story man, you have/had some pretty cool cars. I have heard of the LS Chevrolet swap, but haven't seen it in an IS300, very unique.

Please don't get rid of the Mark 4 Supra, it's a timeless classic!

Welcome to the IS-F family!
Old 11-24-15, 06:05 AM
nickt93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. overwhelmed by the warm welcome! I think I'm going to like it here. Looks like plenty of you also have other fun and cool stuff in your garages parked next to your ISFs as well.

Originally Posted by BPauto
The Supra is a Gem! I can't believe you haven't modded anything on it yet. If I had that car, I'd be itching to do something to it.

Your MR2 looked gorgeous too!!
Thanks man! I kind of can't believe that I somehow found the resistance to keep from modifying the Supra either. I bought a downpipe for it about 10 years ago (30-40hp!) but it is still sitting in the garage. I knew it would be a slippery slope if I modified even a single thing.

Originally Posted by Justind27
Welcome and glad there's another supra/Lexus nut around!
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Dude !! Welcome to the family. Very cool post. Man you have a little of everything.
No family I'd rather be a part of! Lexus owners are one of the best groups in my experience - smart dudes that buy quality cars but don't have over-inflated egos. My type of people.

Originally Posted by chris07is
Welcome the F world...not to confuse with F sport...lol..
I had to explain the difference between "F" and "F Sport" to my wife last week. She was pretty excited to find out how rare and unique the IS-F is (as compared to the more common F Sports).

I looked briefly at the production numbers of the ISF; think it was something like 11k cars (http://www.toyota-global.com/company...uction_en.html). That makes it about as rare as the R35 GTR, the MKIV Supra, and only a little more common than the NSX (7k produced), and more rare than the E30 M3 (17k produced). Most of these are total worldwide production; would need to dig deeper for the number in the US.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Incredible cars. Welcome to the F family and I hope we'll get to see more of your F as you've modified the others in the same way. Enjoy her to the fullest!
Thanks man! This one will likely stay stock (but you never know!)

Originally Posted by Unleashed1
Awesome list of cars man!!! I started with a 92 Toyota Cressida, the an 04 IS300 which was then fully converted to 2jzgte vvt! 2 different 2000 GS400 as a daily. 2 years ago I got my 2012 ISF and a bmw 335i coupe. I've been looking to sell the bimmer for a mk4 Supra as well. Congrats man!
Originally Posted by DylanC
Wow so many cars ! Very impressive line up.
I picked up an Obsidian Black a few weeks ago myself, enjoy .
Nice! I'm really loving mine - hopefully you are too!

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Welcome to the family! I dig that IS300 with the LS3 swap
Thanks Mike! It has been an awesome car - I'll be sorry to see it go, but happy to pass it along to a new owner that has more time to enjoy it than I do.

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Welcome to the club, impressive lineup and that SalvageWon Eliminator thing is sweet
Thanks! I'm eager to get the Eliminator completed and take it to the track. At ~1700 pounds it should be a blast to drive. I've got a turbo kit for it on the shelf in case I need to turn up the volume a bit

Originally Posted by Tokenblkgy
Oh damn awesome list of cars. I guess I should probably make a intro post since I have been here over a month now and come from similar car background. I also have a Supra, 1985 with 2JZ single turbo and my other car is a rare 2000 5 door Lighting Blue Saab 9-3 Viggen. I still love the MKIV but man they are like a grip now. You got yours at the right time!
Wow, very cool! I'd love to see some pics of your Supra and Viggen. Both sound really awesome.

And you are right about the timing on the Supra. I got a crazy hookup on the car through a friend of mine that worked for Toyota corporate at the time. I got it for $26.5k when it was 2 years old with 25k miles which was a total steal even back then. After the first Fast & Furious movie came out I would get people leaving notes on the car all the time wanting to buy it for $40k!

Originally Posted by CK21
That Supra is nice! Welcome to the club!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Congtulation on the new ride. 1997 Supra turbo are classic and collectable.
Thanks! Yeah, I hope to keep this one forever.

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Awesome story man, you have/had some pretty cool cars. I have heard of the LS Chevrolet swap, but haven't seen it in an IS300, very unique.
Please don't get rid of the Mark 4 Supra, it's a timeless classic! Welcome to the IS-F family!
Thanks man! Yeah, the car thing is an uncontrollable addiction for me.

Quick Reply: New ISF Dude