IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What a nightmare : F troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 04:17 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Alternator and battery *could* be related. If one goes bad, it's not unheard of it taking out the other, at least in the car I come from.

Fix it and drive on
Old 11-15-15, 10:18 PM
snackids
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying out tomorrow to pick up an 08 ISF with 94K miles. Hope I do not run into a similar situation!
Old 11-15-15, 11:04 PM
sethISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Everything is relative... go over to the BMW forums, at least you are not blowing your engine, tranny, mounts, driveshaft, or your chassis is not literally *cracking*

Rafi

I had a 2003 bmw m3 that I bought new and sold it with 167k. I replaced the water pump and fuel pump. That was it. But yes, I agree with you. The repairs don't bother me. It's he fact that they all came at once. It was just pretty disheartening as I stated earlier. On another note, I will be contacting you very soon for the borla exhaust. 👍
Old 11-16-15, 01:18 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snackids
Flying out tomorrow to pick up an 08 ISF with 94K miles. Hope I do not run into a similar situation!
Pics or it didn't happen.... Good luck!!
Old 11-16-15, 03:28 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sold my F at 104k miles, aside form that coolant leak from the center valley, no issues at all.
Old 11-16-15, 05:20 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dblock05
A Honda Civic SI is being compared to the ISF?
Both are Japanese cars and its not like failed parts are any different, if anything Lexus parts should be a higher quality
Old 11-16-15, 05:27 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by snackids
The white one in Louisiana?
Old 11-16-15, 05:50 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
Both are Japanese cars and its not like failed parts are any different, if anything Lexus parts should be a higher quality
I don't understand why ppl seem to think like this just because it's a Lexus. An alternator is made by a suppliers like Denso, Mitsubishi electric and there is others. Just because it a Lexus an alternator or car starter will not be built any different then say one for a Toyota or Honda or Acura it definitely would be of higher quality then say AcDelco
Old 11-16-15, 07:03 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
I don't understand why ppl seem to think like this just because it's a Lexus. An alternator is made by a suppliers like Denso, Mitsubishi electric and there is others. Just because it a Lexus an alternator or car starter will not be built any different then say one for a Toyota or Honda or Acura it definitely would be of higher quality then say AcDelco
Manufacturers can spec the products from their parts suppliers...so it wouldn't be unheard of for one brand to have a 'cheaper' product from a supplier in their car while the other brand has a higher end product from the same supplier.

I'm shocked anything lives under the hood of these cars. The heat in the engine bay is worse than the turbo Subaru I owned. I'm not shocked some electronics have died for some people.
Old 11-16-15, 12:03 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with everyone else
Sounds like real bad luck, but they are all wear and tear items expected for the mileage.
Should be non occurring until they are worn out again. The winter prob put more stress on battery / alternator too?
Old 11-16-15, 01:03 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by kiryu
Agree with everyone else
Sounds like real bad luck, but they are all wear and tear items expected for the mileage.
Should be non occurring until they are worn out again. The winter prob put more stress on battery / alternator too?
I am on original battery from 2006 with 80k miles on S2000. My car started fine even at -20F, was funny to see some much newer BMWs fail to start

Buddy with 06 Si had about 150k on original battery, replaced it last year

Last edited by kolyan; 11-16-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 01:12 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

historically, alternators in toyotas are pretty much guaranteed to fail. not sure why, but i've seen it on plenty of cars, including my sister's.
Old 11-17-15, 06:14 PM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

I am on original battery from 2006 with 80k miles on S2000. My car started fine even at -20F, was funny to see some much newer BMWs fail to start

Buddy with 06 Si had about 150k on original battery, replaced it last year
Are you still talking about that stupid SI? Not even in the SAME CATEGORY. I would just be able to buy 4 spare SIs in case a fuse went out.
Old 11-17-15, 06:59 PM
parasitius
Driver School Candidate

It's actually cool it all happened at once, now you can put all that **** that was gonna break behind you! Instead of being tormented with 1 thing breaking every 2 months for the next year... peace in the kingdom has been restored.
Old 11-18-15, 02:42 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by ghd8989
Are you still talking about that stupid SI? Not even in the SAME CATEGORY. I would just be able to buy 4 spare SIs in case a fuse went out.
That u would, but like I said battery is a battery. All those problems is something I would expect from an Audi or BMW. Unfortunately all my German cars had less then 100k miles so I never actually experienced any of those problems either and can't compare to them.
I bought 350 for wife and seeing threads that at 100k it could leak from every possible seal and transmissions going out is not really a Lexus thing. (Knock on wood, I hope it's a good car cause we both like it)
I also understand that **** happens to cars and its fairly common on Germans, but it doesn't make it ok.

PS. I too had e46 M3, had some issues here and there but it was CPO. Reason why its so hard to let my s2k go is the bullet proof reliability. People don't even replace a clutch until 200k miles lol

Last edited by kolyan; 11-18-15 at 03:17 AM.

Quick Reply: What a nightmare : F troubles