IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What a nightmare : F troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 09:12 PM
sethISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a nightmare : F troubles

So over the past 2 weeks, my car has been a nightmare. I just hit 100k miles about a month ago. 2 weeks ago, the radiator busted and had to be replaced. 5 days later, starter goes bad and is replaced. Now this morning, I go out to my car and it's dead in the driveway. I jump it off, and once it's running, the CEL, check VSC, and traction control lights are all illuminated. I immediately drive it to the dealership. Not only is it a bad battery, their tests show the alternator is also failing. What is the likelihood? I thought these cars were supposed to be reliable! Thank goodness I have a close friend that's a master tech for Toyota otherwise I would have been out several thousands letting the dealership do everything. 2008 SFP with 101k miles.
Old 11-13-15, 09:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

pretty low odds of it all happening at the same time but you are at the age and mileage where these things will happen. Thankfully your buddy can help you out. Sorry to hear about the drama but most likely this will be it. I dont think this is a sign of more things to come. At least I hope not
Old 11-13-15, 10:22 PM
sethISF
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that's all the issues I will run into for awhile. Now that the car is no longer under warranty, I'm in the market for intake/headers/exhaust. Hopefully these headaches are done and I can continue to enjoy the car for a long time.
Old 11-14-15, 06:32 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

scary, but at the same time If it were me I'd go build crazy on mine, only a few things I haven't really done yet which is permissing what breaks first I guess. Just rolled 96k and I drive it like I stole it everywhere
Old 11-14-15, 07:51 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ummmm...you're talking about a car that's been on the road for about 8 years now. All the items that have broken are common items to fail within that time/mileage range no matter the make. Also, that big engine crammed in a tight space isn't doing those systems any favors.
Old 11-14-15, 08:19 AM
sethISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by XutvJet
Ummmm...you're talking about a car that's been on the road for about 8 years now. All the items that have broken are common items to fail within that time/mileage range no matter the make. Also, that big engine crammed in a tight space isn't doing those systems any favors.

Had it just been one issue, I would not have even posted. The fact that the radiator/starter/alternator/battery all had to be replaced over a 2 week period is a bit disheartening. Hopefully that's the end of any issues for a while.
Old 11-14-15, 08:48 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wheel bearings , shocks , bushings are next j/k maybe not those are all wear item that will need attention soon enough.
Old 11-14-15, 11:45 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
I agree, just wear & tear parts IMO.

The whole alternator/battery/Voltage regulator/Battery wires all failed around 40k miles on my AMG. Entire cooling system were all overhauled on my BMW's around 80k miles. I'd be happy if these were the only problems you've had in your 100k mile performance sedan
Old 11-14-15, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

I'm at 120k and have had none of these issues. Sorry for your bad luck, but it is purely luck of the draw.
Old 11-14-15, 09:16 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Like stated earlier just wear and tear item considering 100k miles, battery went because alternator was was going. Just some bad luck that they all went at same time. Now if you were having tranny, or major engine problems I would be concerned. More of nuisance then amy thing else, good luck.
Old 11-14-15, 09:29 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a bad repair list for 100k miles. Let's put it this way, with my previous experience with Lexus vehicles I would have no worries keeping the ISF to 200k+ miles.

Would not try that with a Merc or Audi.
Old 11-14-15, 10:58 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'd say you are lucky I just sold my Volvo S60R to get munis... And that was after replacing my engine after the TCV went bad causing my engine to over boost and crater itself. 5300 later equaled new engine, turbo, and electronics.. All this happened with 112K on the clock...
Never again.. That's why I came back to Japanese cars.
Old 11-15-15, 06:28 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by sethISF
So over the past 2 weeks, my car has been a nightmare. I just hit 100k miles about a month ago. 2 weeks ago, the radiator busted and had to be replaced. 5 days later, starter goes bad and is replaced. Now this morning, I go out to my car and it's dead in the driveway. I jump it off, and once it's running, the CEL, check VSC, and traction control lights are all illuminated. I immediately drive it to the dealership. Not only is it a bad battery, their tests show the alternator is also failing. What is the likelihood? I thought these cars were supposed to be reliable! Thank goodness I have a close friend that's a master tech for Toyota otherwise I would have been out several thousands letting the dealership do everything. 2008 SFP with 101k miles.
Everything is relative... go over to the BMW forums, at least you are not blowing your engine, tranny, mounts, driveshaft, or your chassis is not literally *cracking*

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-15-15, 10:00 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure you can call this normal....buddy has 06 Si with 200k miles and he hasnt replaced any of that except for battery, and I am not planning to on my 06 S2k....
Old 11-15-15, 03:55 PM
dblock05
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kolyan
Not sure you can call this normal....buddy has 06 Si with 200k miles and he hasnt replaced any of that except for battery, and I am not planning to on my 06 S2k....
A Honda Civic SI is being compared to the ISF?

Quick Reply: What a nightmare : F troubles