IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help with 2012 Wheels, Options needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 11:15 PM
1wrenchguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 2012 Wheels, Options needed.

Happy to be part of the family. Just less than a month with my new to me Nebula Grey 2012 ISF.

Having always used a hand car wash place in LA, I had to go to a semi-hand wash place on Overland today. I noticed some serious in the white raw aluminum exposed on my driver side wheel. Seems like one of the employee got to much skinny pedal when getting the wheels into the automated tracks for the wash tunnel. Bummer... Good thing is they establishment admitted the accident and was willing to fix the wheel.

Anyone know offhand how much the OEM wheels are going for, I'm sure it's not cheap. Another option is to have it zapped on the gouge and re-anod'd? Anyone know of a good wheel repair shop in SoCal? Really like the stock wheels on this year. Not really looking for aftermarket.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-15, 06:47 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1wrenchguy

Having always used a hand car wash place in LA, I had to go to a semi-hand wash place on Overland today.
Was this the place near Venice Blvd?
Old 11-13-15, 08:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Happy to be part of the family. Just less than a month with my new to me Nebula Grey 2012 ISF.

Having always used a hand car wash place in LA, I had to go to a semi-hand wash place on Overland today. I noticed some serious in the white raw aluminum exposed on my driver side wheel. Seems like one of the employee got to much skinny pedal when getting the wheels into the automated tracks for the wash tunnel. Bummer... Good thing is they establishment admitted the accident and was willing to fix the wheel.

Anyone know offhand how much the OEM wheels are going for, I'm sure it's not cheap. Another option is to have it zapped on the gouge and re-anod'd? Anyone know of a good wheel repair shop in SoCal? Really like the stock wheels on this year. Not really looking for aftermarket.

Thanks in advance.
They're not anodized, they're painted and clearcoated. I don't know a good wheel repair in SoCal, but there is a SoCal subforum on ClubLexus and I am sure you could get some good local recommendations there. Something as minor as a car wash scrape should be pretty easy to fix.
Old 11-13-15, 08:21 AM
1wrenchguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Was this the place near Venice Blvd?
Yes Venice/Overland. Have you been there? After reviewing the cameras they owned up to it and agreed to have it fixed. Judging by the depth of the hit, it must have hopped the track. If this would have been my landcruiser or work vehicle I would have not even like, ...meh. But just trying to keep my new to me ISF clean.
Old 11-13-15, 08:23 AM
1wrenchguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're not anodized, they're painted and clearcoated. I don't know a good wheel repair in SoCal, but there is a SoCal subforum on ClubLexus and I am sure you could get some good local recommendations there. Something as minor as a car wash scrape should be pretty easy to fix.
Thank you buddy much appreciated. Still learning to navigate this forum.
Old 11-13-15, 09:57 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if this is true but the finance guy at Lexus told me EACH one of the IS-F wheels costs $3000 making it a grand total of $12,000 if you needed to replace all 4, tires not included.

But then again he was trying to sell me a wheel/tire insurance package so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-13-15, 10:09 AM
1wrenchguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Don't know if this is true but the finance guy at Lexus told me EACH one of the IS-F wheels costs $3000 making it a grand total of $12,000 if you needed to replace all 4, tires not included.

But then again he was trying to sell me a wheel/tire insurance package so take it with a grain of salt.
I wouldn't doubt that. Was this at Tustin Lexus? lol
Old 11-13-15, 10:33 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

~$1500 per wheel going by the part number if ordered from Lexus.
Old 11-13-15, 11:43 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Venice/Overland. Have you been there? After reviewing the cameras they owned up to it and agreed to have it fixed. Judging by the depth of the hit, it must have hopped the track. If this would have been my landcruiser or work vehicle I would have not even like, ...meh. But just trying to keep my new to me ISF clean.
Haven't been there but but drive by often. I usually go to the car wash on Sepulveda between Olympic and Santa Monica. Decent wash there.
Old 11-14-15, 09:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They might just repair with quick silver mobile wheel repair Gus
Old 11-14-15, 03:56 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in this day and age of internet in your pants pocket, I find it insulting that someone would try lying to get a sale.
Old 11-14-15, 06:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

He lied about 2x. They all do this. They also want to sell you extended warranties. I have a long story about buying the extended warranty on my original Supra, but it started with "What do you mean? The car is going to break on me? The salesman was telling me all about the awesome reliability of Toyota products, and now you're telling me it's going to break?" The poor guy was back pedaling so fast, he really thought I was going to walk. Works every time.
Old 11-16-15, 08:01 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled the same thing in 1998 when I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and he said what if the tranny piles up on you on a cold day.... I said the whole reason I am looking at Jeeps is for the reliability so you're saying the tranny's are problems on these?? My next question should have been do you have a studdering problem??

But regardless of the upsell a new wheel will be super expensive, I haven't looked into them but you can guess $1,000 or more even used ones are impossible to find